over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Don't Bench?

terrellopy

Registered
Hey guys, I tried searching and couldn't find anything. I was just curious to see if there was anyone else out there who doesn't do the traditional barbell bench and opts for dumbells instead, whether because of injuries, preference, etc.

I have strayed away from barbell benching because it doesn't suit me. I prefer dumbells for better ROM and maximum fibers stimulated which happens to suit me.

How about yall?

It's dumbell inclines, declines and dips for me. I have a repaired AC joint and flat barbell bench kills.

If you bench heavy don't flat bench. Do a more PL lift (arched back, chest out, shoulders presed back) and chances are you won't get injured

not me

incline dumbell, pullovers and dips

Only Db flat and incline with PL form for me. I do a lot of overhead work so traditional barbell benching aggravates my shoulders more than I care for because of the ROM.

if your gonna do bench from my experience take a lil bit wider grip than shoulders and keep your shoulders pinched back the entire time and most the time i dont go all the way up i go about 1/2-1 inch from chest then go up about 1/2-3/4 the way.

The only time I bench is when I lift with somebody I know so they will spot me correctly. Most times I do DB press on flat and alternate between incline and decline DB to keep things fresh. This year I know there was a solid two month span where I did not do bench for chest day.

Man when chest day came I was in heaven cause I used to love to bench and bench heavy, that is probably why I had surgery on both shoulders. I mainly do DB presses for chest, will throw in barbell every once in awhile.

all of these replies suit me, thanks for the inputs

Guess I am in the Minority here

Personally I love bench presses. While I also like dips and dumbells, NOTHING gets me more fired up for chest developement then good old barbell bench presses. I like them hard and heavy but always (and many a client) follow the following rules on them.

1. Always warm up properly. That means if your last set consist of 315 for 6 reps as an example - warm up with say 135 for 10, 185 for 8, 205 for 6, 225 for say 4 and keep the reps low till you get to a work weight. Otherwise you will be fatiqued when you get there and lose form.
2. I stop the bar a fist or so above the chest. This is especially important for long armed trainers.
3. Keep the elbows back a bit and a slightly wider than normal grip
4.wrap your lats aroud the bench
5.Make sure that the bar isn't descending too high - should be nipple line not neck.
6. Don't go for singles and doubles on a regular basis
7. Have a good spotter on hand.

20 years of training and never had any serious problems following this protocol. Benches rule - Just ask Arnold.:D

hey i agree with ya animal eater. Theoretically you can still get awesome pectoral development from DB's right. As of late, dumbells have particularly suited me!

i dont do flat bb bench, but i do however do incline bb, but mostly stick to db bench, way better range of motion, able to sqeeze more, etc.

For me Dumbbell flat bench, Dumbbell flat bench flyes, Smith Incline, Seated Chest Presses:

This is a similar range of motion to the standard flat-bench press, except you are in a seated position. The benefit of this machine is that the weight is not bobbling around during the motion; it is stabilized and therefore works strictly the pectoral muscles. Grasping the handles, slowly extend your arms forward, straightening the elbows and squeezing the chest muscles. Do not lock your elbows at the height of extension. Rather, slowly let the weight pull your arms in toward your chest. Concentrate on the negative, allowing it to tear the pec muscles. At a point where your hands stretch back to the plane of your body, begin your next repetition. Try 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps for a great pump.

hey alfresco, i appreciate the link brother.

Also guys, when you do DB bench, do yall ever go really heavy like 4-5 reps per set? I've been doing it lately and I've seem some drastic improvements strength-wise.

It might not be the norm-but sometimes when I have a shitty day I'll go to the gym and go apeshit on the DB presses. Like 8 sets of heavy ass triples. This method has suited me for short term results.

I rarely do flat barbell bench anymore. DB's usually or hammer strength for bench, always do incline (I like the way it hits the upper chest more) but on inclines i never let the bar touch my chest, i always stop 1-2inches from my chest. I guess i dont flat bench cause I'm not in high school and i dont care about my "max" LOL

db is good

terrellopy

You spoke for me and why I do db for chest. Weighted dips and pull overs are nice as well. Plus its faster than the smith machine and I can do 3 - 4 rep sets wo a spotter. I also read studies about db simulating more muscle fibers.

I also find that my left pec is a little bit smaller and weaker than my right, and I find that BB bench just perpetuates this imbalance no matter how much I try to even it out. This is a situation that does not suit me. It is a problem and I will do something to it.

I also find that my left pec is a little bit smaller and weaker than my right, and I find that BB bench just perpetuates this imbalance no matter how much I try to even it out. This is a situation that does not suit me. It is a problem and I will do something to it.

terrellopy your on the $. Barbell won't help any imbalances between the muscles/right and left side. Yet, dumb bells well allow each side/muscle to work independently.
Some will do extra sets for the lacking muscle. I myself don't.
Let's not forget with db we can do floor presses for reduced ROM and to a limited degree we can do a quasi negative rep. True you have to be able to do the positive movement but you can do the negative range as slow as possible. Let's not leave out Running the rack!!!
Db also develop stabilizing muscles as well.

I wonder about kettlebells?/kettleballs?
But that's a different topic.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbmike99