over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Building a franchise: training in Italy

Ness

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Being a custom home architect, I have been sucked into the vortex caused by the housing bust. I’m sick and tired of it and I want out as I don’t see much light at the end of this tunnel.

I have been looking at several franchises and do not care for the majority of the business models that most of them have. Paying someone a royalty for the duration of my "ownership" is like paying the mafia.

So, I am playing with the idea of moving to Italy for 3-6 months, learning a trade and eventually developing my own franchise back here in the US. Yes, I do know what trade I want to learn so that is irrelevant for now.

Does anyone have any experience/ideas with this? Do you think I’m nuts? Does anyone live in Italy now?

Thank you for your time and all comments welcome.

Design "Green" homes with wind mill or solar equipment. use recycled wood recycled brick ect... Charge less than a normal home of same square footage...brain storm toward this direction...how to design homes that dont need to be on the grid or use oil..a home totally self sufficient and reliant....just an idea.

Design "Green" homes with wind mill or solar equipment. use recycled wood recycled brick ect... Charge less than a normal home of same square footage...brain storm toward this direction...how to design homes that dont need to be on the grid or use oil..a home totally self sufficient and reliant....just an idea.

Thanks for your thoughts...

However, my clients dictate how their home will be built and with what. Changing construction methods and materials per plan does not increase my demand as an architect or solve this sector's problems.

Im out, on to new things. Im not interested in being an architect at the moment. Its time to adapt and survive and evolve. I will not be defined by my education or career. Im motivated by what makes me happy. Right now, thats doing something else.

However, my clients dictate how their home will be built and with what. Changing construction methods and materials per plan does not increase my demand as an architect or solve this sector's problems.

Im out, on to new things. Im not interested in being an architect at the moment. Its time to adapt and survive and evolve. I will not be defined by my education or career. Im motivated by what makes me happy. Right now, thats doing something else.

I think you should reconsider...be the change, don't let it dictate you in a diff direction.
Us your education to change how housing is made, how people think of affordable housing...trust me change is upon us. The market will have to adapt.
don't let a new era change your course...you need to adapt very true but not by running in another direction.
Improvise and over come...not turn and start over.:)
What you resist persists...what you look at loses its illusion.
Give you self some time and think about this before giving in.
The one most important question to ask yourself in any decision is: " Is this who I am",

Last edited:

Why don't you focus on commercial projects?
I mean to give up on architecture, after 5-6 years of school, (depending on state and when you received) Along with your service work, (you know how much that sucked) and the ARE's?

C'mon! That was a lot of sacrifice!

Never the less, I do see a lot of colleagues, going into property development, there is just not a lot of money in architecture for the majority. JMO.

Good luck.

DB

YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT

Okay, I admit it!

I got on my bicycle (Phil Hernon cardio style) and cruised up and down the streets of Downtown Denver. I found 3 houses in a row in a nice neighborhood that were falling apart. I could also tell that people were still living in these sad little homes. There is no way those roofs were going to make it another couple of years. Personally, I dont think they're keeping out any water right now.

Im working to make 2 or all 3 an offer for their properties asap. If all is well, Ill be drawing my next few projects; except that I will be the client. Really, my hope is that I can also do these people a favor too.

Thanks!

I personally think this is great advice. This is were the market is headed.

I lived in southern Italy for years. What part were you going to?

HI!

I lived in southern Italy for years. What part were you going to?

Last summer I spent a few weeks there on vacation. I was in Lake Como, Venice, Milan, Florence, and Rome. I wish I could have seen more...

I loved Milan and Rome. Im a city guy and I would have no problem making Rome my home for a while...However, I could be convinced to live on the upper west coast (La Spezia) for a stint. Id like to PM you and tell you the details of my so-called plan, perhaps you would be interested?

Where in Italy did you live?

