over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Considering P90x.

Pekkerwood

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Have any of you guys completed 90 days with this exercise program? I am considering beginning this in place of my cardio work. I almost never take time for proper stretching, yoga, aerobics, ab classes, etc anymore. I have seen remarkable results.

I am also dead set against it, or at least I was. My very best friend for the last 30 years (we are currently business partners as well) is the quietest least intrusive person I know. He has mentioned this program to me at least five times. He wants me to do it. He has never asked anything of me. It goes against his very nature. As I'm dealing with him mentally, another friend and business partner I've known for thirty years comes into my office three different times and makes an appeal to me that is heartfelt. I don't know why. I think the problem is that they are doing it and losing weight and feeling better, and they don't really realize that my training does the same for me already. Part of the deal is that I have only lost about 15 to 20 lbs since my heart problem. They know I have a goal of losing down to 220 or 215and haven't done it.

I have spent more time with these people than my family and there is no doubt they have my best interests at heart even though I may not understand. This is what is making me waffle on the subject. I am lifting differently than my doctors orders. Although I do not lift "heavy" anymore compared to the way we train, I am lifting light years heavier than recommended. I realize I have gone beyond my self imposed limits, and think maybe if I take 90 days off and train only in the P90x manner it will be easier to maintain those limits as the strength will have decreased again to a less ego driven level.

For those of you not familiar, this workout is kicking the ass of some of my "fittest" friends. Not a bodybuilder in the bunch however. My best friend won an open club championship in a sport beating people he has no business beating, including wiping out the reigning club champion who had just beaten him 4 months ago in the finals of another tournament.

I do not want to lose all strength however. BTW these guys are getting stronger on the program, but I just don't see how pushups are going to make me stronger. I thought about supplementing with deads, squats, and dumbell presses once a week just to hold on to a little bit of strength.

Any advice and or opinions?

^It's no gimic, have you tried it?

I've read several opinions and logs of people using this on other forums and I still have not seen anyone that was disappointed with the results. Even the fittest gym-goer will be challenged because it incorporates so many different things, and most of them are things that are rarely, if ever done.

You'd be surprised how plyometrics and your own body weight can increase strength. Check out this video, nothing to do with P90X but this guy has some good size and is pretty ripped. He is using only his body weight and I guarantee it's not easy.

CLICK HERE

crap... if you are motivated in this direction try crossfit.

PW, my workout partner just completed something similar to this. My gym offers a "boot camp" class. 3 days a week of 1-hour non-stop running, kicking, lifting, jumping, you name it. Personally, my joints couldn't take what he has told me and at 41, he was one of the oldest in the class. After 3 months, his endurance and cardiovascular conditioning is greatly improved, and I am quite certain he could run circles around me. The trade-off has been that he has dropped body fat (very good) as well as quite a bit of muscle mass and his power is down while his endurance is up (could be viewed as good/bad, depending on how you look at it). I should point out, that he continued his weight-lifting regimen during this time, just at a lower intensity due to the increased demands on his body.

I do think that as we age more attention need to be paid to overall conditioning. Use it or lose it as they say. Also, I think benefits to the heart, BP and cholesterol profiles are something worth considering as well

Last edited:
I do think the overall approach with plyometrics, yoga, stretching, etc are things I've wanted to incorporate but don't just out of habit. I am prepared to lose some muscle and power, I just don't want to lose it all.

Brick, I primarily am considering this because of my age. My hip is going to certainly give me some trouble but I can modify things the best I can. For you younger guys, please understand that I am 48 and have been 265-280 for most of my adult life. I've never competed, and I can say without reservation, it was a mistake to live my life that large and if I could do it over again I would. My motivations are probably different than you guys still on your quest for continued growth. I am thinking more in quality of life terms which, for me, means downsizing.

I guess my mind was mostly made up, and I've placed this post here just to get an idea what to expect from someone who has been through it. I will start tonight and see how it progresses. My younger brother threw up his first two days, hopefully I will avoid that!

If that's what you need to get motivated then do it...

My cousin was a little chubby 220ish and cut down to 175lbs or so... cut.

Diet obviously plays a huge part (comes with a nutrition guide)

Personally, I tried it myself and quickly returned it... I need dumbbells, the rubber bands were not cutting it. And they offer a nice set of changeable ones for like $600 or so! But who wants to pay that?

Best of luck!

Everyone I know who's tried it says it kicks their butt - in a good way. I personally haven't tried it, but am intrigued by it and would like to see what it's all about.

I took a Fitness Bootcamp 4-week course last year before contest prep, and got a great workout out of it. Cross-fit works the same way; mix things up a little and you'll see some different results. Plus, I feel that full body workouts actually make you a more "fit" person - better cardiovascular and endurance.

If you decide to try it, let us know how it works for you and if you like it. :)

Im with anything that will put you into a repetitive routine that helps you reach your goals and gives you some inspiration.....whether its an infomercial or not....if you follow thru with it and accomplish the end result you want....thats a success to me.

Cross-Fit

I went to anew Cross-Fit gym CrosssFti Asylum on Saturday and got destroyed and loved it.
I 'vedecided to do it every Saturday for some variety. We did fun stuff like 50 pull-ups for time. 10 sets of 10 rep-225lbs deadlifts combined with 10 burpy push-ups again for time.
My entire posterior chain is still recovering from the deads. Kettle ball swings, ring dips, power-cleans, Turkish getups. I love the stuff and I know I will progress quickly as I continue.
Highly recommended!

My brother in law uses it and has lost alot of weight/gotten much fitter. Granted he was pretty out of shape when he started, but results are good.

I'm getting it for my wife after she gives birth to our third in Nov. She loves running and working out, but with a 1 1/2 year old AND a newborn, its going to be hard for her to get out of the house!

So thats going to be my "present" to her, the P90x and going to set up a really good gym area in the house for her

My brother in law also does it and he loves it.. He is a former marine, and throughout the years got completely out of shape. His wife's mother bought him the P90x vids and he has stuck with it. He says that it is brutal. This coming from someone who went through marine bootcamp.. He has totally changed his physique.. Went from weighing 250+ to around 215..

Depending on what you want out of it, it seems to be effective for helping you get out of a rut and get back in shape. He has been trying to get me to do it along with my weight training to see how I would do with it. I may take him up on it.. I will post the results..

Thanks for the feedback. I am aware that it comes with nutrition guide, however, my contract with Phil expired in April and I did not renew as I just spent about three weeks in Italy, and knew I would not follow through while on vacation. (I did not gain weight, but did lose fitness/muscle). I plan to renew with Phil if he is in agreement.

I am by no means unmotivated. I've been training religously for thirty years with few gaps. My training, however, has tended toward the body builder type training, rather than over all fitness, with stretching, explosive power, endurance. I spent most of my time "getting big" and getting strong. Because of the heart failure I experienced I was encouraged to first, lift not at all, and then, when they saw I was going to lift anyway, to lift differently. While I made some changes the fact is that my lifting is by no means considered "normal" for heart patients and I have a hard time dialing it back. I believe Maldorf can attest to that fact that it is difficult.

I feel like with a greater emphasis on stretching, yoga, and other fitness measurements I may can set myself up for better total fitness, albeit, at the expense of some hard earned muscle and overall size. It is incredibly hard to give up the thought of being "big" for being "fit", but it is time.

Thanks again for all your inputs, I feel a little strange needing to put this out there instead of just doing it, but that shows you the struggle we set ourselves up for with this type lifestyle. When is enough, enough? Its difficult to say the least.

BTW part of this is precipatated by my Cardiologist visit next week, where I have a bad feeling my lifting is going to show on my test results on the echo. I have been getting some small tell-tale signs that may just be in my head. I may be "pre-punishing" myself for my training indiscretions.:)

Alot of guys in my unit are doing it, and most of them have begun to get that marathon runner look. If you are cool with that, than by all means, go for it. I TRULY believe there is a better way to get in shape, actually, there are several better ways, but if it makes you happy...

Gyno: I will never achieve that "marathoner" look, :). And no, it would not make me happy to look like that. I have walked around a good bit of my life at 280 but mostly at 265 at 6'2. I guess its where you start from. I am currently thinking about supplementing some power movements with this program. I will cease cardio, other than dog walking.

Again please understand that I've made the decision that I need to be lighter to give my heart a break with its work load. I have a compromised heart function that has led me to this point. There is no doubt in my mind that 225 or 215 is a healthier option for me. With that said, I've never been to that weight in years. My last cutting phase I stopped at about 235 I believe and said that was enough and that was at least 6 to 7 years ago.

Thanks again for the input.

P 90X is the shit!!

After lifting and working hard in the gym for several years I developed tendinitis in my forearms my shoulder joints were sore my knees were killing me and I was starting to get over trained more often all the time. I decided to do the p90X program and suddenly realized how out of shape I was even after training so hard for so long. Its not a gimmick and its no joke. I spent 3 years in the 82nd ARBN Div. running and training all the time and did not get as functionally strong and well rounded as I did doing the P90X. I also dropped 30 pounds and that was fine with me. My strength went up if you look at what true strength is and I all around felt better. This is a tough program though and if your used to doing a set and taking a long cell phone break like a lot of sissy's in the gym your not ready for this program. Its hard and intense and you should all try something like it in my opinion!!

I have to say my brother in law is far from the marathoner look... He has added alot of muscle and is very lean. However, I told him he needs to join a gym and start training with weights again..

Yeah like I said he is a former marine and he said that the workout is insanely tough. I am seriously thinking about giving it a try to see what it would do for me.. Plus its always good to change things up and keep your body guessing.. If I definitely decide to do it I will post my results and possibly pics.. :)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131