over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

elevated psa during trt

kpumpin

Registered
Im 38 and am in the middle of switching urologists due to his retirement. I dont have an appointment for three more months with the new guy so I had my family doc draw some labs for me. My PSA came back at 5.0.

I am on 200mg per week cyp that usually puts me just out of normal range but he went by how i was feeling. Im pretty concerned about this number. I have been on trt for about 2 years. Anyone else have their PSA jump this high and if so, what was the course of action?

Thanks

Question?

Did you follow all the lab guidelines such as no ejaculation/sex with 24 hours of the test? I think it is 24 hours anyway. Some things can cause false positive. Also, prostatitis can be a bacterial thing as well. At 38 prostate cancer is not very common. I just went through this several months ago. I started taking a saw palmetto complex, which does seem to help. I was also on antibiotics for 30 days. Prostate is golden now!

Are your PSA labs consistently this high? I have been on doc supervised TRT for 6 years and mine have never been over 0.4. I do use saw palmetto sometimes, but I do also eat a diet rich in tomato products. I just like the taste. Here's an interesting study about lycopene in tomatoes. Might be worth a shot

Role of lycopene and tomato products in prostate health.
Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis M, Bowen PE.

Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1919 West Taylor St. Chicago, IL 60612, USA. [email protected]
Epidemiological evidence associating the decreased risk of prostate cancer with frequent consumption of tomato products inspired us to conduct a small intervention trial among patients diagnosed with prostate adenocarcinoma. Tomato sauce pasta was consumed daily for 3 weeks before their scheduled prostatectomy, and biomarkers of tomato intake, prostate cancer progression and oxidative DNA damage were followed in blood and the available prostate tissue. The whole food intervention was so well accepted by the subjects that the blood lycopene (the primary carotenoid in tomatoes responsible for their red color) doubled and the prostate lycopene concentration tripled during this short period. Oxidative DNA damage in leukocytes and prostate tissues was significantly diminished, the latter mainly in the tumor cell nuclei, possibly due to the antioxidant properties of lycopene. Quite surprising was the decrease in blood prostate-specific antigen, which was explained by the increase in apoptotic death of prostate cells, especially in carcinoma regions. Prostate cancer cell cultures (LNCaP) were also sensitive to lycopene in growth medium, which caused an increased apoptosis and arrested the cell cycle. A possible explanation of these promising results may reside in lycopene effects on the genes governing the androgen stimulation of prostate growth, cytokines and on the enzymes producing reactive oxygen species, all of which were recently discovered by nutrigenomic techniques. Other phytochemicals in tomato may act in synergy with lycopene to potentiate protective effects and to help in the maintenance of prostate health.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I didnt follow the lab protocol because i didnt really think about him drawing for the psa. I was really just wanting hematocrit and hemoglobin. So i cant remember if i ejaculated or not. Its not usually this high. I think it was 2.8 before I started trt.

Yeah Brick, I think I remember DC talking about the lycopene and prostate before.

Im 38 and am in the middle of switching urologists due to his retirement. I dont have an appointment for three more months with the new guy so I had my family doc draw some labs for me. My PSA came back at 5.0.

I am on 200mg per week cyp that usually puts me just out of normal range but he went by how i was feeling. Im pretty concerned about this number. I have been on trt for about 2 years. Anyone else have their PSA jump this high and if so, what was the course of action?

Thanks
I have been on test cyp 200mg/wk for years and my PSA is 1.7 I am also 49. Have you checked your estrogen levels? I believe estrogen is more responsible for raising PSA the test. I take an anti-e occasionally to keep estrogen in check.

Oddly enough large amounts of caffiene have been shown to enlarge the prostate and throw tests off a little.

PSA

I have been on trt for about 6 yrs and my PSA has never gone over .4 i don't think trt is a problem. Did your PSA suddenly go up? A sudden jump may be cause for concern.

I dont consume any caffiene. Also, my doc didnt draw PSA in the visit before last and during the last visit only talked to me about retiring and gave me the info for the new doc. Visits are every six months so its been a while since its been drawn. Im not on anything for E but i bet that could be the culprit.

My question is would a PSA this high be a reason to be very concerned at the moment? For example should I try to get my family doc to get my urologist appointment moved up? Its not for two months. Also, what else besides estrogen should I bring up at the appointment? I felt like crap before trt now im afraid they will look at the T as being totally responsible and cut it down or out.

I dont consume any caffiene. Also, my doc didnt draw PSA in the visit before last and during the last visit only talked to me about retiring and gave me the info for the new doc. Visits are every six months so its been a while since its been drawn. Im not on anything for E but i bet that could be the culprit.

My question is would a PSA this high be a reason to be very concerned at the moment? For example should I try to get my family doc to get my urologist appointment moved up? Its not for two months. Also, what else besides estrogen should I bring up at the appointment? I felt like crap before trt now im afraid they will look at the T as being totally responsible and cut it down or out.
If your doc is not up on his trt and don't be surprised if he is not, he might want to lower or cut you off to see if it lowers. Like everyone said there are a lot of reasons why it could have gone so high so don't panic. Have your estrogen levels checked or better yet a complete hormone profile. Do your homework as to why a level can raise and go to the doc educated. Lots of good information on the net, check out the New England Journal of Medicine. One of the biggest reason why I am on trt is my belief in keeping the prostate healthy. Good luck.

I would certainly push to see the urologist soon. He/She may do another PSA, put you on antibiotics and test again or even do a biopsy. It's better to be safe. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer late 2002 (All appears OK for now) so I have a bit of experience with the problem. Most urologists will tell you that only a couple things cause the PSA to rise. Swelling/growth/inflammation that can be caused by many things or cancer.

Yes you should be concerned. Get the appointment moved up and find out whats wrong. The prostate is no joke and one of the leading killers of men when gone undiagnosed is postate cancer.Dont be scared, just be aware and proactive in your prostate health.Good luck bro.

A 5.0 would certainly give me cause for concern! In my case, a 3.0 was enough for my Uro to do a biopsy. Not something to speculate on IMO.

Thanks for the replies. Ill try to get my family doc to contact the urologist and get the appt moved up. Trying not to think about the test but its freakin me out a little bit.

Thanks

Perhaps a re-check is in order for a peice of mind,,,and a second opinion never hurts.

Perhaps a re-check is in order for a peice of mind,,,and a second opinion never hurts.

Yeah im going to have family doc draw another this week even before I see the urologist just to see if there were any other factors that influenced the score.

if mine came back that high i wouldnt let it go thats for sure

On TRT my PSA is usually .2 or .3, I just checked the last four tests.

Make sure you test your estrogen levels too. That very well may be elevating your PSA. If this new doc of yours won't be into that or prescribing some anastrozole, perhaps you should just fork out the $50 and get the estradiol test yourself, buy it online and go to labcorp. (LEF.org, privatemdlabs, etc. do these tests). You could also get your PSA checked again. This way you know more of what's going on before you see this doc. If the doc isn't up on the TRT protocols he might just stop scripting you test thinking this will help. It may be what you need but if the solutions is as simple as some anastrozole, stopping test all together would be a drastic and unnecessary move.

Either way, don't ignore your prostate. However, some guys have higher PSA's than others. It might be nothing. Don't lose sleep over it unless there is a reason to.

OK, here is the update. I called the family doc back and told them i was concerned and wanted them to try to move the appointment up. They called me back and said that the urologist said I could wait the two months until the scheduled appoint it was only 5.7 not in the eighties or anything. So the 5.7 is even higher than what they told me over the phone the last time. This urologist is supposed to be the best around. Im not sure what to do at this point.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131