advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

After fasted morning cardio, best post workout meal??

Bio-hazard

Registered
As title says guys. What are u guys doing for a post workout meal after 60min fasted treadmill morning cardio to get lean? I usually do 9 eggs (2 yolks) and a cup of brown rice. Just wanted to see some other options and ideas.

As title says guys. What are u guys doing for a post workout meal after 60min fasted treadmill morning cardio to get lean? I usually do 9 eggs (2 yolks) and a cup of brown rice. Just wanted to see some other options and ideas.
If trying to lose maximal fat...protein and fats.

Eggs and spinach.

Egg whites and bacon etc..

Bcaa's immediately post. Then 30 min later... Egg whites and a serving of cooked oatmeal or 2 dry Ezekiel toast. In that ball park. 😁

BCAA's + L glutamine.

r-ala and all other GDA's

Egg whites. (shower)

2 packs of cheese flavored grits plus 2 packs low sugar flavored oatmeal.

Grits provide an easy to digest carb, oatmael (even quick oats) digest a bit more slowly.
I found that if I did all oats in that quantity I had bloating and distention.

Occasionally insulin after the meal usually 4-6 iu's if I do it at all.

I already drink BCAA during the cardio. So is the brown rice what I've been doing not that great? Seems like oatmeal or grits is the way. AJ, if i did that meal, then did 5iu, would you use the 40-50g fast carbs 10min after the slin? Then more protein or just nothing till next meal?

Last edited:
I take BCAA's before and during the cardio.

Directly after is 1 scoop of Whey with either a Banana or Rice Cakes. Basically just a small meal with little fat and 25g of Protein and Carbs.

Then I hit the shower, get ready for the day. Then 30-45 minutes later I start cooking my whole breakfast which right now is Eggs, Top Sirloin, Ezekiel Bread, and Orange Juice. Eat that about an hour after the small protein shake.

I already drink BCAA during the cardio. So is the brown rice what I've been doing not that great? Seems like oatmeal or grits is the way. AJ, if i did that meal, then did 5iu, would you use the 40-50g fast carbs 10min after the slin? Then more protein or just nothing till next meal?

Thats why I have a mixture of somewhat fast digesting mixed with somewhat slow digesting carbs.
You get the faster acting in there first and let the slow acting pick up the back end.
I take my insulin after the meal I do the shot IM which cuts the time down by half, and speeds up entry.
I have no problems with hypo I also do about 4-6 iu's depending on how many grams of carb I have with the meal.
Which ranges from 80-120 grams. Depends on what Im doing with my overall diet.

BCAAs are a poor choice... in order for BCAAs to activate protein synthesis they need to have an amino acid pool to draw from. I've posted this before, but BCAAs (particularly leucine) are like the construction workers to build a house. They are there to get the job started, but without supplies, they can't get the job done. The rest of the EAAs are the supplies, they allow protein synthesis to take place and become engaged when called upon by leucine.

During cardio I would drink EAAs

Post cardio, have a protein fat meal. Whole eggs and egg whites, eggs and avocado, eggs and bacon (as knight suggested), beef or chicken with avocado or another fat...

BCAAs are a poor choice... in order for BCAAs to activate protein synthesis they need to have an amino acid pool to draw from. I've posted this before, but BCAAs (particularly leucine) are like the construction workers to build a house. They are there to get the job started, but without supplies, they can't get the job done. The rest of the EAAs are the supplies, they allow protein synthesis to take place and become engaged when called upon by leucine.

Post cardio, have a protein fat meal. Whole eggs and egg whites, eggs and avocado, eggs and bacon (as knight suggested), beef or chicken with avocado or another fat...

I agree, by eating protein and fats after AM cardio or simply for breakfast will maximize fat loss.

Knight and Mental hit it on the nose. For max fat loss Protein+Fats. NOOOO carbs.

I agree, by eating protein and fats after AM cardio or simply for breakfast will maximize fat loss.

Knight and Mental hit it on the nose. For max fat loss Protein+Fats. NOOOO carbs.

Meh...thats pushing too much of a keto-diet for me- its a highly personalized deal when it comes to this subject- there are two schools of thought here and Im not looking to debate this but best for fat burning? perhaps, but Im not a big fan of not getting carbs in after any workout, especially at a point where your body is highly primed for uptake.
I take them in with that meal the subsequent meals I can go low or zero then again carbs pre workout, intra, and post workout -then back to no carbs.

And I know some guys are going to disagree with me but wtf happens to your muscle when you do that?
Guys all cry about catabolism, well you're going to have some then, be flat and drawn for workouts - at least thats what happens to me.
I think thats something that some trial and error can help decide which is the better fit- but not this guy-ever.
Just my way.

Last edited:
Meh...thats pushing too much of a keto-diet for me- its a highly personalized deal when it comes to this subject- there are two schools of thought here and Im not looking to debate this but best for fat burning? perhaps, but Im not a big fan of not getting carbs in after any workout, especially at a point where your body is highly primed for uptake.
I take them in with that meal the subsequent meals I can go low or zero then again carbs pre workout, intra, and post workout -then back to no carbs.

And I know some guys are going to disagree with me but wtf happens to your muscle when you do that?
Guys all cry about catabolism, well you're going to have some then, be flat and drawn for workouts - at least thats what happens to me.
I think thats something that some trial and error can help decide which is the better fit- but not this guy-ever.
Just my way.

