over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Back problems L5,S1 - Help needed

garrithv

Registered
i hurt my back 3 years ago, went for normal xrays and MRI scan. L5 , S1 was where they found a slipped disk. I didnt go for the op at the time as after all the consulting the pain had eased, i continued to train for 2 years without problems. For the last 8-9 months i havent trained for various reasons and now i want to get back into it, although every few months i can feel my back at the place of injury. It would seem that when my back was strong from training there was less problems as compared to now with a weaker back from not training.

Saw the doc again today and got my xrays back, he suggests not going for the op except as a last resort or for stability and suggests not going heavy if i train.

1. Who has had this injury and has continued training with or without an op?

2. Generally back and leg exercises are gonna cause more trouble if i go heavy.
SO what exercises can i do for back and legs? I thought basically drop squats and
deads.... But what about rack deads. front squats and leg press?

thanks guys this sucks, if i cant train properly then all im left with is becoming fit...

oh yes if you need any other info just shout. at the moment im 200lbs 6'2"

garrithv said:
i hurt my back 3 years ago, went for normal xrays and MRI scan. L5 , S1 was where they found a slipped disk. I didnt go for the op at the time as after all the consulting the pain had eased, i continued to train for 2 years without problems. For the last 8-9 months i havent trained for various reasons and now i want to get back into it, although every few months i can feel my back at the place of injury. It would seem that when my back was strong from training there was less problems as compared to now with a weaker back from not training.

Saw the doc again today and got my xrays back, he suggests not going for the op except as a last resort or for stability and suggests not going heavy if i train.

1. Who has had this injury and has continued training with or without an op?

2. Generally back and leg exercises are gonna cause more trouble if i go heavy.
SO what exercises can i do for back and legs? I thought basically drop squats and
deads.... But what about rack deads. front squats and leg press?

thanks guys this sucks, if i cant train properly then all im left with is becoming fit...

oh yes if you need any other info just shout. at the moment im 200lbs 6'2"

i had the same disc problem ( L5 / S1 ) . it sucked ass . i had to give up my beloved sport (not bodybuilding at that time )
anyways , we started with epidural shots , and these is what i call shots . i see so many people come in here and cry about a little injection , LOL . that ain't shit compared to the epidurals .
i was tired of it as it just did not make me feel better , even if they helped a little . i went for an IDET , this is a procedure , where they don't cut you open , but they kill pain nerves around your disc and they shrink the disc as well . just look up the following on google " lower back IDET '' .
i am in the gym training hard ,harder than ever before and stronger than ever before as well , it took me about 3 months to get back into it , after rehab etc..
i can go heavy on leg press , squats etc.. the only exercise i am having problems with is floor deads , that is the only one . i can do front squats in the smithy . my regular squats are done in a smithy , all just for safety .but non the less , i go all out .
what really sucks though , i feel now the changes in the weather .

wake

thanks wake.

Thats awesome info, is there a differnce between a slipped disk and a ruptured disk? Ive started this thread on other boards and will bring any additional info i get here.

I know a few gys that have had some good recovery from a few stretching exercises and a GH/IGF protocol.

I will check up on that IDET you spoke of but I dont know if ill get it done here in South Africa... any idea on the cost of that op?

Technically there is no such thing as a "slipped" disc, but most of the time people are referring to a misaligned vertebrae or bulging or herniated disc. If you have a ruptured disc, by most medical accounts, you will not be walking or be in severe pain (in both your back and legs).

The IDET is interesting. Thanks for the info Wake. I know where Im from they dont do that procedure so Im not privy to the info....hell, they dont even do discograms around here. I will be looking more into this though, thanks again.

As far as your lower back....I think doing a little bit of abs (crunches) and some hyperextensions before back and legs would help. You would be pumping blood to the "injured" area and preparing it for the work ahead. I would also suggest sticking to the smythe machine or going lighter on your worksets of squats and slowing down the motion so your not straining your back. Also I would stick with rack deads and again do hyperextensions before any back work.

My 2 cents.

thanks Main.

I have been doing that for ages now and it definately helps, i do abs abs and extensions before every back or leg workout. I do notice that i only get pain afterwards from floor deads or heavy squats... so i guess i gotta play it safe and drop the deads and heavy legs....

IDET looks good and its availible my side but its also when the pain is too much, so i will keep it in mind and see what i can do without it for now. Like i said i havent been training for a while so im gonna start slow and im going for physio just to boost my core in the mean time.

I will post any other info i find

Another thing that may help and it helped a friend/patient of mine is using Nordic Naturals fish oils. I was skeptical but my friend saw the leading back surgeon (in Pittsburg) and he recommended he take it for a month. After a month his back pain had diminished by about 90-95% and he had no symptoms of sciatica. May want to give that a try also.

I had a laminectomy/ discectomy on my L5/S1, it was ruptured. I've been in the gym for a while now, I just can't do squats or deads. You need to do alot of leg stretches back stretches, keep your abs and back strong. I found that good mornings strengthened my back considerably. Every now and then I have a little back pain, I just pop a couple vicodin and life is good again, LOL.
Ill be forty in a couple weeks and I still push 400 bench.

garrithv said:
thanks wake.
. any idea on the cost of that op?

i've had it done in may 2001 . back then i paid $ 3500 for it , without insurance . yes i did have insurance ,but if i would have had it run through them , i would have had to wait for an additional 6 months . so i went private . i had to do it quick , because i had to get back into the U S .
best decision , i have ever made , as far as it goes for my back injury . if i would have to do it again >>> i wouldn't even hesitate !
no more bad stinging pain . you sure know the pain , which occurs right above your ass . it is a sad thing , to tell you the truth . i was very miserable . i was a top wakeboarder , in the world , at that time . i had to give it up . after the surgery , i did try it again , but it was impossible , because the landings , from doing a trick , were to harsh .
no problems doing weight lifting . and like i said before , the only thing that is different now , after the surgery (well not really a surgery) , is that i feel the changes in the weather . i could be a weather prophet , LOL :D

wake

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity