Encounter with "one of those" high school students-

JETHRO TULL

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member / Verified Custo
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Setting the scene-

It's second period U.S. History class with juniors. I've got about 27 students in the room who I've known since they were freshman. A good bunch of kids with one exception. His name is Jesse, he's a speech and drama kid and is pretty bright. The thing is he usually has some of the facts and makes up the rest and then continues to bullshit, hoping to impress his classmates.

Sometimes his little diatribes can go on until I am sort of in a trance, catching myself thinking about my next meal or something! I don't want to crush his spirit or diminish his enthusiasm to participate in classroom discussions, so I don't say a lot even though most of the kids have started to realize Jesse is full of shit.

Example? Well, we were talking about Texas Independence, the Battle of the Alamo, etc. This discussion led to the illegal immigration situation. At this point "Jesse, the speech and drama guy" comes up with how the Mexicans are not only going to get California back but Montana as well. The kids were all looking at each other like, WTF??! At one point I said, Jesse, you may have some facts skewed a little there but if you can find some proof of what you're saying, please share it with us tomorrow.

Anyway, it's shit like this on a regular basis. Jesse looks like he could be the lead singer for any 70's rock band. He's pasty white, some what stocky, but has decided not to compete in sports after he found out wrestling practice is difficult. He's got potential, he'd just rather talk about it, than do it.

Today he asks me in front of the class if I ever thought about changing my hair style. He said you've always got it short and you sort of look like Elvis Presley. That shit came out of nowhere!

As I mentioned earlier, Jesse could be the lead singer for that old band Creedence Clearwater Revival- "Bad Moon on the Rising". His hair is long and greasy and hangs in his eyes. He also wears glasses. Believe me when I say he's not getting laid until he's graduated from college and some woman is willing to marry ANYONE! He's not particularily clean either.

Once again the whole class looked at me and rolled there eyes. They aren't outright giving him shit anymore because I've discouraged that, but WE all want to tell him to just shut the fuck up.

I asked him, Are YOU really giving me shit about my hair? I said, why don't we take a class vote on who needs the most help with their hair? lol.

His response, "What's wrong with my hair?" The whole class cracked up laughing.

He's going to be one of those annoying bastards who keep talking at meetings on the job, while all his co-workers are secretly plotting his death!

Sometimes, I feel like a bad person. It's tough being the adult sometimes guys. :)

It's moments like this when you can accurately predict the future for a person in glamorous detail. Pretty sad at the same time, you know? lol. The inevitabiltiy of it all!

I think you owe it to yourself, yours students, and him to speak up on this and handle it. Hes going to get himself hurt with that attitude eventually. He doesnt seem like he is all there. He needs to learn what is acceptable and what is not when addressing people. If alot of what he has to say is seemingly made up and untrue, you need to address that fast. He cant go on believing that you all believe his shit and continue on that road. In the long run you will be helping him. Once compulsive lieing and making shit up becomes a habit he will start to believe his own stories. I know YOU are the experienced one as far as handling students and it has been your job for a long time.....but i cant agree with how you are currently handling the situation. It probably should be delt with

I give teachers all the credit in the world...I dont know how you put up with some of the garbage I witnessed through school and here about today...

two words.... pepper spray :D

seriously JT, I admire your patience in dealing with know-it-all's still in their diapers like this guy

It cracks me up when he's gone, because the class goes off ragging on him!

The other students will be sitting there doing there work and we'll start shooting the shit. [ I have a lot of fun usually] The kids will say stuff like, "Wow I am glad that stupid ass is gone today." We all laugh. I just tell them, "Yeah, but let's not be too mean to him because he's going to have a tough enough time in life as it is."

Now keep in mind these are reservation kids who fight all the time. Jesse is a white kid who doesn't have enough sense to keep his big mouth shut. So it's amazing he's survived this long! lol.

Sometimes he'll start up with one of his long winded answers and one of the kids will just say, "Shut up, Valdivinos". One of the girls even told him the other day "You are a weirdo." Again, I could not argue and I started laughing along with the group. If I don't jump in pretty quickly the whole class would be giving this guy shit.

I told him, "Jesse, you know you bring this on yourself with all of your bullshit." I am smiling when I tell him stuff like that, and I think he gets the point, but just doesn't care. He wears T-shirts with "clever" sayings on them such as the one he wore on wednesday. It was a pink T-shirt with the words in black letters-"DON'T LAUGH THIS IS YOUR GIRLFRIENDS SHIRT"....another he wears says..."THIS IS THE SOUND OF NO ONE LISTENING TO YOU".

He's sort of an annoying dude. He did get third place in a big speech and drama meet for "extemporaneous/impromptu" or something along those lines. Which basically means the officials give a student some random topic and then they have to give a speech on the subject.

Well, as you can see he gets rewarded for his ability to go on and on with very little expertise. He'll probably become a U.S. senator.

man you are awesome jt! i really like how you dont want to break his spirit. i think that is important because all it takes is something like that to really discourage a kid and he could start making really bad decisions. kids are searching for their identity at this age and will go through different stages.
it does'nt sound like the kid is dangerous or anything so kudos to you for your patience. 2pfu should be a professional wrestler, lol! " he should be dealt with!"

I was an outcast like that but my facts where always right.
History class in HS was the only class I liked.

It's moments like this when you can accurately predict the future for a person in glamorous detail. Pretty sad at the same time, you know? lol. The inevitabiltiy of it all!

If as you stated he's indeed "pretty bright", he may very well look at himself in a not so distant future and realize what an arrogant prick he used to be in his teen years... then decide it's time to show others a better version of his stupid ass.

That's at least the privilege of those who've got brains... they can make an attempt to change cause they are well aware of their flaws... ;)

Well agree on some parts. Don’t ridicule the kid for being different. I think Public and Private schools teach too much conformity. It is ok to have an idea that how they want to look and dress is ok, even if it goes against what is “popular” IMO. No doubt illegal immigration is a BIG problem in the US and especially in the South and West. I would encourage him to continue to think for himself, but challenge him to come with evidence if he is going to comment on something others may view as a little radical.
Just my .02

Yes, it's definitely better with him in the class most of the time!

He keeps things interesting that's for sure. It's just the personal attacks that he blurts out once in a while towards others. It's like he is unaware of how others view him.

I also think he feels safe to share his opinions in my classroom since I don't let people rain on his parade too much. :)

Yeah, I didnt comment on that. I would defintely sit him down and ask whats up with the personal attacks. That is wrong and shows disrespect.

JT

He'll probably become a U.S. senator.

Your probably right. It just takes a good line of bullshit.
Also, a bunch of people who don't know anything, so they'll fall for anything

youre getting me excited to start teaching in the fall, haha.

should be some interesting time ahead.

sounds like you handle it very well though, good luck with him :)

you know those outcast kids are the ones that bring guns too school and start shooting the other students.I have 2 boys myself and that kind of crap scares me man.:(

Exactly.

you know those outcast kids are the ones that bring guns too school and start shooting the other students.I have 2 boys myself and that kind of crap scares me man.:(

Trust me, it scares me too. Where I work I believe it all a matter of when it happens, not if it will happen. I get along really well with most of the kids, but man it can happen to anyone even if you have the best of intentions.

I am taking all the precautions I can.

He keeps things interesting that's for sure. It's just the personal attacks that he blurts out once in a while towards others. It's like he is unaware of how others view him.

I also think he feels safe to share his opinions in my classroom since I don't let people rain on his parade too much. :)
Just tell him you are going to make a biology experiment out of his hair, everyone wants to know what lives in it!!! Ask him if he has washed his hair since the exxon valdes'??

I hear ys JT, I once was actually paid by a local high school to go and lecture the year 11 and 12 students on personal appearance and hygiene!! That's right they paid me as consultant to go and speak to them. I was there for almost the entire school day and talked to each individual class. It was funny as I just spoke to them like I would to any member of my gym about smelling like a pole cat and looking like a park dweller. HAHAHA the shit was funny as some of the kids actually come to mt gym anyway. I had parents from the school coming into my gym to thank me and ask me what the fuck I said to their children!!! Bro I say hit them between the eyes, when thye make it personal the gloves come off!!!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131