I actually do have experience in trying to set up a franchise. Unfortunately the business I franchised didn't make it, but I learned a lot from the experience. It was an expensive lesson to learn. Anyway if you want to learn more info on franchising or buying a franchise then I can recommend a lawyer who specializes in franchise laws. He can help you find a franchise business that fits your needs or to start a business. He's very good and can answer a lot of the questions are probably going through your head right now.

www.nationalfranchise.com
Steve Raines
National Franchise Associates, Inc.
Lavonia, GA 30553
Ph: (770) 945-0660
Fax: (770) 338-1603

Sassy,

Thank you for your time in posting. My wife just so happens to be a lawyer and a real estate broker.

Did I mention that she is the boss...next to Phil H of course. :D

I have found some fantastic opportunites in the foreclosure market and I am investing my interests in that. This thread has really helped focus me and rethink my attitude.

Ness:

It a great opportunity to buy in the foreclosure/distressed market. I have been buying a couple hundred properties a year for the last few years. The market has changed. I mainly wholesale mine to other investors, although I do keep a few rental. I have rehabbed and sold retail, but that is where the market is hurting the worst. I would suggest a strategy of buying, repairing, and selling to other investors who realize now is a great time to buy and hold for a couple of years, and not exit right away. Sell on a lease purchase or rent for a while. The whole key is buying at the right price and in a neighborhood that is mostly retail owners, and not renters. You want your house to be the "damn rental house" in a decent neighborhood.

Don't buy any two bedroom homes. Two baths is a great deal more valueable than 1.5 baths. Subdivisions are easier to gauge prices, both in and out. The first house on the main street in a subdivision is worth 10% or more less than those in the cul-de-sacs. Don't buy houses with swimming pools. Don't buy houses that you need to "add a room". Want a three bedroom house? Buy one. The time and expense of addtions, permitting etc., will cancel out the gains you will make. You make your money doing two things 1)Buying right 2) Selling fast. Don't be lured into "I can fix it myself and save money". Get it done today, not three weeks from today. The carrying costs and time off market in a declinging market will eat away at any savings by doing the work yourself.

The easiest customer will be your colleagues who think now is a good time to hold real estate also. Don't forget, even though I primarily quick turn real estate, the true power in wealth building of real estate is leverage.

Pekkerwood

Excellent post. Thank you. I have put in a few low-ball offers, trying to pick up properties before they go to auction. Unfortunatly, Im new the this game and my head is spinning...but Im on the right track. I agree that buying the right property and waiting to get the right deal in the right neighborhood is the key. This is a lot of fun, but man, the game is hard to play when you're green.
Ness:

It a great opportunity to buy in the foreclosure/distressed market. I have been buying a couple hundred properties a year for the last few years. The market has changed. I mainly wholesale mine to other investors, although I do keep a few rental. I have rehabbed and sold retail, but that is where the market is hurting the worst. I would suggest a strategy of buying, repairing, and selling to other investors who realize now is a great time to buy and hold for a couple of years, and not exit right away. Sell on a lease purchase or rent for a while. The whole key is buying at the right price and in a neighborhood that is mostly retail owners, and not renters. You want your house to be the "damn rental house" in a decent neighborhood.

Don't buy any two bedroom homes. Two baths is a great deal more valueable than 1.5 baths. Subdivisions are easier to gauge prices, both in and out. The first house on the main street in a subdivision is worth 10% or more less than those in the cul-de-sacs. Don't buy houses with swimming pools. Don't buy houses that you need to "add a room". Want a three bedroom house? Buy one. The time and expense of addtions, permitting etc., will cancel out the gains you will make. You make your money doing two things 1)Buying right 2) Selling fast. Don't be lured into "I can fix it myself and save money". Get it done today, not three weeks from today. The carrying costs and time off market in a declinging market will eat away at any savings by doing the work yourself.

The easiest customer will be your colleagues who think now is a good time to hold real estate also. Don't forget, even though I primarily quick turn real estate, the true power in wealth building of real estate is leverage.

Pekkerwood

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner