mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Getting ridiculously hungry at night... what do you do?

Let me ask you guys this, though... what do you do about sleep eating? I swear to god sometimes I wake up mid-bite with a fork in my mouth. Jesus h. christ how are you supposed to avoid that?

to answer my own post, check out what I found:
"Sleep Eating
Sleep researchers consider nocturnal eating both an eating disorder and a sleep disorder. In cases of sleep eating, the person usually doesn't remember eating during the night but finds evidence, including missing food, dirty dishes and a complete lack of hunger, the next morning.

Untreated sleep eating can lead to major weight gain, depression and feelings of guilt and shame. Because the person is asleep and lacks good coordination and balance, sleep eating can also lead to falls and other injuries.

Sleep eaters, most often people who are dieting and/or are under a lot of stress, will often consume large amounts of food that they usually would not eat. For example, during the day, a dieter may abstain from sweets and high-carbohydrate or high-fat foods. While asleep, however, they will eat things like cake or potato chips.

They may also eat unusual food combinations, such as hot dogs smeared with butter or potato chips dipped in peanut butter. They may even eat non-food items like soap."

I haven't been chowing down on any soap yet thank god. And maybe I could get a refrigerator alarm? Sirens going off at 4 am when I'm stalking the refrigerator with a fork and some ketchup would be a classic picture.

LBAs work nicely for me because they are very convenient and are enough to take away any hunger pains i might have...if they are severe enough to keep me from going back to sleep...not to mention its giving you body some high quality protein it most likely is in need of.

Another suggestion would be to drink a big glass of water...possibly you are a little dehydrated which can cause hunger...just like the LBAs it might be enough to take away the feeling so you can go back to sleep...which I believe is the point of this thread right?

...just like the LBAs it might be enough to take away the feeling so you can go back to sleep...which I believe is the point of this thread right?

yeah that's right, that's the point of the thread. Trying to sleep with or without hunger pangs, yes... depending on who's advice I'm taking (Phil's, bigmatt's, yours, etc).

Exactly.............keeping a protein shake by your bed.....childish. Starving and getting lean and being a real man and sleeping............priceless.

Don't you preach listening to your body? wouldn't being woken from a sleep with hunger pains be your body telling you something? I am being serious.

yeah that's right, that's the point of the thread. Trying to sleep with or without hunger pangs, yes... depending on who's advice I'm taking (Phil's, bigmatt's, yours, etc).

Based on the pictures you have posted...I would follow Phil and Tonys advice and grow a pair.

I think the word "dieting" gets thrown around too much...I am always dieting but as my goals change so does the way i do things.

Don't you preach listening to your body? wouldn't being woken from a sleep with hunger pains be your body telling you something? I am being serious.

I am not speaking for Phil but sometimes you have to do things your body doesnt like or want to get the job done.

I am not speaking for Phil but sometimes you have to do things your body doesnt like or want to get the job done.

true,
I just reread the post.If he is strictly cutting or precontest and eaten all his food for the day, than yeah gotta man up and deal.If he is just eating clean and trying to gain or maintain and is being kept up at night, then i don't see why a little protein in the night would hurt? true Sagaboy dieting could mean many things.

Last edited:
Well

Every client is different......I will not know what to do for a client until i see how they react to things.........in this case he needs to stay in nbed.

Every client is different......I will not know what to do for a client until i see how they react to things.........in this case he needs to stay in nbed.

And probably based on goals too? i got it.

Let me ask you guys this, though... what do you do about sleep eating? I swear to god sometimes I wake up mid-bite with a fork in my mouth. Jesus h. christ how are you supposed to avoid that?

do you seriously sleep eat LOL i have literally never done that ever but i have seen it happen.. i thought he was just awake and didnt think i would catch him cheating on his diet lol

honestly dieting doesnt bug me bulking does i LIKE dieting so the hunger is a good thing lol usually means its working hehe

do you seriously sleep eat LOL i have literally never done that ever but i have seen it happen.. i thought he was just awake and didnt think i would catch him cheating on his diet lol

honestly dieting doesnt bug me bulking does i LIKE dieting so the hunger is a good thing lol usually means its working hehe

Actually I do sleep eat. It really bugs me, too, when I wake up in the middle of the kitchen after having something. I wouldn't have believed it, either. But, the proof is in the pudding ;)

I wake up hungry in the middle of the night too sometimes, but never to the point where I'd ever think about getting outta bed to go eat something.. I'd much rather just fall back asleep.. And as someone said, what usually happens is when you finally wake up in the morning, you won't be hungry anymore.. If you really experience "sleep eating", literally not realizing that you've gotten up to eat something, I'd talk to a Dr. about that one.. Who knows what else you may be doing walking around subconsciously, lol..

6 months ago I would have said bullshit to the sleep eating thing , hell six weeks ago I would have said that , but I know for a fact that it happens , I woke up a while back sick as hell with cramps and nausia , after dry heaving my guts up and using half a role of toilet paper tying to sooth my butt I went into the kitchen for some Pepto and found an empty hotdog pack and an empy oreo cookie package (it was already 1/3 gone) I went in and asked the wife if she had left that out and said no , I went in and wasked out my mouth to find "oreo evidence"

I sleep very lighty almost everything wakes my up and the last few weeks its been worse than normal and waking up a couple times a night to pee diden't help but I'm fully aware every time I wake up and pe or whatever this time I had no recolection of waking at all , now it could have been caused from both hunger and sleep deprovation but either way if you are waking up and doing things your not aware of then theirs a problem that needs to be addressed. I've heard stories about people that do this for years and never believe its true till they are cought on film by a camera that not even hiden !!

This is certainly a sport that takes alot of mental stamina and controle and that exactly why not everybody looks like a body builder. At the same time we can let our quest get us in trouble , we have to know when we are pushing the limits of our health or it could all be in vain , being super stong willed is great and will carry you far but being hard headed and stupid will get you killed.
Kinda like the old saying about the fine line between bravery and stupidity

"you dive on a grenade and it saves your crew you are a brave hero , but if you dive on a grenade to save your crew and it doesn't go off you are a dumb ass !!

if you get up in Heavy Hunger during sleeping, you can have Diabete Type 2.

Poor insulin sensitivity(Insulin resistance).

People SHOULD NOT wake up during sleep, it is not normal. Plus it break the GH cycle that you get during sleep = No good

In fact you should sleep for 8 Straight hours without having to wake up, theres something not normal.

Last edited:
I would roll back over and go to sleep. This is a man's sport filled with uncomforts and suffering. If you want it bad enough suck it up, roll over and go back to sleep. There is a reason everyone doesn't look like a bodybuilder, it's tough, takes guts and discipline. If you want it bad enough you will conquer and prevail over all obstacles, if you don't well you can dust off that old 10 speed of yours and start riding a mile or two on Saturdays.

Aeliop, you hit the nail on the head. I did my first show in 2002, and I had this problem the last 7 weeks of my prep. I would get hungry, but I wasn't about to jeopardize what I had done. I had a rough time sleeping, but not because of hunger, just because I couldn't sleep. I would find myself out on the couch the last 2 hours of the night before it was time to wake and do cardio. The most I would do, is sip a little bit of water and then hit the rack. I wrestled for 10 years and played football for 7 years, and prepping for a bodybuilding show, hardest thing I have ever done.

I would roll back over and go to sleep. This is a man's sport filled with uncomforts and suffering. If you want it bad enough suck it up, roll over and go back to sleep. There is a reason everyone doesn't look like a bodybuilder, it's tough, takes guts and discipline. If you want it bad enough you will conquer and prevail over all obstacles, if you don't well you can dust off that old 10 speed of yours and start riding a mile or two on Saturdays.

I have very poor self control.. and a very addictive personality...Ill tell myself, no dont eat that, you wanna flat stomach dont you? and within 1 minute im eating something i shouldnt... It sucks.. but i know what tony said couldnt be more right.. and i too will keep fighting it..i may be losing now.. but if i keep at it, ill win

I've never experienced "sleep eating".

If you say it happens, I guess I believe you. When I was young I used to sleep walk sometimes and talk to my parents. So I guess anything is possible.

My question is: Why do you have anything junky in the house? Leave a plate full of chicken breasts and some pickles in the fridge, then sleep easy knowing everything is going to be just fine.

I'll bet the sleep eating ends. ;) :)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Nightprowler7
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner