alfresco

Featured Member / Kilo Klub Member
Staff member
Super Moderators
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
Pros and cons of a continuous glucose monitor (CGM)?

Seems like using one is the biggest no brainer in the history of mankind for anybody using insulin.

Anybody here use one?

Just crazy you need a doctors script to have one (but when has that stopped anyone here from doing anything 😉) now but from what I am hearing that may soon be changing.

I would definitely buy one if you didn’t need a script. Honestly at this point I’m just trying to find a OTC monitor that actually works…

I disagree that it's a no-brainer for those using insulin.

I wouldn't even recommend it for someone new to insulin. It's better to learn the signals your body gives when blood is low or high.

I think constantly tracking blood sugar is a bad idea because it leads guys to constantly chasing low numbers. Some top coaches like Matt Jansen also believe in this. My experience is it's harder to grow when blood sugar is always getting low, like 70-90 range, between meals.

I got my hands on one, only worked for a week though. With its help I was able to push way more pre workout insulin though, I agree it's a no brainer. I would much rather have some idea what it ACTUALLY is, than try and rely on feel that can be completely wrong.

I think it's a good idea if was easier to get.

I disagree that it's a no-brainer for those using insulin.

I wouldn't even recommend it for someone new to insulin. It's better to learn the signals your body gives when blood is low or high.

I think constantly tracking blood sugar is a bad idea because it leads guys to constantly chasing low numbers. Some top coaches like Matt Jansen also believe in this. My experience is it's harder to grow when blood sugar is always getting low, like 70-90 range, between meals.
I'm no expert but this is my view. I have used a little slin pre and post and always take a generous amount of carbs to not worry, plus rolls of smarties on hand if needed. Say I take 5iu pre, 75 g carbs pre workout, and slowly up those dose 6iu etc.

Just pull the carbs from other meals if needed to keep daily calories the same.

I have a Levels subscription. Very useful to see real time data as it relates to what you put in your mouth, or what external factors you are dealing with like sleep and stress. However, my diet and routines are typically the same so after 1 month you generally know the trends and what to avoid so it isn’t as useful long term.

I was thinking about investing in one of these also ..
I do not like that you have to have a subscription for them.. :(
if anyone know of anything you can use with out a subscription please share
thanks

I've been using one for a little over a year and I've found it pretty useful. I do think it is probably counter productive to try to use it in combination with insulin trying to somehow optimize your glucose levels. However, if you just use it to watch for trends like fasting blood sugar / post meal blood sugar creeping up over the weeks/months on a bulk or when using GH, it can be useful to see that you might need to do a mini cut or work on insulin sensitivity.

I started out going through one of the subscription programs (Nutrisense) but then just asked my doctor if he could write me a prescription which he was willing to do. Insurance doesn't cover it since I'm not diabetic but I can get a pack of 2 Libre 2 CGM's from Costco for around $70 which is way better than the ~$200 the online subscription services charge.

I was doing some research today, seems like the upgraded 3 libra is the best one for the price

will they not sell to you with out prescription ?

I was doing some research today, seems like the upgraded 3 libra is the best one for the price

will they not sell to you with out prescription ?
Without a prescription is coming.

A veterinarian can write one too.

Without a prescription is coming.

A veterinarian can write one too.
I remember us briefly discussing this. I thought you were going the way of CBGM. I just use lancets and strips (my doc Rx'd one me without a second thought). But I only needed it for a few weeks, maybe 2 months, as then I new which way my BG would go (mg/mL per unit, etc) along with carb intake. So I'm all for it. Primarily to know how your body reacts, clearance, sensitivity, etc.

I remember us briefly discussing this. I thought you were going the way of CBGM. I just use lancets and strips (my doc Rx'd one me without a second thought). But I only needed it for a few weeks, maybe 2 months, as then I new which way my BG would go (mg/mL per unit, etc) along with carb intake. So I'm all for it. Primarily to know how your body reacts, clearance, sensitivity, etc.
Yea, I mentioned this to you.

I have a few and my wife and I are going to try one, just out of curiosity, much the same as you.

CGM’s I predict will be in every serious bodybuilder’s tool kit down the road especially those using insulin which seems to be pretty much everyone now a days.

CGM’s are now OTC 👏

No more excuses 😉

I was thinking about investing in one of these also ..
I do not like that you have to have a subscription for them.. :(
if anyone know of anything you can use with out a subscription please share
thanks
I don’t know about a subscription, but I had to have a prescription for mine.

Hey cure ,
They actually just announced these will be available to anyone this summer.
No prescription needed
Dex7 will have one available this summer.

I have my Dexcom through Levels with no prescription. Only scam is you need to pay $200 a year for the Levels app which is useless.

This is good news,,,Thank you for the info!
~30$ from the reports I read. Then download the app. and you are gtg. Lasts about 2 weeks.

My wife wore one for about a month. It is very informative. (Her sisters cat is diabetic and she got hers from her sisters vet.)

App has very basic info included but the website has more.

Hey cure ,
They actually just announced these will be available to anyone this summer.
No prescription needed
Dex7 will have one available this summer.
Might have to upgrade my Dexcom g6 then!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity