advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are gyms and fitness going to be a affordable in the near future?

Maverick

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have pondered this question and perhaps its a dumb question but with the rising energy costs ( ie: Gas, electricity, heat, etc), do you think that most people who do not make 6 figure incomes or live average are not going to be able to afford gym memberships or anything related to fitness peroid?

Let me further clarify:

We all know that within the last 2 year gas prices have risen exponentially to the point where most people cannot drive the way they used to. People who used to drive SUV's are now trading in for kia's and subarus becuase the get better gas mileage. Gas prices for the moment seem to have gone down but they will not stay that way for long. We will be looking at 3-4-5.00 a gallon within 1 and 1/2 - 2 years in the future. Combine that with how much it costs to eat. Have you noticed recently how much higher your grocery bill is. What used to cost me 30.00 now costs me around 55-60.00. Almost double. Now I dont make 1,000,000 a year like some people do so I have to watch my pennies but with the rising cost of living and most people pay not rising along with the cost increase do you think people in the near future will have enough money to pay for gym memberships every month or the cost of food it takes to maintain our lifestyle and appearance. Not to mention the cost of extra gas to go back and forth to the gym?

This is just a little observation I have made. I am saying this because I am looking to open a gym in the town I live in and I have often wondered if I am embarking on a gamble that will ultimatley fail, not becuase I wont be trying hard, or lack of know how but simply people wont be able to afford it because they cost of the gym membership will be better suited bying that extra fill up or that extar bit of food or maybe the electric bill.

Do you think this will hurt the gym business and fitness industry in the future?

Mav

i dunno about you, but i'm blaming BUSH!!

JUST KIDDING... HOLY CRAP DONT KILL ME

hmmm.... i dunno... i think we'll still be ok ... for now

IMO memberships will be about the same or a little lower or a little higher, nothing much will change. I think this b/c health/fitness is becoming a HUGE concern in the USA. THis means more gyms will open up trying to make $$. That means more competition. More competition = more crap for your $$$ and more competive prices

Maverick you have a good point. Its not that the gym prices are gona rise so much but what we are getting per $ is returning less and less. I do agree even though oil is plentiful the oil co. are not gona want to lose the profits they are raping us with now.

I think the gamble will be huge opening up a gym now days and trying to compete with franchise chain gyms. Unfortuanately, things seem like they are gona get worse before they get better. Illegal immigration lower wages, fuel increases companies are gona have to raise prices to deliver the products etc pass the fees on to us. I would not risk opening a gym now days. Unless you buy outright and own the land. Good luck. MM

Hell I thought about franchising a Gold's Gym with my Veterin's Small Business Loan Garauntee... holy shit! You should see their website and Franchise requirement...they can keep it.

STORM SHADOW said:
Hell I thought about franchising a Gold's Gym with my Veterin's Small Business Loan Garauntee... holy shit! You should see their website and Franchise requirement...they can keep it.

Oh I know bro. They won't even talk to you unless your worth minimum 800k and minimum requirement for a gym is 20,000 sq ft. It's ridiculous. Worlds and Powerhouse are mch friendlier towards first time owners. Hell the sad thing is I know alot of mom and pop gyms that blow alot of Gold's I have been in away by a mile. Most Gold's are no better than the 24 hr fitness or Bally's. But then again we are excluding the "Mecca" and places like Bev francis' Golds of course.

Maverick

hmmmm I'll have to think of what to do. It's either going to be a gym or a tattoo studio....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr what does a wild man do with a $100K SBL by the Vet's Admin?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm

STORM SHADOW out

100k, bro you open a bad ass strip club! Nuff said!!!

Mav

I'm more concerned with how much $$$ its costing just to drive to the gym. LOL

thats why im saving for a power rack, barbell with weights including dumbells (pair of olympic style) and a bench. no gym memberships, no drive to the gym (even though i only live 2 miles away anyway), no waiting, all mine.

but yes food has gone up i remember what i payed for something once cost $5 is now $7 or 8. its getting ugly with gas prices too, around $3.00 in the LA area.

Home gym

I hear what your saying about the econmony...but what are you doing for funds now?...I built a 800 sq' addition on my garage for my on personal gym..no driving for me...but i'm not the norm...peoples health is worth alot to them...gear it towards baby boomers...lots of machines,clean & bright...and keep the bathrooms clean!! Go for it

I did have a professional home gym. $5k I spent on it. You know what I ended up doing? Using my gym membership...grrrrrr I just couldn't get as aggressive at home as I do at the gym.

I ended up donating it to a Green Beret unit.

STORM SHADOW out

my little tirant

i can see memberships going up. they already have at my gym in the five years i have been there they have went up $35 and i figure they will continue to rise. i dont think it will be to the point where people cant afford it. however if they raise the price $10 a year and people pay it then they will raise it $10 more the next year, and so on. As long as people are joining and renewing there memberships they will see that as a chance to make more money. This society talks about fat people awful (me included) but it is so easy and cheaper to be fat ex: if you go to applebees and order chicken fingers and fries its $7 if you order grilled chicken and seasonal veg. you get half the portion size for $11. same goes for the grocery store. if you buy frozen pizzas, hot pockets and t.v. dinners it costs you a lot less than if you buy lean ground beef and chicken,milk, eggs , fruit and veg. WHAT THE FUCK!!! that is why the obesity rate is fucking ridiculous and we have to look at fat fucking slobs everywhere we go!!! sorry that is just how i feel. But i am not sorry if you or someone you know is fat because more than likely they would make me sick. tank....

Been to a couple sponsored 401 K company meetings to push us to contribute more, as they were showing if inflation keep into check, that 40 years when it was time for us to retire things like a cheeseburger would be $40 :eek: and stuff like that....and the million that we saved wouldn't last us long. :rolleyes:
I would worry more about things like the area and it's growth (memebership potential) and hell the government may out law exercise in ten years they are going after those evil vitamins and herbs after all :( .
I'd talk to big daddy Phil and Tommy T for tips or advices. ;)

Personally I'd never open a gym, or even work in one again too many meatheads and I wanna spend as little time as possbile in tha gym these days as I can as I have a lot of equipment in my garage that I use.

I looked into opening a krispy kreame franchise a few years ago and that is looking like a good option now....I'll make a fortune! Dead serious too. ;)

KRISPY KREME??? way to go make this world more morbidly obese. i got an idea open up a lowfat nutritious cafe' you can charge more and help make sure there are people to pay for memberships, because it wont be the $$$ that keeps people out of the gym it will be all those people trying to capitalize on cheap foods loaded with fat increasing obesity to the point that people wont be able to get on a treadmill because of the weight limit. tank..

Massive G said:
Been to a couple sponsored 401 K company meetings to push us to contribute more, as they were showing if inflation keep into check, that 40 years when it was time for us to retire things like a cheeseburger would be $40 :eek: and stuff like that....and the million that we saved wouldn't last us long. :rolleyes:
I would worry more about things like the area and it's growth (memebership potential) and hell the government may out law exercise in ten years they are going after those evil vitamins and herbs after all :( .
I'd talk to big daddy Phil and Tommy T for tips or advices. ;)

Personally I'd never open a gym, or even work in one again too many meatheads and I wanna spend as little time as possbile in tha gym these days as I can as I have a lot of equipment in my garage that I use.

I looked into opening a krispy kreame franchise a few years ago and that is looking like a good option now....I'll make a fortune! Dead serious too. ;)

No way dude. Dunkin Donuts is way better. Their apple n' spice filled donuts are the main reason I am alive. Open a dunkin donuts bro and I will come work for you. Employee's get free donuts right?

Mav

I'm smack in the middle of the baby boomer (BB) generation. The BB's that I know either personally or through work are really concerned about "quality of life" as they reach their Golden Years. Nobody wants to live out their retirement years in a wheelchair or sittin on the couch. Many see exercise as another means to keep the body youthful and functional.

So think about how you can reach, attract, and keep the BB's. Demographically they are a MUCH LARGER group than ANY of the others.

xcelbeyond said:
I'm smack in the middle of the baby boomer (BB) generation. The BB's that I know either personally or through work are really concerned about "quality of life" as they reach their Golden Years. Nobody wants to live out their retirement years in a wheelchair or sittin on the couch. Many see exercise as another means to keep the body youthful and functional.

So think about how you can reach, attract, and keep the BB's. Demographically they are a MUCH LARGER group than ANY of the others.

That's so true my friend. I used to be a Fitness Consultant/Sales/Trainer for a Center... the stats that I reviewed stated that the 'AVERAGE' male will work out six mo's and quit and female only 4 mo's. If they have a membership 'CONTRACT', after that 4-6 mo's they just work out once in a while. The die hard BB's will show up like the Postman.

Now I do admit that many gyms that use the contract method use 'The Numbers Game', meaning...they understand that statistic and use it to their advantage by 'HOPING' that you'll stop working out...keep selling memberships and the gym never gets too crowded. Of course when you use up your area radius... you are stuck with what you have in members... you either accept what you have left in membership or close the doors and reopen under a different name and do it again. You can spot these gyms very easy by talking to members before you sign. The gym that uses the numbers system usually treats new members like VP's and after a few months... the member becomes invisible to the staff and service goes down.
Because I worked at a Center that used that unethical method (I did quit), the only place I have since signed a contract with is Bally's because they are giants and will be around. I also have the company Wellness Center that I use once in awhile if I'm still in the area which is free. The new staff at the Wellness Center are more BB'ing oreinted. Years ago it was not. It was run by a Dr at our company. We got in a major arguement in the parking lot. I asked him to get an inverted leg press and he told me it was the number one cause of back problems in gyms. I about shit my pants over that moronic statement esp after I reminded him that he has a squat rack in there. His mouth stopped moving...I caught him in his bullshit.

STORM SHADOW out

Last edited:
STORM SHADOW said:
The new staff at the Wellness Center are more BB'ing oreinted.
Did you mean to "baby boomer" or "body building" here?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws