advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any Electricians? 220 Volt line installation? Suicide mission?

triathloncoach

Featured Member / Kilo Klub / Board Supporter
Featured Member
Board Supporter
I have a commercial treadmill that runs on 220. I'm in a new house and want to hook it up. I paid an electrical last time to run a line.

The breaker box is in the basement and I want to put the treadmill next to the box. There are open slots in the breaker box for 220 breaker.

Is it reasonable to think I can do this myself, or will I turn myself into Memorial Day Barbeque? And I'm on this site so by definition I am a risk taker.

Any advice?

And anyone sincerely wishing me to become part of a beautiful ARC of electricity, feel free to chime in, but make sure it's funny. I like mean. I don't like stupid. ;)

Last edited:
I'm afraid of electricity myself but then again I'm no electrician either. If you have the knowledge to do it then I would go for it. If not you may be better off hiring someone.

I have a healthy respect for electric.

I would certainly want it done proper and hire an electrician.

Hire a pro please! Dont want to read about you in the paper!

Other than the safety aspect at least you know it will be done properly. I find too many people who fuck up their houses trying to save money by doing it themselves. Sure by all means if you know what are doing go for it but otherwise hire a licensed electritian.

I wouldn't land any breakers in a hot panel and I'm the son of a master electrician....

I wouldn't land any breakers in a hot panel and I'm the son of a master electrician....

I am the anti- do it your selfer. My wife laughs everytime I make any kind of feeble attempt.

But about 15 years ago I added a couple of 110 breakers to hook up a washer/dryer in an apartment and not only did it work great, but I didn't even consider the sizable downside.

Ignorance is bliss. And there are worse ways to go than electrocution. But Id feel bad for my wife and kids having to clean up what is left of my over muscled carcass.

Hmmm.

It's not that hard. If anything, just turn off the 200A main and then none of the lugs are "hot".

Find out the current draw of the treadmill and size your breaker and wire accordingly. For example, if the treadmill is rated for 16 amps at 220V, then install a 20amp breaker and at least 12Ga wire.

You can put in in a small piece of conduit straight off the side of your panel so you don't have to worry about making any bends, and connect it to a box with a 220V 20A receptacle. Pull your short run of wire in, connect, and done.

Get a deep enough box, and you won't even need an offset bend.

Electricity scares the shit out of me, but then again I am a bit of a sissy when it comes to things that can kill me in seconds. Good luck.

I am not an electrician. But I have done plenty of wiring including 220. Seriously, it is not that hard or complicated. At least at the residential house level and 110 or 220 v. I just put a whole new panel in a second house on our property. I ran 2 new 220 circuits for tools.

Just read a little. 220 is two 110's, that's all. Of course, turn off the main. Use the proper junction boxes and connectors. Make sure the connection to ground bar is clean and tight.

And remember, its not the volts, its the amps!

Id be very careful around a hot panel.. and id also be worried about insurance coverage should something go wrong with a DIY install..

Like what Bill said "its not the VOLTS that will kill you it's the AMPS" or it would just blow your arm off , but I would just hire a pro to do it!!!!:eek:

It's not that hard. If anything, just turn off the 200A main and then none of the lugs are "hot".

Find out the current draw of the treadmill and size your breaker and wire accordingly. For example, if the treadmill is rated for 16 amps at 220V, then install a 20amp breaker and at least 12Ga wire.

You can put in in a small piece of conduit straight off the side of your panel so you don't have to worry about making any bends, and connect it to a box with a 220V 20A receptacle. Pull your short run of wire in, connect, and done.

Get a deep enough box, and you won't even need an offset bend.

Its really not that difficult Tri, rmtt laid it out very well, if your overly concerned about being shocked call your local power company and have them Yank the meter right before you make your home run ( hooking up your two hot legs at your panel )

I work around 12.5 kv daily and at times 345 kv thats 345,000 volts, I don't handle it but work within very close proximity .

And I'm a proud member of I.B.E.W Local 51

Don't do it. I attempted some electrical work several years ago. Thought I had the right breaker off. Cut a wire that for some reason was on a diff breaker than the rest, blew a big hunk of metal out of the wire cutters I was using. It didn't get me, don't know how but that's the last time I messed with it. It's not worth it. I work in a hospital with a burn unit, these guys come in all the time from stealing copper wire with nasty burns and spend months in the hospital with multiple surgeries and infections. Just hire somebody.