I agree with this.

In my opinion, you take advantage of the benefits fasted cardio gives you.. and then when you're done. It's time to eat and fuel your body and muscles. Same principal goes for post workout cardio.

I always did bcaa's before and during no carbs till before and right after my lifts. not before and after cardio, thats where I saw my fat drastically drop off.

Basing this of Dats amaizng board and research driven opinion for max fat loss and health eat nothing. Maybe some coffee with a very small amount of cream or coconut oil. But fasting post cardio is a great way to keep fat burning at max. Bcaas and EAAs and food in general will elevate insulin and shut down a good chunk of fat burning. Why not keep it elevated for longer and then have an anabolic portion of the day around weights

Basing this of Dats amaizng board and research driven opinion for max fat loss and health eat nothing. Maybe some coffee with a very small amount of cream or coconut oil. But fasting post cardio is a great way to keep fat burning at max. Bcaas and EAAs and food in general will elevate insulin and shut down a good chunk of fat burning. Why not keep it elevated for longer and then have an anabolic portion of the day around weights

Again its personal preference, I burn fat just fine eating carbs post cardio.
Besides knowing your actual basal metabolism doesn't stay elevated very long with cardio compared to weights Im really not seeing the benefit of an extra 45 min of diminishing returns.
You fasted, you did cardio (fat burning) now eat...just my opinion speaking- no science at all.

This is a great debate. Keeping an eye on this thread for sure. Mentalflex, how much EAAs should a person be drinking weighing 200 or so? I've been using EAAs during workout 10g with extra leucine, but for cardio, 10g as well? Prior to cardio I like having coffee with green tea extract or taurine. Anything be cool to add with this time? Thanks!

TP4U I see you lurking down there - would love to hear your input on this, we had this discussion about a month ago and you had a solid protocol.
Would like to hear you shine some light on the subject.

Just my way.
Skipping carbs at your first meal isn't anywhere near approaching a keto diet.

Glycogen stores for a workout later on will be dependent on carb intake the day before and you will have other meals that same day with carbs (and intra workout in my case). Not eating carbs after fasted cardio is not going to cause you any catabolic loss.

Last edited:
This is a great debate. Keeping an eye on this thread for sure. Mentalflex, how much EAAs should a person be drinking weighing 200 or so? I've been using EAAs during workout 10g with extra leucine, but for cardio, 10g as well? Prior to cardio I like having coffee with green tea extract or taurine. Anything be cool to add with this time? Thanks!

The answer is, it depends... it depends on the type of training, what you ate prior to training, how much volume, goals... etc... There is not concrete evidence via research for an "optimal" dose of EAAs, but some research suggests the equivalent amount of EAAs in 25g of whey protein will produce a maximal protein synthetic response. If training with a good amount of volume, I would suggest more... Depending on how many muscle groups and volume, I would suggest 20-30g EAAs and at least 5g leucine... This is consistent with Mountaindog's recommendations in the intra workout thread....

For cardio, 10g of EAAs should be fine.... if you wanted to simulate more fat loss, try yohimbine HCl at .2mg per kg of bodyweight prior to cardio

Skipping carbs at your first meal isn't anywhere near approaching a keto diet.

Glycogen stores for a workout later on will be dependent on carb intake the day before and you will have other meals that same day with carbs (and intra workout in my case). Not eating carbs after fasted cardio is not going to cause you any catabolic loss.

This I know, but as you just pointed out skipping them will have a lag effect into the next day.
Im fully aware of the stored glycogen being from the day befores breakfast so skipping today's will come up short in the next 24 hours...no?
So pick your poison, exactly where and when do you want to come up short on glycogen reserves?
And it may not be exactly a ketogenic diet but is surely is using a similar methodology no carbs high fats...again...am I wrong on this?

My thing is at 260 and an intake of low 200's on some days for carbs, Im taking in so little I might as well have next to none, I just get them in during higher metabolic event times.
Again I don't have any super duper science theories here, just some trial and error.
Not knocking guys who want to skip post cardio carbs, it probably works for some people but all its going to do is make me hungry the rest of the day, and Im going to be like that with meals 2-5 anyways.
Those meals for me are low.
Like today, did cardio this morning fasted, took GDA before with one cup black coffee.
Came back did BCAA+glutamine - while cooking breakfast- ate eggwhites with grits, then oatmeal.
104 grams of carbs roughly.
The next 4 meals I get 66 grams of carbs divided evenly between them thats 15 and change per meal, at 260 thats like having no carbs, but its enough to maintain my BS for brain function through out the day.
Meal 6 will be vegetables and protein only, then Ill do my peps, 1 mg CJC+GH frag. Get on the bike and do 35 min of cardio.
Again, Ill come back have 50 gr whey protein, and 40 gram sweet potato powder.
The next meal will be protein and fat only.
Now thats for me, if I want to do more fat burring then I'll do the post cardio meal as whole foods, with very low carbs 20 gr.
But if fats coming off I see no need to deny myself the carbs when not only am I trying to lose body fat but Im also attempting to keep my muscle intact and minimize catabolism, for that you need some carbs, now finding the sweet spot for how much?
Well that takes some personal experimentation- as we mentioned earlier.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws