over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cervical Fusion Results

Reno911

Registered
Hello. Read through most of the older threads on spinal fusion. Quite a bit more information/insight from member on lumber fusions vs. cervical.

A couple quick questions for those that have been through a 1 or 2 level cervical fusion. In my case, they are looking at fusing C6/7 or C5-7 depending on the CT and EMG results.

Questions:

Post surgery what percentage of your strength came back to normal?

What percentage of your size on that side were you able to "grow" back?

How long was the strength loss and/or atrophy in place before the surgery was performed?

Pain level and ability to sleep post surgery?

How long before picking up a weight? (sounds like the fusion will take 4 full months to heal and it's important not to put load on the spine that could drive the cages into the vertebrae and lessen the intervertebral space)

TIA!!!

I'm fused from C3 to T1 through multiple surgeries and from Ankylosing Spondylitis. I also have two levels of lumbar spine L4 to L5s1 fused.

Are you currently experiencing any weakness in any appendages due to whatever issue your having in your neck?

I had pain in my left arm and unfortunately I only got back roughly 85 to 90% of my strength and my left bicep is flat, it won't grow. If the issue is left too long, it can cause permanent nerve damage. Otherwise, everything else is good!

A fusion actually takes a year or two to completely heal but depending on how many levels the fusion is, will determine how long you're out for. I can see 4 to 6 months being realistic for you. Who knows, maybe sooner but be careful!

The pain was manageable with meds. You'll be in a brace. Hard or soft is up to your doctor, sometimes both. Hard during the day and soft for sleeping.

Are you currently experiencing any weakness in any appendages due to whatever issue your having in your neck?

Thanks for the detailed info Bio.

The left Tricep has about 50% strength and has lost about in inch compared to right. The issue started early April but the strength loss didn't happen until early May. It hasn't worsened since the initial strength drop and atrophy but I don't like the idea of letting it go any further.

The left bicep and lat are at about 10% of a deficit so not nearly as bad as the tricep.

Pain at first was only at night and mornings but now it's pretty much 24/7.

They said they will decide to do the C5/6 in addition to the C6/7 if the EMG shows the nerve root there is compromised in firing the muscles that root controls.

My surgeon told me that permanent damage can happen quickly in that area and to get it fixed sooner rather than later. All I can say is that time will tell and reveal the outcome when you recover. Best of luck and hopefully things move along quickly so there's no permanent damage!

I'm hopefully about to get a new MRI for my neck. Last Summer, an MRI revealed C7 nerve compression. My left arm was in horrible horrible pain and it was mostly in the Long Head of my left tricep. There was weakness. I did some generic physical therapy. No wrestling. Tried to let it heal. For the most part, I thought it did (sort of). During that time I also had a lumbar microdiscectomy so I was laid up anyway. Anyway, after I healed up from the lumbar discectomy I got back on the mat.

My neck has been sore but I feel like my left tricep has slightly atrophied and gotten weaker. I'm trying to get a new MRI asap.

Here's my question: when I had an EMG study done recently, the neurologist who did the test placed the pins in the Lateral Head of my triceps. He said the test revealed no weakness. I didn't think it was my place to explain to him that it was a different part of my triceps I was worried about as the order was for cervical radiculopathy and I assume he knows how to do his job better than I do. Do you guys think because the pins weren't placed in the Long Head that C7 nerve-related atrophy could have been missed?

I'm worried but I assume the man absolutely knows more about EMG studies than I do. He also said I am presenting Carpal Tunnel which I think is absolutely wrong but whatever. My arm feels like it's been falling asleep and I feel weaker in my tricep but there's no pain currently. However, a PT explained to me that even though I don't currently have pain, I could still be suffering from C7 nerve-related atrophy/weakness in that tricep and it should not go unchecked. I'm just wondering if the EMG test could have missed something.

Thanks!

Here's my question: when I had an EMG study done recently, the neurologist who did the test placed the pins in the Lateral Head of my triceps. He said the test revealed no weakness. I didn't think it was my place to explain to him that it was a different part of my triceps I was worried about as the order was for cervical radiculopathy and I assume he knows how to do his job better than I do. Do you guys think because the pins weren't placed in the Long Head that C7 nerve-related atrophy could have been missed?

I'm guessing they missed it on the tricep. I would assume if they were checking C7 that they would check all parts of the muscle.

I'm not an EMG expert but I have had one for my CTS. I am getting one for C5-7 this week or next so I'll let you know what he hooks up to for the Tricep.

I'm guessing they missed it on the tricep. I would assume if they were checking C7 that they would check all parts of the muscle.

I'm not an EMG expert but I have had one for my CTS. I am getting one for C5-7 this week or next so I'll let you know what he hooks up to for the Tricep.
Thank you; much appreciated. Would hate to think I blew it on the EMG. Insurance covered this so if I need to get another one, I'd have to pay out of pocket and I'm Sure they're very expensive.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws