over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodybuilding with Kidney issues ?

dya

Registered
Got Diagnosed Type I Diabetic 3 years ago.Since i know Diabetes makes the kidneys work harder,i cut my protein down from 400g+ to 300g...

I control my Glucose levels pretty well ( Last A1c was 6.6 ) I competed in 2009 with good results ( Best i have personally looked ) with lower doses of AAS than i used to use in the past.All my bloodwork was coming back great also.

Back end of last year my Bloodwork came back with a GFR ( Kidney Filtration ) of 63....

After speaking with my Doctor,we decided to lower my Protein to 150g per day.Around 6 weeks later my GFR came back upto 70.Recently i upped my Protein to 200g and my recent bloodwork shows a GFR of 62 :(

Currently using 250mg Test Enanthate every 7 - 10 days.I did plan on starting a cycle next week,but that isnt going to happen right now....

Considering lowering my Protein intake back to 150g and making the rest of the Kcal up from Carbs and Fat ( Even though i cant go crazy on the carbs due to my diabetes )

Anyone here maintain a competitive standard Physique on low amounts of protein and low dose AAS use ( Thinking of 500mg Test per week ) ?

Im at a bit of a crossroads here.Do i leave Competitve bodybuilding behind and just focus on having a smaller/Leaner/fitness type look...Or do i continue and see how things go with regular bloodwork ?

Do AAS have a lot of impact on the Kidneys ? I was under the impression that they put more strain on the Liver if anything else ?

I love this sport,and would be hard to let go.I have been into BB since i was 17 years old ( 33 now ) and BB is always around me ( i own a Gym ) but i wont sacrifice my health.I would love to compete again,but may have to be happy with just training and having a "Smaller" healthier Physique.Im not a huge guy...compete around 200 - 210

Any input from anyone with similar concerns or anyone who competes with Kidney issues or someone who has to eat low amounts of protein appreciated.....

Last edited:
Got Diagnosed Type I Diabetic 3 years ago.Since i know Diabetes makes the kidneys work harder,i cut my protein down from 400g+ to 300g...

I control my Glucose levels pretty well ( Last A1c was 6.6 ) I competed in 2009 with good results ( Best i have personally looked ) with lower doses of AAS than i used to use in the past.All my bloodwork was coming back great also.

Back end of last year my Bloodwork came back with a GFR ( Kidney Filtration ) of 63....

After speaking with my Doctor,we decided to lower my Protein to 150g per day.Around 6 weeks later my GFR came back upto 70.Recently i upped my Protein to 200g and my recent bloodwork shows a GFR of 62 :(

Currently using 250mg Test Enanthate every 7 - 10 days.I did plan on starting a cycle next week,but that isnt going to happen right now....

Considering lowering my Protein intake back to 150g and making the rest of the Kcal up from Carbs and Fat ( Even though i cant go crazy on the carbs due to my diabetes )

Anyone here maintain a competitive standard Physique on low amounts of protein and low dose AAS use ( Thinking of 500mg Test per week ) ?

Im at a bit of a crossroads here.Do i leave Competitve bodybuilding behind and just focus on having a smaller/Leaner/fitness type look...Or do i continue and see how things go with regular bloodwork ?

Do AAS have a lot of impact on the Kidneys ? I was under the impression that they put more strain on the Liver if anything else ?

I love this sport,and would be hard to let go.I have been into BB since i was 17 years old ( 33 now ) and BB is always around me ( i own a Gym ) but i wont sacrifice my health.I would love to compete again,but may have to be happy with just training and having a "Smaller" healthier Physique.Im not a huge guy...compete around 200 - 210

Any input from anyone with similar concerns or anyone who competes with Kidney issues or someone who has to eat low amounts of protein appreciated.....

I beleive George farah(sp?) eats a low amount of protein......and the smart answer to ur situation is stop competing....the dehydration involved is tough on the kidneys....as well as raised blood pressure from various other compounds...not to mention what happens to blood lipids when u drop estrogen down to contest ready levels and use non aromatizing steroids....I know some guys personally who's hdl was in the single digits post contest

Thanks....I might hit George an email.Do you know if he has Kidney issues ?

I dont think i will compete again,unless im 100% sure my Kidneys wont regress.I will be happy if i can still train and eat like a bodybuilder....

The protein was fine, diabetes will effect the kidneys when blood glucose is elevated. If your blood sugar is under control, you will be fine, and protein has nothing to do with it....from a diabetic stand-point. This is all long-term affects too.

Now, high protein and long-term dehydration can affect the kidneys, as it will with everybody here on the board.

Are you insulin dependant? In other words, are you using insulin?

BMJ

I am Type I insulin dependant...

I agree that High(er) Protein intake shouldnt cause Kidney issues in someone who has healthy kidneys.My kidneys are showing signs of strain hence the low GFR result.A reading of 62 puts me at stage 2 Kindey damage.Under 60 would be stage 3 ( There are 5 stages...stage 5 is Dialysis/Transplant ! )

I am constantly on top of my Blood Glucose.I eat very clean 90% of the time,allowing cheats at weekend,but always cover with extra insulin....

My last HBa1c was 6.4 so im doing ok ( Target is under 7 )

My Doctor isnt overly concerned,but i am ! He does think i no longer use AAS though.He is very anti AAS and actually anti Bodybuilding/Weight Training in general !

Im thinking of 200g Protein per day and 500mg Test with possibly 250mg Boldenone per week and see what my bloodwork comes back as...

I was reading that as we age,it is normal for the kidneys to lose around 1 GFR rate per Year,but Diabetics who encounter damage due to high Glucose levels can lose upto 1 GFR rate PER MONTH !!! :(

Correct, our GFR can decline as we age. Your protein intake is fine as long as your glucose and blood pressure values are within normal ranges. Those statistics you stated at the end were like, at best, worse case scenario, for somebody in the general population who is probably obese and has had uncontrolled diabetes for years before they reached that point (in addition to BP issues).

BMJ

Thanks for your input.Worst case Scenario always comes to the front of my mind !

Im going to tread carefully and get Bloodwork done and see how things go...

I dont feel unwell or anything like that,but a GFR of 62 concerns me :( Normal is 90+...

Thanks for your input.Worst case Scenario always comes to the front of my mind !

Im going to tread carefully and get Bloodwork done and see how things go...

I dont feel unwell or anything like that,but a GFR of 62 concerns me :( Normal is 90+...

What was your BUN and creatinine from the blood work?

I know my Creatinine was a little high.Isnt it always elavated when you weight train heavy ?

I'm not 100% sure on either of the following points, but they may be worth looking into further if you're doing research:

1) I don't have a link for you, but I'm pretty sure I've read that HGH could help with kidney support to some extent. Kidneys shrink with age, and GH is reported to increase organ size, so.... (but more than just conjecture, I've seen it in more than one source)

2) Also, you mentioned taking EQ. I thought I remembered reading that it increases red blood cell count. An increased red blood cell count would seem to affect kidney strain, but I'm not sure if it would be positive or negative.

Thanks Nickels....

I cant use GH as it raises Blood Glucose and messes up my insulin sensitivity :( I did try 2iu per day last year and it made my Blood Glucose harder to control.

The EQ....I had took the RBC scenario into account,hence the lower dose.I would usually use 500 - 600mg.I know Nandrolone is an alternative,but im not a fan of Nandrolone.

*I posted this thread in the main Forum.Mods...Why was it moved ?

I cant use GH as it raises Blood Glucose and messes up my insulin sensitivity :( I did try 2iu per day last year and it made my Blood Glucose harder to control.

In that case, what about EPO? (though I guess that's more for improving cardio than muscle mass)

I would never consider EPO tbh....

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke