over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

gravyjay progress log / journal

gravyjay

Newbies
I began posting weekly progress pictures in the "pic you took today" thread on the main board three weeks ago with the most recent one being here : https://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/index.php?threads/pic-you-took-today.109228/post-3250321.

I'm starting this log to track my progress towards trying to gain at least 20-25 lbs of actual lean tissue over the next several years. My current goal is to enter my first competition in around a year and a half to 2 years from now in the classic physique division and I would like to be near the top of the weight limit for my height (245 lbs at 6'4") in show condition. A big part of the reason I am waiting to compete is I have young children (5 month old daughter, 4 year old son) and would like them to be a bit older before I go through a full contest prep.

I will continue posting at least weekly picture check ins here as well as journaling about my current nutrition, training, and cycle.

abs_thighs.JPEG side_tri.JPEG

A bit of training / cycle history :

Background
I've been training and eating consistently for about 10 years now with maybe 4-5 years of PED usage in there and a few long breaks from PED's. When I first started, I just wanted to be bigger. I was an extremely skinny kid and graduated high school at 6'4" 135 lbs. Through most of my early to mid 20's I hovered in the 150's and would have small starts at trying to get serious about training and eating but was very inconsistent.

I eventually started training consistently and learning how to eat properly about 10 years ago but my main goals at the time were to just be bigger and stronger so I kind of gravitated towards power building routines with lots of squatting and deadlifting and got decently strong for my weight but not that impressive looking. A few years into this I started experimenting with PED's and started off with the typical 500 mg Test cycle for 12 weeks. I definitely put on a good amount of muscle in this phase and just kind of started experimenting with other compounds and slowly training and eating more like a bodybuilder rather than a powerlifter. During this phase I also had 2 children, both of which I had to come completely off PED's for as my sperm count was basically nothing even on just Testosterone. For my son, I was off everything for probably just over a year but we had other issues trying to conceive my daughter and I ended up off everything for close to 3 years. I did continue training and eating decently while I was off so I didn't lose everything.

PED Usage
Once we were done having children, I was able to go back on and I currently blast and cruise and have been doing so since early 2022. Over time, I've found the compounds that seem to work best for me with the least sides. For bulking that is typically Test/NPP or Deca/Primo and cutting Test/Tren/Mast. I don't experience a ton of side effects from any of these with Tren probably being the harshest obviously but I usually run it for short periods of time and at this point have just ran it between 210 and 350 mg / week. In general, my total compound usage on a cycle at this point has been around 1g to 1.5g total. I will probably plan to go higher on this bulk but will stick to Test/NPP/Primo for my bulking and if I'm feeling pretty good but progress is stalling I might throw in short runs of Anadrol but in general I usually avoid orals as they can mess up my appetite. I've also been using moderate doses of generic GH (4-8 IU) from probably one of the most well known sponsors here.

Training
For training over the last couple years, I've been running some of John Meadows programs and then kind of modifying some of his principles to suit my own needs. I'm currently running a modified PPL where I train 5 days a week. It looks something like this:

Monday : Pull or Push (alternating ea week)
Tuesday: Legs
Wed: Off
Thursday: Pull
Friday: Push
Saturday: Legs
Sunday: Off

I'm running it this way because it's what fits my schedule the best and I'm trying to emphasize leg growth so I'm ensuring I get 2 leg days in a week.

Nutrition
I use my fitness pal and log everything I eat. I've done it a number of different ways in the past. Sometimes I would just eat the same meal 6 times a day but now my diet is pretty similar day to day but has a fair amount of variety from meal to meal. On my last bulk I incorporated some carb cycling and would have high carb days topping out at about 800 carbs and lower days around 300-400 carbs. Protein was usually around 300g/day and fat would make up the remainder of the calories. When I stopped bulking at around 250 lbs I was eating around 5500 calories a day and not really gaining anymore weight.

Here is a sample of what I ate yesterday. This was the highest total calorie day of the last week because it was a leg day.

8:00 AM Morning Smoothie (306 cal, 42g carbs, 5g fat, 30g protein)
  • Greens Powder
  • Various Fruit
  • Frozen Spinach/Kale
  • 1 scoop whey isolate
10:00 AM Breakfast (592 cal, 30g carbs, 17.1g fat, 73.5g protein)
  • Ezekiel 4:9 Tortilla
  • 2 Pasture Raised Eggs
  • 16 tbsp Egg Whites
  • Flame Grilled Fajita Veggies
  • 120g Ground Turkey Breast
12:00 PM Lunch (554 cal, 75g carbs, 1g fat, 50g protein)
  • 250g Wild Pacific Cod
  • 140g Wildbrine Kimchi
  • 350g Sweet Potato
2:30 PM Lunch 2 (763 cal, 82g carbs, 17g fat, 72g protein)
  • Canned Salmon Salad (170g canned wild alaskan pink salmon, diced onions and celery, 30g nonfat greek yogurt, dijon mustard)
  • 400g Yellow Potatoes (Salmon salad used as topping for potato)
  • 120g Frozen Atlantic Pink Salmon (cooked sous vide)
  • 120g Flame grilled vegetables
5:00 PM Dinner (599 cal, 90g carbs, 1g fat, 51g protein)
  • 250g Wild Pacific Cod
  • 100g Aged Basmati Rice (dry weight)
  • 6 tsp Organic Coco Aminos
7:30 PM Pre-Workout Snack (634 cal, 76g carbs, 10g fat, 60g protein)
  • 200g Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
  • 120g Low Fat Kefir
  • 1 scoop vanilla hydro whey
  • 80 wild frozen blueberries
  • 40 grams sprouted rolled oats
  • 30g Ancient Grans Granola
9:00-11:00 PM Intra Workout Drink (240 cal, 43g carbs)
  • 20g Karbolyn
  • 1 scoop Granite Supplements Recovery (EAA/HBCD)
  • 11 ounce Organic coconut water
11:00 PM Post Workout Shake (473 cal, 60g carbs, 1.5g fat, 51g protein)
  • 30g Hydro Whey
  • 30g Micellar Casein
  • 60g Rice cereal

Totals - 4161 cal, 506g carbs, 54g fat, 389g protein

Wednesday 7/5/2023

Wednesday was an off day but both of my off days come after leg days which I'm trying to emphasize so I kept calories high (comparatively to other days). I usually eat lower calories on off days but I am thinking about switching that up for a while and making them my highest day. The reason being is it's easier to get more food in when I don't have to train and especially when I don't have to train in an extremely full state since I train at night. This isn't a factor right now but I expect it to be as my weight gets back up there and appetite calms down a bit.

Food Log
1688743449614.png

Thursday 7/6/2023

Thursday was a pull day and I'm not running a specific program but running my own modified PPL split from my previous post. One pull day is more pump based and this one is more strength/progression based. I have upped my calories to ~4700 a day and appetite is still very high. I plan to stay here over the next week or so and re assess next Wednesday if I need to go up again. Fasted morning weight today was 223.4 up from 220 on Wednesday 7/5.

Training Log

1st Set 10, 2nd Set Add weight x 8, third set backoff
Smith Machine Row (Primary movement, focused on progression)
2x12 and 1 backoff Medium Width Neutral Grip Pull-down (Primary movement, focused on progression)
3x6 Rack Pull (Primary movement, focused on progression)
3x10 T Bar Row (Pronated grip, upper back focus)
2x10 Machine Pullover
3x12 Incline Hammer Curl
3x8 Drag Curl
3x12 Concentration Preacher Curl
6x15Hammer Strength Standing Calf Raise:
6xFailure Tibia Raise (Superset with calf raises)
3xFailure Decline Crunch

Food Log

1688744216750.png

thurs76.JPEG

Subscibed!

Friday 7/7/2023

Friday was a push day and kept calories at a similar level to Thursday. My appetite is still crazy high and the food is easy to get down. My energy levels are pretty good despite the one aspect of all this I don't nail down which is sleep. Having a 5 month old with back to back ear infections limits your sleep and the fact that I have to train late at night, I only average 4-5 hours of sleep a night right now.

Fasted Weight: 223.4

Training Log

1. Slight Decline Dumbbell Bench Press (Current primary progression movement)
    1. Worked up to top set of 8 then did a backoff set at 75%
  2. Incline Bench Press (Smith Machine) (Secondary progression movement)
    1. Worked up to top set of 6 then did a backoff set at 75%
  3. Hex Press (Dumbbell Bench Press with dumbbells smashed against each other)
    1. 2x10 then cluster set (3 sets with 20 second breaks)
  4. Machine Fly
    1. 3x8 (Hold stretch on last rep)
  5. Bent Over Lateral Raise
    1. 3x25
  6. Hammer Strength Iso Lateral Shoulder Press
    1. 3x12 then cluster set
  7. Y Raise
    1. 3x12
  8. Dual Rope Tricep Kickback
    1. 3x10
  9. Kettlebell Lying Extensions
    1. 3x8
  10. Seated Overhead Rope Extensions
    1. 3x12
Food Log

1688953227555.png
Saturday 7/8/2023

Saturday was pretty similar to Friday except it was leg day and I felt like I had a great leg session. The pump and vascularity I had while training was crazy. I started at a new gym a few weeks ago that has some machines I didn't have access to before like a Hammer Strength belt squat, a pendulum squat, v-squat, power squat, and a few others. I've started using the belt squat and pendulum squat regularly and the pump I get from the pendulum squat is better than any machine I've tried before. I did eat an extra 100 calories since it was leg day and my appetite just isn't letting up at all but I don't want to increase too fast at this point.

Fasted Weight: 223.2

Training Log

1. Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Kneeling Leg Curl
    1. 3x15 with 60 second breaks
  2. Hammer Strength Leg Press (High and Wide - Glute Ham Focus)
    1. 4x12
  3. Pendulum Squat
    1. 3x12
  4. Glute Ham Raises
    1. 4xFailure
  5. Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Leg Extension
    1. 7xFailure with 45 second breaks where failure on first set was around 12 reps
  6. Calf Raises on Leg Press
    1. 4x10 then 15 partials then 10 second hold in stretch position after each set
  7. Tibia Raises (Superset with Calves)
Food Log

1688953890758.png
Sunday 7/9/2023

Today was another off day but calories stayed at the same level they've been at since Thursday. Energy levels and appetite still really high.

Fasted Weight: 224.3

Food Log

1688954062827.png

Following as a fellow tall guy. Nice log so far. Diet has some interesting things in there 👍.

How did u get the username?

What's the ped usage right now?

Also curious what supplements, pre-workout etc u use.

I don't feel like the picture does justice to the pump/vascularity I was getting on the pendulum squat but tried to take one for the log.

View attachment 179214

Oh it does! We are just used to “juiced” up (manipulated) images. You got it.

Am excited about following your journey. I think this accountability and attention to detail (so important!) not to mention some talented eyes we have here on you, will bear some sweet fruit.

You have a big long frame and (most) of your muscle bellies (bicep’s, crazy long for instance) I think will serve you well.

You are fortunate to have some great people here following you and providing some direction and guidance.

So let’s see where this takes you.

Following as a fellow tall guy. Nice log so far. Diet has some interesting things in there 👍.

How did u get the username?

What's the ped usage right now?

Also curious what supplements, pre-workout etc u use.

Username is just a combination of a nickname and the mascot where I went for my Bachelor’s 😛.

PED’s right now are Test/NPP/Primo with GH post workout which is also before bed. I also usually take some insulin post workout. I don’t currently take insulin pre workout because it’s too likely to make me go hypo and pretty much guaranteed to go hypo training legs if i take even a small dose of insulin.

For pre workout I’ve been using Kaged Elite. Only other bodybuilding supplements I take are Creatine, Glutamine, Taurine, EAA’s and Intra carbs.