Don't do it. I attempted some electrical work several years ago. Thought I had the right breaker off. Cut a wire that for some reason was on a diff breaker than the rest, blew a big hunk of metal out of the wire cutters I was using. It didn't get me, don't know how but that's the last time I messed with it. It's not worth it. I work in a hospital with a burn unit, these guys come in all the time from stealing copper wire with nasty burns and spend months in the hospital with multiple surgeries and infections. Just hire somebody.

With respect.
He is adding a breaker. He can't make that mistake.
Also, I am saying read up first. You can get a very inexpensive tester that lights up if the circuit is still live. Turn off the breaker than test the outlet or the wire. Its worth learning how to do some things is my only point, really. If you are smart enough to take your own health into your hands...

Use 14 4 romex wire, obviouslythe 220 outlet, and the breaker, most likely a 20 amp. Depending on where you live you may technically not be able to install it because it may not be code.

Also, wear leather gloves and no bare feet or sandles. Shoes with rubber soles.

I have a commercial treadmill that runs on 220. I'm in a new house and want to hook it up. I paid an electrical last time to run a line.

The breaker box is in the basement and I want to put the treadmill next to the box. There are open slots in the breaker box for 220 breaker.

Is it reasonable to think I can do this myself, or will I turn myself into Memorial Day Barbeque? And I'm on this site so by definition I am a risk taker.

Any advice?

And anyone sincerely wishing me to become part of a beautiful ARC of electricity, feel free to chime in, but make sure it's funny. I like mean. I don't like stupid. ;)

Just do it...don't forget to tape it so you can post the video here...:D :headbang:

seriously its easy, 220v is two hot wires (black) no white..

Use 14 4 romex wire, obviouslythe 220 outlet, and the breaker, most likely a 20 amp. Depending on where you live you may technically not be able to install it because it may not be code.

Bro...with respect that is totally against code. Technically 14 Ga wire is rated for 20 amps, but NEC code states that it should not be used with a Circuit Breaker larger than 15A unless in a motor control circuit which is a totally different application.

In what you have described...what happens if there is a fault? The wire is now exposed to the full 20 amps of draw which increases the risk of fire because of the heat generated over time. I always size wire one size up above my breaker rating. I would rather the breaker trip like it should than run the risk of the wire burning up and melting the insulation before the breaker even trips.

Also...220V single phase in the US is 2 hot conductors and a ground or "grounding conductor" if you want to be technical. Most 12/3 cables will contain a Black/White/Green wire. In this case, you put a little bit of colored tape around each connected end of the white wire to indicate that it is not being used as a Neutral wire for the next guy that comes along behind you.

I'm an Electrical Engineer by trade and specialize in Automation and Controls. But I worked in Power and Distribution my first few years out of school.

What's up coach. What you have to do is this. First of all find the chart on the Treadmill and look up the amperage required. On treadmills since they have motors you have to take into consideration the inrush current to start that sucker. The current's gonna peak when it starts up, then it will equalize.
You will probably need, 1 -3/4 inch diameter prefab offset bend, 4- 3/4 inch lock nuts, 2- 3/4 inch bushings, 1- 1900 deep quad box 3/4 inch holes, 1- 220 v depending on the amperage receptacle most likely 20 amp, 1- cover for the 1900 quad to accommodate the receptacle, some screws to mount the box and some wire. Most likely thhn two blacks and a ground. What ever length you need. A two pole breaker to fit your panel most likely 20 amp. So well call it a 2 pole 20. Make sure you look at the panel to make sure you buy the right breaker. It sucks when you assume and have to go back to buy the right stuff cause u didn't look. That's most likely the material you'll need. Unless you want to run Romex. Then instead of the offset, nuts, bushings, and thhn, you can get some romex, 12/2 whatever length you need and 2 romex connectors this way is much easier. I personally like the first no exposed wires.
I don't want to write a two page post, so whatever the case may be feel free to pm me ill help you out the best of my ability. I can walk you through the wiring process. Also help you with sizing the wire. Good luck pal

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonyfits