mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodybuilding drugs that directly damage the kidneys?

Landmonster

Registered
So notice that in my thread title I specify "bodybuilding drugs", and not just steroids.

My question is, what drugs (that are commonly or uncommonly used in bodybuilding) can directly damage the kidneys?

The reason I ask, is because the kidneys seem especially important to protect. We all know that they can't regenerate themselves. Also, kidneys are vital to the bodybuilding lifestyle (steroids or not), and to any healthy lifestyle in general. We should aim to reduce all kidney damage to the minimum.

So....

Can anyone bring a list of compounds that are directly proven to damage the kidneys?
  • Do we know if Trenbolone certainly causes kidney damage, or is this a rumor?
  • What about oral AAS?
  • What about various injectable AAS?
  • Specific painkillers, diuretics?
  • Exotic things like peptides, research chemicals, ancillaries, etc?

Bonus...
Also, please list any known OTC supplements that can directly harm the kidneys. Many of us use lots of OTC pills and powders and such.

Last edited:
My kidney function was always slightly out of wack on tren. My liver values were extremely high on tren.

Mike Arnold:

Trenbolone itself has not been proven to be any more toxic to the kidneys than any other non-methylated AAS.

If this is the case, then why do we occasionally hear of some people reporting kidney issues? Basically, all injectable steroids result in some type of kidney stress, but it is so mild that it is basically irrelevant and hardly worth our consideration. Even if Tren itself demonstrates a slightly higher degree of kidney toxicity than other injectables (although there is nothing in the literature to suggest this), it would be considered mild and nothing capable of causing kidney "damage". OTC anti-inflammatories are much more injurious to the kidneys than trenbolone...capable of causing kidney failure if abused, yet most of the people who gobble up Ibuprofen every day do not encounter any issues.

Aside Tren itself, there are other potential risk factors we need to take into consideration. One should remember that for many years, a very large number of Tren users were converting fina pellets into injectable Trenbolone. While most people were fine with this from a health standpoint, the special "solution" found in the tren kits frequently contained an excessive amount of additives....not to mention it is impossible to filter out all the polutants found in the extremely unsterile pellets. Another factor is that we need to take into consideration is that most Tren is produced by UGL's...and often, depending on where your Tren is bought, the product can be filled with polutants. Of course, other UGL products would be subject to this same problem, but we cannot rule out the possibility that some reports of kidney damage with tren usage have nothing to do with Tren at all and were simply due to poor manufacturing. At other times, it might simply be a case of mistaken identity, wher the individual just assumes their kidney strain is from Tren, when it could have been due to another cause altogether, such as anti-inflammatory usage. Since steroid users have been taught to believe that Tren is the cause of kidney problems, it is easy to see why many people would automatically assume that Tren is the culprit, regardless of whether they have any evidence to substantiate this belief.

The #1 cause of kidney issues in steroid users is due to high blood pressure. High blood pressure, especially when kept elevated for an extended period of time, can cause tremendous damage to the kidneys....and guess what, Trenbolone frequently causes high blood pressure. Not everyone will experience elevated blood pressure when using Trenbolone, as personal response can be so varried, but many do...and if left unattended, it can easily result in kidney strain/damage.

So, it seems to me that Tren itself is NOT the direct cause of problem...and might not play any role at all...or at best, is only a mild aggravator. On the other hand, we do know that Tren can indirectly cause kidney strain (in some cases) through its ability to cause high blood pressure...and when combined with the other possible risk factors mentioned above (Tren-kits, UGL polutants, Tren being a potential aggravator, other contributing drugs, case of mistaken identity, etc) it is not hard to see why some Tren users have reported this problem and blamed it directly on Trenbolone.

Personally, I have NEVER heard of anyone experiencing kidney strain with Trenbolone when their blood pressure is maintaned and they are using high-quality (or pharm-grade) versions of Tren.

It's an interesting read, but I can't say how reliable it is without the use of scientific studies.

I question how much BA really damages the kidneys in the long run. Studies that mention how nephrotoxic the stuff is are using insane dosages that are no where near what BB's use in long term injectables abuse. It's the same argument with cabergoline causing long-term damage despite the fact that BB'ers use significantly less than doses used in studies.

So

Mike Arnold:

Trenbolone itself has not been proven to be any more toxic to the kidneys than any other non-methylated AAS.

If this is the case, then why do we occasionally hear of some people reporting kidney issues? Basically, all injectable steroids result in some type of kidney stress, but it is so mild that it is basically irrelevant and hardly worth our consideration. Even if Tren itself demonstrates a slightly higher degree of kidney toxicity than other injectables (although there is nothing in the literature to suggest this), it would be considered mild and nothing capable of causing kidney "damage". OTC anti-inflammatories are much more injurious to the kidneys than trenbolone...capable of causing kidney failure if abused, yet most of the people who gobble up Ibuprofen every day do not encounter any issues.

Aside Tren itself, there are other potential risk factors we need to take into consideration. One should remember that for many years, a very large number of Tren users were converting fina pellets into injectable Trenbolone. While most people were fine with this from a health standpoint, the special "solution" found in the tren kits frequently contained an excessive amount of additives....not to mention it is impossible to filter out all the polutants found in the extremely unsterile pellets. Another factor is that we need to take into consideration is that most Tren is produced by UGL's...and often, depending on where your Tren is bought, the product can be filled with polutants. Of course, other UGL products would be subject to this same problem, but we cannot rule out the possibility that some reports of kidney damage with tren usage have nothing to do with Tren at all and were simply due to poor manufacturing. At other times, it might simply be a case of mistaken identity, wher the individual just assumes their kidney strain is from Tren, when it could have been due to another cause altogether, such as anti-inflammatory usage. Since steroid users have been taught to believe that Tren is the cause of kidney problems, it is easy to see why many people would automatically assume that Tren is the culprit, regardless of whether they have any evidence to substantiate this belief.

The #1 cause of kidney issues in steroid users is due to high blood pressure. High blood pressure, especially when kept elevated for an extended period of time, can cause tremendous damage to the kidneys....and guess what, Trenbolone frequently causes high blood pressure. Not everyone will experience elevated blood pressure when using Trenbolone, as personal response can be so varried, but many do...and if left unattended, it can easily result in kidney strain/damage.

So, it seems to me that Tren itself is NOT the direct cause of problem...and might not play any role at all...or at best, is only a mild aggravator. On the other hand, we do know that Tren can indirectly cause kidney strain (in some cases) through its ability to cause high blood pressure...and when combined with the other possible risk factors mentioned above (Tren-kits, UGL polutants, Tren being a potential aggravator, other contributing drugs, case of mistaken identity, etc) it is not hard to see why some Tren users have reported this problem and blamed it directly on Trenbolone.

Personally, I have NEVER heard of anyone experiencing kidney strain with Trenbolone when their blood pressure is maintaned and they are using high-quality (or pharm-grade) versions of Tren.

It's an interesting read, but I can't say how reliable it is without the use of scientific studies.

I question how much BA really damages the kidneys in the long run. Studies that mention how nephrotoxic the stuff is are using insane dosages that are no where near what BB's use in long term injectables abuse. It's the same argument with cabergoline causing long-term damage despite the fact that BB'ers use significantly less than doses used in studies.

Basically you are saying that you do not know?

Basically you are saying that you do not know?

No I don't. Do you have a study that says it does at the doses you use? (referring to the BA)

My bloodwork on 8+ weeks of tren is always within range for liver and kidneys.

Last edited:
No I don't. Do you have a study that says it does at the doses you use? (referring to the BA)

Does that mean you are not causing any damage?

I having been doing a LOT of research on myoglobin and exercise-induced rhabdomyolysis (too much myoglobin in the blood from exercise). Anything that increases myoglobin puts additional stress on the kidneys (myoglobin is made more toxic by a high protein diet that is acidic!). Steroids that greatly increase your strength would increase myoglobin the most.

Does that mean you are not causing any damage?

I'm sure the BA/EO in steroids causes minute damage over time, but nothing close to the ridiculous amounts they've tested on animals in a lab setting. I would be more worried about the diuretic usage, bp, high protein diet and the myoglobin kaladryn is talking about.

I'm sure the BA/EO in steroids causes minute damage over time, but nothing close to the ridiculous amounts they've tested on animals in a lab setting. I would be more worried about the diuretic usage, bp, high protein diet and the myoglobin kaladryn is talking about.

Does that mean you are not an animal ?

The thing is high protein diet doesn't do anything to my kidneys...maybe it does to you ?

Last edited:
Does that mean you are not an animal ?

The thing is high protein diet doesn't do anything to my kidneys...maybe it does to you ?

Toxicology and Carcinogenesis Studies of Benzyl Alcohol (CAS No. 100-51-6) in F344/N Rats and B6C3F1 Mice (Gavage Studies)
Chemical Formula: C7H8O - 3D Structure*

Toxicology and carcinogenesis studies of technical-grade benzyl alcohol (99% pure), a textile dye additive, solvent, and food flavoring agent, were conducted by administering the chemical by gavage in corn oil vehicle to groups of F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice of each sex for 16 days, 13 weeks, or 2 years.

Short-Term Studies:
In 16-day studies, all five male and five female rats and mice dosed with 2,000 mg/kg benzyl alcohol died. Two of five male and 3/5 female rats and 1/5 male and 2/5 female mice dosed with 1,000 mg/kg died. Rats and mice of each sex in the two highest dose groups were lethargic after dosing. Other toxic responses to benzyl alcohol in these dose groups included blood around the mouth and nose, subcutaneous hemorrhages, and blood in the urinary and gastrointestinal tracts of rats and blood in the urinary bladder of mice. Animals administered lower doses of benzyl alcohol (125, 250, or 500 mg/kg) had no compound-related histologic lesions.

Doses selected for the 13-week studies were 0, 50, 100, 200, 400, and 800 mg/kg for rats and mice. Eight of 10 male rats dosed with 800 mg/kg died during weeks 7 and 8; four of these deaths were described as gavage related. Rats dosed with 800 mg/kg exhibited clinical signs indicative of neurotoxicity including staggering, respiratory difficulty, and lethargy. Hemorrhages occurred around the mouth and nose, and there were histologic lesions in the brain, thymus, skeletal muscle, and kidney.

Studies like the one i showed above are testing mice with doses much larger than what we're subjected to on a daily basis. I haven't been able to hunt down a human study where doses similar to what a bodybuider might use are tested long-term. So it's difficult to say how much damage the BA is doing. I know fina-kits use BA as a solvent which is much worse then most injectables so staying away from poorly made tren is your best bet in terms of direct steroid related nephrotoxicity.

High protein diets are known to increase urea production, which is problematic if you have underlying kidney disease. If you stay hydrated however, and are a healthy individual, you probably don't have to worry too much about it.

You're biggest dangers are painkillers like NSAIDS and blood pressure. I don't know how much damage the myoglobin does in comparison, so only Kaladryn could comment.

Last edited:

Have you done scans of your liver to check for adenomas? Blood work doesn't tell you if you have abnormal growths in the liver.

GFR

What lowers GRF faster is diabetes, high systolic BP, low total protein level.......especially in women. Watch your blood glucose levels, your blood pressure and your albumin and globulin.

I think BA and ethyl oleate are the culprits with high BP of course.

Most of what you say just annoys the shit out of me.....but that makes me feel better at least since I wont use anything with those harsher solvents in them...and BA is never above 2% solution

Most of what you say just annoys the shit out of me.....but that makes me feel better at least since I wont use anything with those harsher solvents in them...and BA is never above 2% solution

My US pharm test has 94.5mg of Benzyl Alcohol per bottle, AND two full mL of Benzyl Benzoate (it's 20% BB). :(

My US pharm test has 94.5mg of Benzyl Alcohol per bottle, AND two full mL of Benzyl Benzoate (it's 20% BB). :(

well he didn't say anything about BB lol. I use 2/20 for pretty much everything

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
RingSteel
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity