over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Advice from back pain sufferers

IDK these were the first ones. Ill let you know.

Watch for symptoms coming back... I had a bulging disc between L4/L5 and got 2 rounds of the shots 6 months apart. A few months after the last shots the pain came back worse than before. An MRI and a neurosurgeon found that the disc was jabbing my spinal nerve bundle and I ended up having some of the disc surgically removed. Easy surgery, as back surgeries go, but I felt stiff and unstable for 8-9 months.

I hope the shots work for you, they just masked the pain and allowed me to make my situation worse.

Comedy-
I have been dealing with back issues for 15 years. Intially I injured my lower back during squats. I have gone through every form of medicine possible over the years (chiro, thearpy, acupunture just name a few). I have had many injections and I have gone through a lumbar fusion with a screw fixation in Aug. 2007 (Johns Hopkins, one of the best in the U.S). Here I am 3 years later getting ready to go through another major back surgery next Tuesday. The first fusion never fused and because I was unable to change my lifting habits I blew out the disc below as well now. Now I will be getting both disc fused and replacement of the rods with 6 screws. My first piece of advice is what many have already told you here. Get away from the Chiro, and go see a really good spine doctor who can actually find out the issue. Then get a second opinion. I am 45 years old and the back is nothing to take lightly when it comes to a real injury!! Just my 2 cents!! Good luck

Comedy-
I have been dealing with back issues for 15 years. Intially I injured my lower back during squats. I have gone through every form of medicine possible over the years (chiro, thearpy, acupunture just name a few). I have had many injections and I have gone through a lumbar fusion with a screw fixation in Aug. 2007 (Johns Hopkins, one of the best in the U.S). Here I am 3 years later getting ready to go through another major back surgery next Tuesday. The first fusion never fused and because I was unable to change my lifting habits I blew out the disc below as well now. Now I will be getting both disc fused and replacement of the rods with 6 screws. My first piece of advice is what many have already told you here. Get away from the Chiro, and go see a really good spine doctor who can actually find out the issue. Then get a second opinion. I am 45 years old and the back is nothing to take lightly when it comes to a real injury!! Just my 2 cents!! Good luck

Well,As a Chiro and a person with a fusion of C6-C7 I have a lot of experience in being a patient and treating.A good Chiro would have ordered an MRI .
Many of you don't understand that wether its an M.D. or Chiro or whatever that the test is ordered and a RADIOLOGIST reads it,dictates it and essentially diagnoses the problem.So a good Doc(any type) would have ordered the neccassary tests.
Now, how you go about treating it will vary from Doc to Doc as philosophies vary.Hell you will have NO PROBLEM finding a surgeon ready to cut you open right away.Look up the success rate on back surgeries and see also how many each patient ends up having.So why not start with least invasive and move forward?

I would find a clinic that has a Anesthesiologist(does meds, injections and procedures),Physical Therapy, Chiro and has a relationship with an Ortho surgeon etc... That all refer to each other and work as a team.

Def. get the MRI.......... Also go see a physical therapist. Theres alot of new technology out there now thats non-invasive and giving people amazing results.
I got an MRI and was told it was nothing serious. My back would always hurt because of the nature of my work and then working out. If your lucky it could just be that your back muscles are getting so pumped that it turns to extreme pain. Sometimes strengthening your core can help this as well.
I eventually got cortizone shots in my back and hooked on hard core pain meds for nothing.
Last case scenario is back surgery which from what i hear is a 50/50 result in the long term. Good luck, get an mri, and try physical therapy!!

Kid1 as you have been on both side of the fence so to speak do you still squat and deadlift etc??

as stated in my earlier post i love heavy training and still want to build mass but can no longer afford to keep going back 2 steps at nearly 36 years old.

i know a lot of people slate leg press saying this can be more detrimental to backs however i find that by not going stupid heavy and taking knees almost to chest i avoid that lower back lift up.

back training i will keep to chins, chest supported rows, db rows and pullovers

I also had back pain i went to all kinds of chiropraters and nothing helped. I then decided to go to a ART( Active Release Techniques) I didnt even tell him where the pain was and he asked me if i ever have lower back pain and then pushed on the exact place the pain was present. He then told me my hamstrings were way to tight and needed to be streched. He gave me some stretches and in about a week and a half my back pain went away. so now everytime i start to feel my back start acting up i start doing the stretches and it goes away. I dont know if this will work for you but its a lot cheaper than surgery.

DBOL :D

jokes, Strech 3 times day, take prescription pain killers, move about as much as possible dont think cuase you got a bad back sit down all day ...only make it worse.....keep busy etc but dont hurt it but move about.

I hurt my back a few years ago and got a lot of advice from the guys here. I first hurt my back when I was squatting. So I knew that I needed to take some time off of squats; the problem is that I love squats and they seem to build me up the best and didn't really want to take time off from them. So I got a hip belt from ironminds.com that you strap on kinda like a dip belt but there is an attachment in the font and back to hold the weight evenly between our legs. It was one of the best buys I've made in a while because I can really feel them working the quads more than regular squats. I would actually recommend this exercise for everybody.
You can do these inside a smith mashine while standing over the bar or with an e-z (cambered) bar between your legs. My back feels fine now and I still do them because it put lots of growth on my legs and if my back ever does seem tight or achy I can bring it out on those days as well. Anyway, you can still get the feel of free weight this way; just an option. Good luck.

Super Squats Hip Belt for squats, dips, chins - IronMind-Ironmind Enterprises

Definetly start with the MRI. What really helped me was doing hip mobility exercises and stretching. Also single leg movements like lunges. And I really have to agree with pt923 about the hip belt. I got the same one and it was one of the best things I ever bought. Of course it won’t replace regular squats but it still gives you a great leg workout without much back strain. I found it to be a pain in the ass to try and hook it up to a bar so I only use the straps in the front and hook it onto the low cable machine. Also regular deadlifts really bother me but luckily my gym has a trap bar. It does involve the legs a little more but my entire back still gets sore from them and it doesn’t hurt my lower back.

Kid1dakota-
Well, this was not intended to attack Chiros like you may have taken my response. It was my opinion on getting an actual diagnosis before further treatment. I am in no way advising anyone to just go have surgery. Back surgeries will almost always need further back surgeries so it is not a fix I would recommend unless absolutely necessary. As I said I exhausted all possible methods before I had my first surgery, and held out for 12 years before it became an absolute necessity.
I won't argue with your opinion. You maybe a very good Chiro and kudos to you if you are. Comedy asked for advice from people on the board that suffered from back pain. I think I fit that category since I have first hand knowlege of a lifting injury that has caused serious consequences to my body over time and will continue the rest of my life. So I offered my 2 cents.
I wish you both well.

Kid1 as you have been on both side of the fence so to speak do you still squat and deadlift etc??

as stated in my earlier post i love heavy training and still want to build mass but can no longer afford to keep going back 2 steps at nearly 36 years old.

i know a lot of people slate leg press saying this can be more detrimental to backs however i find that by not going stupid heavy and taking knees almost to chest i avoid that lower back lift up.

back training i will keep to chins, chest supported rows, db rows and pullovers

I am on the fence LOL.I am a chiro but also have faith and believe in Western style medicine as It has saved my life.I Got a bachelors in pre-med and also got a nutrition degree.I was accepted to med school but chose chiropractic a few months before med school began.My whole family are Doctors and nurses and some pharmaceutical reps.There was a whole lot of unneccasary med bashing in chiro school and I was bothered by it.

I wouldn't let my friends or family just pick a chiro out of the phone book and go to him/her.I would want to see what techniques they use and there general philosophy.

But with training,first you need to figure out exactly what the heck is going on with that back.After that modify training based on your injury.

I do mainly front sqauts now,but still struggle to hold the bar correctly:eek:
For two reasons 1)its easier on my back 2) A recent review of exercise efficincy was published using an MRI (read by a radiologist)to determine which produced the most micro trauma to the target muscles and front sqaut was determined most effective for qauds.

as you said above about 2 steps back.Listen to your body and do the exercises you can tolerate and recover from to be able to continue training.

Kid1dakota-
Well, this was not intended to attack Chiros like you may have taken my response. It was my opinion on getting an actual diagnosis before further treatment. I am in no way advising anyone to just go have surgery. Back surgeries will almost always need further back surgeries so it is not a fix I would recommend unless absolutely necessary. As I said I exhausted all possible methods before I had my first surgery, and held out for 12 years before it became an absolute necessity.
I won't argue with your opinion. You maybe a very good Chiro and kudos to you if you are. Comedy asked for advice from people on the board that suffered from back pain. I think I fit that category since I have first hand knowlege of a lifting injury that has caused serious consequences to my body over time and will continue the rest of my life. So I offered my 2 cents.
I wish you both well.

Listen,Chiropractic has shot themselves in the foot.The education is good and the ones that practcice science based vs. philosophy based are effective and help many people.But too many are preaching weird hocus pocus and getting involved in areas of care they aren't adequatley trained and all the insurance frauds etc have hurt the professions reputation
Like I said above I wouldn't let my friends or family just walk into any chiro's office.But there are good ones that know the scope of their training and are really good at what they do.The education is more than most realise and first its a bachelors(4 years) than 4 more years of chiro school.The first two years are all the same basic sciences as med school.Florida State was going to have a chiro school where the med students and chiros spent the first two years together and then branched off.

My statements above were more trying to explain that it doesn't matter who orders the MRI it will be read by a radiologist.A couple people kept saying go to this or that kind of doc... well the test is really what matters to figure out the status of health.Once you get the MRI you can bring the results around and find out treatment options.

sorry kid i meant the fence in terms of being both a chiro and somebody who has suffered a back injury. i have a lot of respect for chiro's and feel i have a good one.

as for mention of stretching i have been doing this non stop for months. i do a full routine for hams hip flexors IT band etc

sorry kid i meant the fence in terms of being both a chiro and somebody who has suffered a back injury. i have a lot of respect for chiro's and feel i have a good one.

as for mention of stretching i have been doing this non stop for months. i do a full routine for hams hip flexors IT band etc

Oops sorry,I haven't had much sleep this week.

Stretching: It is great for certain conditions,but others require immobilization as stretching is contra-indicated.A diagnoses is really needed to recommend ANYTHING.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear