over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chest Wont Grow

Yeltom

Newbies
I post this in the Beginners Forum, but I'm no beginner to working out. I've been lifting weights for approximately 14 years. Im 30 years old 5'11" and 220lbs at 13%bf.

Over the course of those years I've tried almost everything to grow my chest. I've alternated between barbell and dumbells, tried the german volume training, low reps, high reps, heavy weight, light weight, strict form, chest once per week, chest twice per week, etc...

My shoulders and arm have fast surpassed my chest. The upper part of my chest is okay, its the bottom and outside of my pecs I need work on and it appears genetics is not on my side. My current chest routine is this:

MON:
Chest
Dumbell bench 2 warmups @ 20 reps then 4 sets of 12, 10, 8, 6
Incline Dumbell 4 sets of 12, 10, 8, 6
Decline Bench 3 sets of 10, 8, 6
Flat Flies 3 sets of 10, 10, 10
Dips 3 sets to failure
I work BACK same day as chest.

TUE: Off (cardio)
WED: LEGS & SHOULDERS
THU: Off (cardio)
FRI: ARMS CALVES & ABS

My protein intake is high @ 250 - 300 grams/day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Way too much volume.. Try something with less volume like Big A's routine or DC training.. You will get stronger and your chest will grow..

You are over-training the everliving she-it out of your chest! No wonder why it wont grow. It would take me two weeks to fully recover from that workout. Less is more. Go DC or Max Hypertrophy (2-4 sets compound & 1-2 sets isolation for each body part, depending on the size of the muscle being worked).

Thanks guys. I really need to switch it up. Should I try the DC routine for all bodyparts? The volume is pretty much the same for all other muscle groups except legs.

Is this Big A's routine? It doesn't seem like my chest would get much of a workout. I'll give it a shot though.

Mon - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
* Incline press - warm-up sets, 1 work set
* Flat flyes - 1 work set
* Millitary press - 1 warm-up, 1 work set
* Lateral flyes - 1 work set
* Rear delt machine - 1 work set
* Tricep pushdowns - 1 warm-up, 1 work set
* Lying tricep extensions - 1 work-set

Wed - Quads, Hams, Calves
* Squats - warm-ups, 1 work set
* Leg press - work set
* Leg extension - work set
* Leg curl - warm-up, work set
* Stiff leg deadlift - work set
* Standing calf raise - work set

Fri - Abs, Back, Bis
* Rope crunches - warm up, work set
* Lat pull down - warm-ups, work set
* Deadlift - warm-up, work set
* Bent-over rows - work set
* Shrugs - work set
* Standing BB curls - warm up, work set
* Concentration curl - work set

Last edited:
Yes that is it. Trust me, if you do it correctly you will be surprised. Use a count such as 2-1-4-1. 2 second concentric, 1 second hold at contraction, 4 second negative, 1 second hold, repeat. Use deliberate, controlled movements and I bet you'll find that those 'few' sets go a lot further than you thought they would.

Pick three good compound exercises and work hard on those. three good sets for each and sometimes only two hard worling sets. if you have been training for fourteen years then you should know that more is not better. Your chest routine is not allowing time for recovery and growth.

Pick three good compound exercises and work hard on those. three good sets for each and sometimes only two hard worling sets. if you have been training for fourteen years then you should know that more is not better. Your chest routine is not allowing time for recovery and growth.

I played college football (linebacker) and most off season training were compound exercises at 5x5. e.g., Bench press; Cleans, and Squats. In the summer nearing the season the volume was increased and rest time was cut between working sets (similar to the routine I posted above). I was training for endurance then. Now I want size and shape.

I'll definitely take your advice. Thanks!

4 sets for chest?

mine wouldnt grow at 15 sets so droped it to 12 and its made a big differece

I think the problem was training back on the same day as chest. The back is a huge muscle group. I was surprised at the results that can be had when you train less. I was training like so many others out there. 5-6 days a week and spending over an hour at a time in the gym. I have been training with the less is more approach now for a year or so and what a difference it makes ! HIGH intensity MAX effort and no more than 1 hour per session. Basic heavy compound movements. Mon, Wed, Fri. Growth comes from getting enough rest.

I have recently got very good results from this routine:

Cable crossovers - 1 set to failure then with no rest straight to
Incline DB Press - 1 set to failure.
Weighted dips - 1 set, drop then weight then rep out on bodyweight
Then finish with FST-7 style blood flushing on whichever exercise gives your chest teh best pump based on structure. Do 7 sets of 10 with 30 sec. rest (start with 4-5 sets if 7 is too much)

Reduce volume on all other muscles so chest can recover and grow, stretch thoroughly after workout and practice posing the muscle to build mind muscle connection. Have BCAAs before during and after workout and before bed. Follow the rep speed protocol laid out in previous post 2-1-4-1. Spend 5 min. visualising chest workout beforehand, feel it growing and repeat to yourself during teh workout a growth phrase such as "bigger every workout" or "Pecs are thickening up every rep". Visualise your pecs growing before you go to sleep, say to yourself "when I wake, my chest will be thicker than yesterday" Beleive it, never say my chest cant or wont grow. Thoughts are real. Hope this helps. Leon Carlier:D

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131