Health Supps

Ive kind of minimized these lately
  • Astragalus
  • Citrus Bergamot
  • Nattokinase
Ancillary meds
  • Telmisartan
  • T4
  • Aromasin when needed, I don’t need much when taking Primo

Oh it does! We are just used to “juiced” up (manipulated) images. You got it.

Am excited about following your journey. I think this accountability and attention to detail (so important!) not to mention some talented eyes we have here on you, will bear some sweet fruit.

You have a big long frame and (most) of your muscle bellies (bicep’s, crazy long for instance) I think will serve you well.

You are fortunate to have some great people here following you and providing some direction and guidance.

So let’s see where this takes you.

Thanks for the kind words! I do feel like I’m starting this log from a really good point and hope things keep going the way they are now, although I’m sure I’ll hit some roadblocks at some point.

I’ve been reading this board for a very long time and have gained a ton of knowledge from the members already. It really is a great board and hopefully i can start posting a little more and giving back to a place I’ve gotten a lot from.

Looking awesome man, definitely following. You have a great base for starting a productive growth phase!

Monday 7/10/2023

This was probably the best I've felt in the gym so far since starting to rebound out of my cut. I still had good pumps while cutting but today was another level. I also didn't lose a lot of strength cutting at least not on my first working sets of my main movements but I did lose a lot of reps or had to decrease the weight quite a bit as I moved through the later phases of my workouts. That wasn't the case today and by the time I got to my later sets or pump exercises I was easily getting an extra 5 to 10 reps with the same weights I'd been using a week ago at that part of my workout.

This workout was more of a volume/pump based workout where for a while I was just rotating either a Pull or Push day since I do a modified PPL in 5 days but always train legs twice a week. This week I just made it a full upper workout but kept rest times short and mostly used machines.

Fasted Weight: 225.3

Training Log

1. Iso Lateral Lat Pull-down (handles freely move, started neutral grip and finished suppinated)
    1. 4x10
  2. Hammer Strength Horizontal Iso Lateral Bench Press
    1. 4x12
  3. Hammer Strength DY Row (New machine for me and really enjoyed it, seems good for lower lats)
    1. 4x10
  4. Slight Incline Smith Bench Press (Partial Rom - Top portion of the lift and brought bar close to chin, trying to put emphasis on upper chest)
    1. 4x8
  5. Back Extension
    1. 2xBodyweight to failure
  6. Chest Dip (Superset with Back Extension)
    1. 2xBodyweight to failure
  7. Dumbbell Lateral Raise
    1. 2x20
  8. Seated Dumbbell Overhead Press (Superset with lateral raises)
    1. 2x6
  9. EZ Bar Preacher Curl
    1. 4x8 with 6 top partials after each set
  10. Dual Handle Triceps Pushdowns
    1. 4x12
  11. EZ Bar Reverse Curl
    1. 2x20 with 10 partials from the bottom each set
  12. Seated Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extension
    1. 3x12
  13. Rope Cable Crunch
    1. 4xFailure
Food Log

I'm still keeping calories in this 4800-5000 range but I'm mostly likely going to make another increase tomorrow or Thursday because I'm still pretty much hungry after every meal despite my weight coming up another 5 lbs this week which I suspect is still mostly just glycogen/water.

1689078961066.png

Tuesday 7/11/2023

Tuesday was leg day with quad emphasis although I start almost every leg session on a leg curl machine. Everything still feeling great but still pretty hungry despite weight really starting to jump back up. I took progress pictures today and don't think it looks like much of the weight is fat at this point, just glycogen/water. Upper body actually looks leaner, legs may be a losing a little detail but are bigger/fuller.

Fasted Weight: 228.1

Training Log
  1. Seated Leg Curl
    1. 4x10, 5 partials from stretched position on last two sets
  2. Hammer Strength Belt Squat
    1. 3 work sets working up to a top set of 8
  3. Pendulum Squat
    1. 4x10
  4. Smith Split Squats
    1. 3x8
  5. Banded Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    1. 3x10
  6. Calf Raises on V-Squat Machine
    1. 6x12
  7. Tibia Raises
    1. 6xFailure (Superset with calf raises)
Food Log

Calories this whole week have been around ~4900/day although I did go up to 5175 on leg day. I'm still debating with myself whether I should have a significate increase this week as my appetite is still really high but my weight is moving up pretty fast.

1689172045778.png

abs.JPEG abs_thighs.JPEG back_bi.JPEG back_lat.JPEG front_bi.JPEG front_lat.JPEG front_relaxed.JPEG side_chest.JPEG side_tri.JPEG

Tuesday 7/11/2023

Tuesday was leg day with quad emphasis although I start almost every leg session on a leg curl machine. Everything still feeling great but still pretty hungry despite weight really starting to jump back up. I took progress pictures today and don't think it looks like much of the weight is fat at this point, just glycogen/water. Upper body actually looks leaner, legs may be a losing a little detail but are bigger/fuller.

Fasted Weight: 228.1

Training Log
  1. Seated Leg Curl
    1. 4x10, 5 partials from stretched position on last two sets
  2. Hammer Strength Belt Squat
    1. 3 work sets working up to a top set of 8
  3. Pendulum Squat
    1. 4x10
  4. Smith Split Squats
    1. 3x8
  5. Banded Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    1. 3x10
  6. Calf Raises on V-Squat Machine
    1. 6x12
  7. Tibia Raises
    1. 6xFailure (Superset with calf raises)
Food Log

Calories this whole week have been around ~4900/day although I did go up to 5175 on leg day. I'm still debating with myself whether I should have a significate increase this week as my appetite is still really high but my weight is moving up pretty fast.

View attachment 179329

View attachment 179330View attachment 179331View attachment 179332View attachment 179333View attachment 179334View attachment 179335View attachment 179336View attachment 179337View attachment 179338
Curious what brand pendulum you use? I just added the Arsenal one into my rotation and it’s humbling

Curious what brand pendulum you use? I just added the Arsenal one into my rotation and it’s humbling

I don't know if it even has a brand on it but a lot of the equipment in this new gym is from a brand called "Call-Sign" which I hadn't heard of and doesn't seem to have much of an online presence. They seem to be trying to copy some Prime/Arsenal machines probably at a cheaper cost. However, the machine does feel good and yeah it's humbling even compared to the Cybex hack squat. I'm not loading much on it yet but definitely feel it.

Very detailed log, get more gym pics, you look great 👍🏿

Catching up on my daily log as I haven't been able to post in a few days. There was a strong line of thunderstorms that went through my area on Friday and knocked the power out Friday afternoon and we were without power until late last night. Due to the heat, we had to spend a couple nights in a hotel because you can't have a 6 month old trying to sleep with no AC when it's 95 degrees out. I still managed to eat my normal meals and get my normal training sessions in although there was a whole lot more stress around it.

My weight is still moving up pretty quickly and I was back up to 231.1 lbs today. Calories have been around ~5200 / day and appetite is still very high but might not be quite as intense as it was the previous couple weeks. Training is feeling great with really good pumps and reps / weight are progressing week to week.

Wed 7/12/2023 (Off day)

Fasted Weight: 228.1 lbs

Food Log
1689617552400.png

Thurs 7/13/2023 (Pull day)

Fasted Weight:
226.8 lbs

Training Log
  1. Smith Machine Row
    1. 1st set 10
    2. 2nd set 8 with more weight (increased from last week)
    3. 3rd set back off (75%) AMRAP
  2. Medium Width Neutral Grip Pull-down
    1. 4x12
  3. Hammer Strength DY Row (Superset with Pullover)
    1. 3x12
  4. Hammer Strength Machine Pullover (2nd in superset after DY Row)
    1. 4x10
  5. Machine Preacher Curl
    1. 3x10
  6. Seated Hammer Curls
    1. 3x10
    2. I do these facing the opposite direction on a lat pulldown bracing my elbows against the leg pads.
  7. EZ Bar Reverse Curl
    1. 3x10
    2. 5 bottom partials after each set
  8. Calf Press on Leg Press
    1. 4x8
  9. Tibia Raise (Superset with Calf Press)
    1. 4xFailure
  10. Banded Back Extension
    1. 4x10
  11. Decline Crunch
    1. 4xFailure

Food Log
1689617586177.png

Fri 7/14/2023 (Push day)

Fasted Weight:
229.4 lbs

Training Log
  1. Slight Decline Bench Press
    1. Work up to top set of 8 reps (increased weight from last push day)
    2. Backoff set at 75% AMRAP
  2. Smith Incline Bench Press
    1. Work up to top set of 6 reps (increased from last push day)
    2. Backoff set at 75% AMRAp
  3. Chest Dip
    1. 3xFailure
  4. Plate loaded machine fly
    1. 3x8
  5. Landmine Should Press
    1. 3x8
  6. Bent over Lateral Raise
    1. 3x20 (Superset with lateral raise)
  7. Dumbbell lateral raise
    1. 3x10 (2nd in superset after bent over lateral raise)
  8. Tricep Pushdowns with D Handles (Superset with next 2 tri movements)
    1. 3x12
  9. Dumbbell Lying Extensions (Superset)
    1. 3x12
  10. Bent over tricep extensions with D Handles (Superset)
    1. 3x8

Food Log
1689617626129.png

Sat 7/15/2023 (Leg day)

Fasted Weight:
230.2 lbs

Training Log

1. Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Kneeling Leg Curl
    1. 3x15
    2. 60 second rest periods
  2. Hammer Strength Leg Press (High and Wide - Ham/Glute focus)
    1. 4x12
    2. I ended up using the same weight for all 4 with 12 reps on the first three but went all out for 16 on the final set.
  3. Pendulum Squat
    1. 3x12
  4. Glute Ham Raise
    1. 4xFailure
  5. Hack Squat
    1. 2x8
    2. Cluster set after second set (3 added sets after 30 seconds rest to failure)
  6. Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Leg Extension
    1. 7 sets to failure with the same weight with 45 second rest periods.
    2. Got 12 reps the first set then 6-7 for the rest
  7. Hammer Strength Standing Calf Raise
    1. 6x10
  8. Tibia Raise (Superset with calf raise)

Food Log
1689617661237.png

Sun 7/16/2023 (Off day)

Fasted Weight:
228.2 lbs

Food Log
1689617699196.png

Fasted Weight Today:
231.1 lbs

Attachments

• 1689618226182.png
    1689618226182.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 1
Mon 7/17/2023

With power restored Sunday, I was back on my normal routine Monday. This is the day I have been kind of playing with and I rotate it between either a pull or push day or combine them and just make it an upper day but not super heavy and more of a pump based workout. I did the upper pump style workout again today and had a long high volume session. My appetite is still pretty high and weight still going up quickly from the bottom of my cut. I'm excited to get to the gym tonight for another leg day.

Fasted Weight: 231.1 lbs

Training Log

1. Iso Lateral Lat Pulldown Machine (Neutral grip - slight rotation toward suppinated at bottom - handles freely move)
    1. 4x12
  2. Hammer Strength Horizonal Bench Press
    1. 4x12
  3. Plate Loaded Chest Supported Row (This machine is similar to a Prime Plate Loaded Extreme Row)
    1. 3x12
  4. Slight Incline Smith Bench Press (I'm doing these trying to focus on upper chest with a shortened ROM)
    1. 2x12
    2. Cluster set after second set (3 more sets with 30 second breaks AMRAP)
  5. Machine Chest Fly
    1. 3x12
  6. Machine Reverse Fly
    1. 3x20
  7. Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press
    1. 2x15
  8. Tricep Pushdowns with D-Handles
    1. 3x12
  9. Pinwheel Curls
    1. 3x15
  10. Kettlebell Tate Press
    1. 3x8