advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any Athletic Trainers Out There? How Did You Start?

Millineum Man

Registered
Good evening, guys. Just a little background on myself. I'm 49 years old soon to 50, former college athlete (basketball and football), amateur boxer who lives in South Texas. Still in decent shape at 6'4" 250lbs.:)Currently, I train a 2 high school and 1 college athletes just as a hobby out of my garage. I started out training a friend's son as a favor. Nothing major, I barely charge anything and just wanted to give something back to some kids that don't have much. I have a decent amount of commercial equipment (Powernetics Bear Squat, Power Trainer, Precor 45 Degree Hyper, Lat Pulldown/Seated Row, Seated Leg Curl, Icarian Leg Extension, Cybex Squat Press, Star Trac 3D Smith Machine, Dip Stand, Dumbbells 5-120lbs, Landmine, Soft Plyo Boxes 6"-24", and Adjustable Track Hurdles. I'm thinking of really going after it and expanding catering to younger athletes (10-18 years old) for a variety of sports eventually making this a semi-fulltime business if I can. I don't have a twitter account or an IG/Facebook page. Is there any tips or ideas that you would recommend? Especially, since I'm just starting out. Thanks in advance for your help!

Just a personal trainer or a real athletic trainer who is on staff of a sports team? Many of my college friends have undergrad in exercise science...not a single one is doing anything in the field. From what I know there is a surplus of people who want these jobs and it's shit pay and long hours. Maybe the top guys like the SC coaches of major programs (sec, big 10) make $$ but many don't. Do you have a degree in kinesiology?

Just a personal trainer or a real athletic trainer who is on staff of a sports team? Many of my college friends have undergrad in exercise science...not a single one is doing anything in the field. From what I know there is a surplus of people who want these jobs and it's shit pay and long hours. Maybe the top guys like the SC coaches of major programs (sec, big 10) make $$ but many don't. Do you have a degree in kinesiology?
My undergrad was in athletic training and man, this is spot on. One guy from my graduating class went on the be the AT for the eagles. Aside from that, every single one of us does something completely unrelated.

To your point, after reading his post, I tend to think he means personal trainer.

Good evening, guys. Just a little background on myself. I'm 49 years old soon to 50, former college athlete (basketball and football), amateur boxer who lives in South Texas. Still in decent shape at 6'4" 250lbs.:)Currently, I train a 2 high school and 1 college athletes just as a hobby out of my garage. I started out training a friend's son as a favor. Nothing major, I barely charge anything and just wanted to give something back to some kids that don't have much. I have a decent amount of commercial equipment (Powernetics Bear Squat, Power Trainer, Precor 45 Degree Hyper, Lat Pulldown/Seated Row, Seated Leg Curl, Icarian Leg Extension, Cybex Squat Press, Star Trac 3D Smith Machine, Dip Stand, Dumbbells 5-120lbs, Landmine, Soft Plyo Boxes 6"-24", and Adjustable Track Hurdles. I'm thinking of really going after it and expanding catering to younger athletes (10-18 years old) for a variety of sports eventually making this a semi-fulltime business if I can. I don't have a twitter account or an IG/Facebook page. Is there any tips or ideas that you would recommend? Especially, since I'm just starting out. Thanks in advance for your help!

So it's sounds like you are more talking strength and conditioning vs Athletic Trainer (ATC, as in sports med, injury stuff, etc.). My undergrad is in Athletic Training.

For your purposes you have a couple options...

1. Get nothing. Spread the word based on reputation alone and build up a clientele. I'd still recommend getting your CPR/AED certification. As an Athletic Trainer who has seen three players die on the field...best to be prepared (and from a liability standpoint it would be smart).

2. Go get your CSCS https://www.nsca.com/certification/cscs/cscs-exam-prerequisites/ . If you have a bach degree (in any major), you can take it. It's not super tough but you will need to memorize things as they see it (which may be different from what really works or what you believe). It can also be a bit challenging if you don't have an anatomy or physiology, etc. background. Memorize this book and you will be fine: https://www.nsca.com/store/product-detail/BOOK/2275/9781718210868 . You can build up your clientele and do this at the same time. Ultimately it would help you to get this and will separate you from #3 below:

3. Get some random personal training certification. A trained monkey could get this though and honestly it doesn't mean much to anyone. Probably better than nothing though.

My undergrad was in athletic training and man, this is spot on. One guy from my graduating class went on the be the AT for the eagles. Aside from that, every single one of us does something completely unrelated.

To your point, after reading his post, I tend to think he means personal trainer.

Hello my fellow ATC! I actually just put my credentials in retirement status after 20 years of being certified. Funny thing is just like you experience my first job out of college was in medical device and been doing that for 19 years. Tough professional to really build a life around if you stay in typical athletic training work.

Hello my fellow ATC! I actually just put my credentials in retirement status after 20 years of being certified. Funny thing is just like you experience my first job out of college was in medical device and been doing that for 19 years. Tough professional to really build a life around if you stay in typical athletic training work.
15+ years of beer sales myself. Considered med device sales as it is potentially more money, but damn do I have it so easy. Can't imagine doing anything else, especially AT hahah

15+ years of beer sales myself. Considered med device sales as it is potentially more money, but damn do I have it so easy. Can't imagine doing anything else, especially AT hahah

That's awesome! I had a relative that was the head ATC at University of Michigan and then the Detroit Tigers and I was determined to be one of those "super trainers". Then you see how crappy it is in real life lol. I work on a clinical side of things as well as government relations, etc. and I enjoy working in the medical environment but damn being an ATC sucks.

Check out Juggernaut Training Systems, that sounds exactly right up your Alley! Hands on, actual useful stuff, no useless fluff.

Worth every penny.

And check out their YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/CWSmith52

As for growing your client base - I would keep it word of mouth, with a small internet presence on Instagram etc. Get the parents of other kids interested, incentive your clients to bring in friends etc. Since you are based to your location, that's the best way to get local people involved and interested in you. Maybe show up at the sport events of your athletes, get known, get people interested in you by showing results.

Alot of my college friends did the medical sales (pharmacy drugs, equipment) with their kinesiology degree. Apparently it's a cool job and pays good? Basically go push pills or devices to doctor's for big pharma. But I heard they prefer to hire hot chicks? Would definitely like to hear more about your experience in the medical sales, did you like it? Pay? Work life balance?

Maybe the top guys like the SC coaches of major programs (sec, big 10) make $$ but many don't. Do you have a degree in kinesiology?
Stills pays crap unless you’re the athletic director or have grad school for PT unfortunately. I worked for S&C in Big10. Lots of fun, doesn’t feel like work but it doesn’t pay the bills unless grad school

There are several ways to go about this.
If the goal is to train 10-18 year old athletes, hit the high schools and youth sports leagues. I have several old college football buddies who run “speed camps” and “OL/DL coaching” on the weekends. Youth and Hs sports is so intense now parents look for coaching and specific ability coaching year round. A guy I played HS football against became an NFL throwing coach for big names dudes.

The other way is the personal training and CsCS route. This opens your clientele up a bit more but it seems like a tougher way getting your foot in the door. Personally, I wish I would’ve done strength and conditioning work after I was done playing college football. But it’s just like football coaching, u grind long hours for years just to get a foot in the door as Assistsnt strength coach at Alabama A&M or something like that. Takes a long time. I’d go the youth route for sure. Find a niche.

Alot of my college friends did the medical sales (pharmacy drugs, equipment) with their kinesiology degree. Apparently it's a cool job and pays good? Basically go push pills or devices to doctor's for big pharma. But I heard they prefer to hire hot chicks? Would definitely like to hear more about your experience in the medical sales, did you like it? Pay? Work life balance?

It depends what you get into. I started that way but wanted to get more into management and work my way up the corporate chain I also enjoy gov't relations so spend time in DC on the Hill doing lobbying type stuff with medicare. I have a horrendous work life balance. I'm the GM of a large division of about 200 people across the country and my boss is our CEO so it's honestly pretty grueling. Public company, tons of pressure, tons of travel, etc.

I love it though and my goal is to be a CEO or COO (or a President/GM of a larger division) in the next 5 or so years.

You also don't have to work your way up that high to make good money. Lots of successful sales reps make big time cash. The hot ones that are dumb flame out pretty quick. We probably let go the bottom 10% or so every year. It's a cruel world.

I'm super self conscious so let me just also clearly say...I'm not s**t and have so much to learn it's humbling. I've been able to learn from many impressive leaders and have a long way to go. The above is just my path in the med device world.

Just a personal trainer. Sorry, I should have clarified. I just looking to train out of my garage. Nothing major.

So it's sounds like you are more talking strength and conditioning vs Athletic Trainer (ATC, as in sports med, injury stuff, etc.). My undergrad is in Athletic Training.

For your purposes you have a couple options...

1. Get nothing. Spread the word based on reputation alone and build up a clientele. I'd still recommend getting your CPR/AED certification. As an Athletic Trainer who has seen three players die on the field...best to be prepared (and from a liability standpoint it would be smart).

2. Go get your CSCS https://www.nsca.com/certification/cscs/cscs-exam-prerequisites/ . If you have a bach degree (in any major), you can take it. It's not super tough but you will need to memorize things as they see it (which may be different from what really works or what you believe). It can also be a bit challenging if you don't have an anatomy or physiology, etc. background. Memorize this book and you will be fine: https://www.nsca.com/store/product-detail/BOOK/2275/9781718210868 . You can build up your clientele and do this at the same time. Ultimately it would help you to get this and will separate you from #3 below:

3. Get some random personal training certification. A trained monkey could get this though and honestly it doesn't mean much to anyone. Probably better than nothing though.
I'd probably go the road of least resistance and do 1 & 3 since I'll be doing this part time. Just looking to bring in more kids. Thank you for your advice!

Check out Juggernaut Training Systems, that sounds exactly right up your Alley! Hands on, actual useful stuff, no useless fluff.

Worth every penny.

And check out their YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/CWSmith52

As for growing your client base - I would keep it word of mouth, with a small internet presence on Instagram etc. Get the parents of other kids interested, incentive your clients to bring in friends etc. Since you are based to your location, that's the best way to get local people involved and interested in you. Maybe show up at the sport events of your athletes, get known, get people interested in you by showing results.
I've been a fan of his for years. He really doers know his stuff! I'm thinking of getting business cards, tri-fold, or even a flier made to distribute in the area.

There are several ways to go about this.
If the goal is to train 10-18 year old athletes, hit the high schools and youth sports leagues. I have several old college football buddies who run “speed camps” and “OL/DL coaching” on the weekends. Youth and Hs sports is so intense now parents look for coaching and specific ability coaching year round. A guy I played HS football against became an NFL throwing coach for big names dudes.

The other way is the personal training and CsCS route. This opens your clientele up a bit more but it seems like a tougher way getting your foot in the door. Personally, I wish I would’ve done strength and conditioning work after I was done playing college football. But it’s just like football coaching, u grind long hours for years just to get a foot in the door as Assistsnt strength coach at Alabama A&M or something like that. Takes a long time. I’d go the youth route for sure. Find a niche.
I'm leaning towards the 1st option that you suggested. I'm going to get some business cards made and show up to some basketball games or track meets in the area. Talk to some parents and see where it goes.

For younger kids with athletic training you want to keep it safe, fun and a challenge.
I have trained quite a few younger ones and would normally do a full body routine which would normally consist of
a belt or Bulgarian split squat as it’s easily teachable
chins if they could do them or inverted rows
dips or push ups on med balls
some rope climbs
sled work /prowler
med ball throws and heavier slam ball work.
dumbell 1 arm cleans
most of the above would be decent results is easily scalable up or down and fairly safe.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131