advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone ever take extended time off due to injury?

iflexit_1

Registered
Hey guys,
Wondering if anybody had to take off gym time due to an injury? I had surgery on my left shoulder Oct 1st (totally detached r. cuff, a chronic impingement, arthritis in the cup). It's only been 12 weeks, but the depression is almost unbearable. In 34 years of lifting, I've never taken off this long. Surgeon said it could take up to a year for complete healing!!! Any suggestions on how to snap out of this funk?

Had to take several months off due to herniated cervical discs and subsequent surgery. Yes, I got depressed too. My MD upped my anti-depressant dose for a short time to compensate for the lack of exercise. If you are so inclined, maybe some therapy to help sort things out and keep things in perspective.
You have the hard part over, the road back is not so long. Glad you are recovering. 50 years ago you would have been much worse off...

Hey guys,
Wondering if anybody had to take off gym time due to an injury? I had surgery on my left shoulder Oct 1st (totally detached r. cuff, a chronic impingement, arthritis in the cup). It's only been 12 weeks, but the depression is almost unbearable. In 34 years of lifting, I've never taken off this long. Surgeon said it could take up to a year for complete healing!!! Any suggestions on how to snap out of this funk?

Ive had to take off here and there over the years. If the surgeon says a year,,,better listen.

I know how you feel. My shoulder's tore up and I can't even bench, let alone do shoulders. It's been like 2 months and my mood is all screwed up. Hang in there. Downtime won't last forever.

Had to take several months off due to herniated cervical discs and subsequent surgery. Yes, I got depressed too. My MD upped my anti-depressant dose for a short time to compensate for the lack of exercise. If you are so inclined, maybe some therapy to help sort things out and keep things in perspective.
You have the hard part over, the road back is not so long. Glad you are recovering. 50 years ago you would have been much worse off...

What did you have done. I just had cervical disc replacement on my c-5 and -c-6 on 12-03-08.

I had an artificial disc implanted at C6/7. The appliance is called Prestige Disc. I was cleared to go back to work in 3 days, but elected to take a full week off. Started lifting again after 12 weeks and didn't do any overhead lifts for another 12 weeks. I had nerve damage but I'm still working on overcoming the deficit in strength and size in my right arm.
Which procedure did you have?

I had to take a good amount of time off when I tore my tricep. But I was back in the gym within a week doing legs. I'd say within about 2 months I was training using movements that in no way involved my tri. Its been 18 months and it still flares up once and a while.

No way on a full year to recover 100%. I had a complete tear of my right supraspinatus and surgery in July 2007. After 12 weeks, I was able to start lifting again. My surgeon was pretty cool and gave me a good explaination of recovery. He said after 8-10 weeks, the tendon was healed back to the bone but it wasn't mature yet. So think of it as maybe if you bench 400#, your tendon is only at a 150# bench right now. Keep doing the rehab and stretching.

Thanx Guys!!!!

Well, glad to see I'm not alone. Sounds like many of us have our crosses to bear!!! Thanks Iceman. I have pt twice a week, with plenty of streching in between. I'm hoping that I will be doing upper body work before a year!!! I do leg work and ride the bike for now.

I had to take a year off for a pec injury. Still not %100... but I couldn't bench for about a year. So, I concentrated on my dead and squat and brought those up a lot. If you can still do leg work, do it and make up for not being able to press. Take this as time to build some massively awesome legs.

I took almost a year off from training. But for me it was a free choice.
I wanted to do other things, travel the world, etc.

So my suggestion would be to find something else to do with your time. Many get so into training they forget about all the other things you can do in life.

Just keep eating plenty of food and hopefully you won't lose too much. I was abroad working so I couldn't eat like I wanted to so I lost a lot of mass, but now 3 months after starting to work out again my arms are back to where they were, but my weight is still about 20lbs lighter.

I'm just as strong as I was except legs though, I lost a lot on my legs. But that's life.. be glad you're not in a wheel chair or something even worse. Be glad for your health.

I was out with head to toe poison oak for about 2 months. My hands swelled so bad, I could not pick up a pencil, let alone a barbell. On top of that, I was coming off a test/tren summer cycle and lost everything.

I had an artificial disc implanted at C6/7. The appliance is called Prestige Disc. I was cleared to go back to work in 3 days, but elected to take a full week off. Started lifting again after 12 weeks and didn't do any overhead lifts for another 12 weeks. I had nerve damage but I'm still working on overcoming the deficit in strength and size in my right arm.
Which procedure did you have?

I had the same thing on my C5/C6. I was cleared after a few weeks. However I also have a shoulder problem on my right side. I go for a consult on the 2nd of January. I have been back to the gym and start P.T. this week. I to have nerve damage in my right arm and hand. I have been out of the gym for a while about 15 weeks. And off my help for about the same.

march 10th i had shoulder surgery. and it sucked. they reattached the labrum, reattached the bicep tendon, resurfaced the a/c joint.
im back in the gym now for 10 weeks. my size and strength come back alot faster than i thought they would. BUT-- I keep the weight low and reps at 20 and only lift every other day. i feel great. My doc said" connective tissue has no direct blood flow" so they take much longer to heal than bone and muscle tissue. i will never do the weight i used to. just not a need for it. actually this was an eye opener for me and when i look back, it helped me make some much needed life changes!! here' a pic--have more if ya like!

Attachments

• SS%20bankart%207.jpg
    SS%20bankart%207.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 182
I'm coming off a 2 year layoff from shoulder problems. Worst time of my life, I went into a deep depression, got hooked on xanies again, drank every day, and ate like shit. I had 3 surgeries, I think the last one finally fixed me. I've been back in the gym for 2 months now lifting light weights and nothing overhead. The important thing is that I feel 100x's better now that I'm working out, eating right and staying clean; it all goes together for me. I wish I could help you, the only advice I could give you is DON'T STOP working out. Even if it's just riding the bike or walking, keep your routine of exercise and healthy eating for the sake of your mental health, that and maybe read as many books as you can.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131