over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Ammonia Smell Help!

EAPFAN

Newbies
I did a search on this topic, and found that if your sweat has a STRONG ammonia smell, then you are in Ketosis. I am a little confused as to what Ketosis exactly is and HOW do I get rid of that embarrassing ammonia smell. I just recently started a cycle of 500 mg Sust. and 300mg. EQ. during my first 10 days. Before this I had NO ammonia smell. Last year with a heavy cycle of Sust. and EQ, I had NO smell! Go figure... this is why I am SO confused! Please HELP!!!
I have also NOT noticed any good preliminary "jolt" in gains like I did last year when I first started the cycle.
Thanks for all the help in advance guys!

easy fix

now ive come across that glutamine taken orally is garbage, but in the aspect of that ammonia smell it will help dissolve it. Go get some Glutamine, take it with every meal if u have to.... smell will be gone!

gooey

now ive come across that glutamine taken orally is garbage, but in the aspect of that ammonia smell it will help dissolve it. Go get some Glutamine, take it with every meal if u have to.... smell will be gone!

gooey

I do take about 10mg of Glutamine a day, should I take more? Do you think this ammonia smell has ANYTHING to do with the poor gains being exhibited?
Thanks for your help Gooey!!

What does your diet look like and how many carbs are you taking in? To be in ketosis you have to be eating basically no carbs.

What does your diet look like and how many carbs are you taking in? To be in ketosis you have to be eating basically no carbs.

My carb intake has not changed from before I started the cycle. I havn't really checked, but I know there has been no drastic change. My carb intake has been pretty much normal, about 50% of my total diet. I'm 240lbs with about a 10% body fat index at 6' 2"

My carb intake has not changed from before I started the cycle. I havn't really checked, but I know there has been no drastic change. My carb intake has been pretty much normal, about 50% of my total diet. I'm 240lbs with about a 10% body fat index at 6' 2"

You are not in ketosis. Besides, ketosis makes your breath smell bad, but not like ammonia.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm

it means you are using way to many aa's to make atp and your body cant get rid of the NH3 fast enough through the usual pathway of excreting uric acid. Not a good thing and doesnt have anything to do with ketosis.

it means you are using way to many aa's to make atp and your body cant get rid of the NH3 fast enough through the usual pathway of excreting uric acid. Not a good thing and doesnt have anything to do with ketosis.

More info! GREAT! Keep it coming!! Is there such a thing as having too much info????:eek:

I do take about 10mg of Glutamine a day, should I take more?

10 mg!?!? Thats like nothing. Are you sure you dont mean 10 grams? I usually get in around 30 grams of glutamine/day.

10 mg!?!? Thats like nothing. Are you sure you dont mean 10 grams? I usually get in around 30 grams of glutamine/day.

You are right, sorry. I don't know what I was thinking of! Grams is correct. Should I bump it up to 30 grams a day?

You are right, sorry. I don't know what I was thinking of! Grams is correct. Should I bump it up to 30 grams a day?

Well, if your training heavy, and especially if your dieting, you should be getting in about 0.15 x your bodyweight in grams of glutamine. I dont really know if it will help with the smell, but it will greatly help your recovery. I usually do about 5 grams before a workout, 15 grams after, 5 grams before bed. Because glutamine is the first amino acid to be oxidized from the muscle during training, it needs to be replaced, and IMO, more is better when it comes to glutamine.

I don't think glutamine will help in this situation especialy since it is the main source of ammonia(NH3=amine in amino acid) in the body. Ketosis is caused by lack of glucose derived from carbs for energy source. Since the brain can only use glucose for energy the body creates ketone bodies which can be as energy sources.

Long story short up your carbs and make sure you are injesting some high GI carbs before training sess.

I don't think glutamine will help in this situation especialy since it is the main source of ammonia(NH3=amine in amino acid) in the body. Ketosis is caused by lack of glucose derived from carbs for energy source. Since the brain can only use glucose for energy the body creates ketone bodies which can be as energy sources.

Long story short up your carbs and make sure you are injesting some high GI carbs before training sess.

i didnt say glutamine would help with the smell.

I'm in Ketosis!
This took me 5 days @ zero carbs to fully deplete, I just hit today according to the ketosticks. You are not in ketosis if your consuming carbs daily. The ammonia smell usually is in Urine not so much sweat.

How is your diet, and what supps are you taking though? There are many supps that will make you stink.

Attachments

• 0511080002.jpg
    0511080002.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 238
I'm in Ketosis!
This took me 5 days @ zero carbs to fully deplete, I just hit today according to the ketosticks. You are not in ketosis if your consuming carbs daily. The ammonia smell usually is in Urine not so much sweat.

How is your diet, and what supps are you taking though? There are many supps that will make you stink.

Had a couple of workouts since this thread began, and took the advise of x-tra water, x-tra Glutamine (about 25G/day), and x-tra carbs b4 the workout, and NO ammonia smell!!!!! Don't know if it was any one thing in particular or a combination but something worked! Thanks guys for ALL the help!!
My diet is pretty strict by average standards- x-tra protein, 40% Carbs and about 20% fats. Supplements are Vitamin C, B-Complex, and E.
Thanks!!!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88