over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Carpel Tunnel During Bench Press

Registered
For the past three months I have experienced "tingling and numbness" in my right index and middle finger during bench press. The nerve distribution makes me believe it is related to nerve compression in my wrist secondary to my form/grip during the bench press. The symptoms only occur during bench press and disappear about two hours after the workout. Anyone have a similar experience with this? Is it more likely related to my form or grip?

On a side note, if I wanted to do push-ups between sets to hit my upper chest would my head be closer or further from the ground compared to my feet?

My hands have hurt so much at night it would wake me at times.
It might be where you squeeze the damn bar as hard as you can it causes tunnel or cramps.At Westside Barbell Louie screams at you to squeeze and at the same time try to pull the bar apart ,it will help you to a new pr.
The other hand after 20 years of that shit you tend to have to pay for it:D
You may just need to watch how you are benching and make adjustments on your grip and hand placements.
If it where me and i didn't compete i would just ax the flat barbell bench all together cause there are plenty of better exercises to hit your pecs.

My hands have hurt so much at night it would wake me at times.
It might be where you squeeze the damn bar as hard as you can it causes tunnel or cramps.At Westside Barbell Louie screams at you to squeeze and at the same time try to pull the bar apart ,it will help you to a new pr.
The other hand after 20 years of that shit you tend to have to pay for it:D
You may just need to watch how you are benching and make adjustments on your grip and hand placements.
If it where me and i didn't compete i would just ax the flat barbell bench all together cause there are plenty of better exercises to hit your pecs.

Thanks GS. Next time I will try to "lighten" my grip on the bar. I do take a very wide grip when I bench so that could be part of the problem as well. I would like to keep the bench press in my routine because for some reason I feel it best in my pecs compared to other exercises.

I believe in the basics barbell squat, bench, deadlifts exhaust all your options first which sounds like what you are going to do.
I get pain under my thumbs when benching so wraping my wrists fairly tight with an old pair of knee wraps cut in half sure helps on the heavier sets.

I believe in the basics barbell squat, bench, deadlifts exhaust all your options first which sounds like what you are going to do.
I get pain under my thumbs when benching so wraping my wrists fairly tight with an old pair of knee wraps cut in half sure helps on the heavier sets.

I hear you on the wrist wraps ,i got mine from APT (source on here)they have from 12 inches to what i use 36 inches in length .

Last edited:
I was wondering myself .. ill try that myself thanks

do you bend your wrists way back or keep them in a more neutral position?

Thanks GS. Next time I will try to "lighten" my grip on the bar. I do take a very wide grip when I bench so that could be part of the problem as well. I would like to keep the bench press in my routine because for some reason I feel it best in my pecs compared to other exercises.

Wide grip puts your wrist in a very unnatural position, try bringing it in a few inches and wrap your wrist. Try this on top of GS suggestion of not having a deathgrip on the bar.

Last edited:

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311