over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodyfat

Basstart

Newbies
Hi Guys,

I've been reading this for a while and what a fantastic resource it is. Looking at some of the members pictures is really motivating-those guys are huge!
My question is, I am quite muscular however it is covered by a bit of fat, especially around the stomach.
After reading some of the members posts in the pictures forums, alot of these guys are shredded but they say they don't do cardio. How do they do this? Obviously diet plays a big part, but is that it? I am a natural bodybuilder and have no intention of ever getting on gear.
How do these guys have such low bodyfat without doing cardio? Is there more to it than diet? I would love to have a sixpack for our summer (southern hemisphere) but it just isn't happening.

I would really appreciate any input/suggestions.

Thanks

DIET - it's that simple. Read my signature! :D

There's a saying that Ellis uses, which I like to quote:
"Abs are made in the kitchen - not in the gym"

It's all about food (correct balance of macronutrients), which is energy, for the amount of energy your body expends. Eating the proper macronutrient balance, at frequent intervals, along with proper workouts can do the job.

It doesn't hurt to do low intensity cardio to help it along. Many people, including myself, tend to burn too much muscle if excessive cardio is performed.

By the way, I gotta go - time to do cardio!

thanks mate, I thought my diet was pretty good but it obviously has to be better! I was reading a post by one of the members who said he achieved that look by cutting out starchy carbs-does this mean pasta, breads etc?
Thanks!

Basstart said:
I was reading a post by one of the members who said he achieved that look by cutting out starchy carbs-does this mean pasta, breads etc?
In general, yes. If you do occaisionally have pasta, make it whole wheat pasta (and not a lot). On bread, whole grain/earthy (the heavy stuff) but only half what you'd normally eat and just on occaision.

Make sure you're spreading out your meals to at least 5 a day, more is better (not calories, frequency).

thanks again for the reply, just also wondering about protein shakes. I used these a couple of years ago but found that I only put on fat. Are shakes a good idea? How often should I have them, both on workout days and non-workout days? Should I have one after cardio? And what should I put in it?
Sorry for all the questions, I really want to make a go of this without putting on fat.

Cheers!

" just also wondering about protein shakes. I used these a couple of years ago but found that I only put on fat. "

That's because you used crap ones - don't worry, not your fault. You just fell for the marketing.

" Are shakes a good idea?"

A quality shake i essential in maintaining muscle mass when dieting.

" How often should I have them, both on workout days and non-workout days? "

I personally prefer to have one with every meal as to keep my protein intake high.
Keep in mind, that a shake means whey isolate in water.

"And what should I put in it?"

Just the powder and water.

"Sorry for all the questions, I really want to make a go of this without putting on fat."

Read my article in the Article's forum called 'Dieting and getting ready for compeititons' I tiwll tell you how to get lean. The diet part applies even if you are natural.

Only use a good quality whey protein isolate like Synthetek or True Protein.

I found it makes a big difference "for me" by eating meals rather then replacing a meal with a drink. Drinks work well for maintainance or bulking but for Fat Loss I stagnate on them. There may be "hectic days" where using drinks may be a that's all or nothing issue. I just seem to "lose BF" better on real food. I limit protein drink to post workout only.

Thanks for both your replies! I will read your article now Big A. As I said in an earlier post, this is a fantastic resource, I wish I'd stumbled on this site a few years ago!
One final thing - my mate bought whey protein which is 82% whey protein. Is this enough? Is the general rule the higher the protein percentage the better?
Being in Australia im not sure if we get synthatek or trueprotein, and if I can't find either of those i'll go for the one with the most whey protein.

Last edited:
Basstart said:
Thanks for both your replies! I will read your article now Big A. As I said in an earlier post, this is a fantastic resource, I wish I'd stumbled on this site a few years ago!
One final thing - my mate bought whey protein which is 82% whey protein. Is this enough? Is the general rule the higher the protein percentage the better?
Being in Australia im not sure if we get synthatek or trueprotein, and if I can't find either of those i'll go for the one with the most whey protein.

Synthetek is available in Aust - www.synthetek.com Synthetek's two protein powders are SynthePURE and SyntheBLEND.

82% whey sounds like concentrate which is crap. You want isolate, and then it has to be CFM undenatured. And from a reputable company - not many in Aust!

Alrighty, I got my synthePURE do I also need dextrose and maltodextrose (spelling??)? Are these essential to my post workout shake and what is there purpose?

Thanks!

In the US, you can get those things at most Health Food Stores.

It tends to increase your insulin level and allow your muscles to uptake nutrients. It's not detrimental that you use those in your post workout drink. It's very helpful in a bulking/off season phase. You may want to add about 1/2 what you'd normally use - around 25g.

xcelbeyond said:
In general, yes. If you do occaisionally have pasta, make it whole wheat pasta (and not a lot). On bread, whole grain/earthy (the heavy stuff) but only half what you'd normally eat and just on occaision.

Make sure you're spreading out your meals to at least 5 a day, more is better (not calories, frequency).

Sorry to resurrect this thread again, just wondering on the whole wheat pasta pack i noticed it has more carbs than white pasta-is whole wheat pasta still preferable? I guess even though it has more carbs it is less refined right?

Thanks

The comparison is similar to real whole wheat bread versus white bread.

When I used to do precontest, there was a certain point that my trainer had me quit taking any gluten (wheat products). I'm not sure of his reason, maybe someone can elaborate.

I don't like any kind of processed carbs like pasta. Makes me wattery like all hell.

About 10 years ago gluten free stuff was all the rage. Supposed to make you hold water. I never saw any difference between gluten free products v products with gluten.

yes

clean up the diet. no bad food. But your not going to lose any fat unless your burn more calories than u take in. You probably know this, but some of my friends think they will get cut up just by eating good. You can still get fat off tuna and brown ice if you eat enough of it. if you want to lose fat u gotta cut out some calories and yes it will be uncomfortable at times.

Just keep your diet somewhat clean like these guys are telling you. Over time the more muscle you put on and if you clean up your diet you will eventually lean out.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws