over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Great way to increase your squat

myosin

Kilo Klub Member
I know that many of us are aware of "weak points" when it comes to different lifts, as well as the different movements to overcome these area's. It's an old but true saying, "You are only as strong as your weakest link."

When it comes to squats, like many other movements, there are a few area's that one could be weak in. However, I would argue that the majority of us might suffer from a common "weak link." Even if you aren't, if you improve this area your squat will only get better.

Build your soleus muscle. Yes, the gastrocnemius is important, but the soleus is key.

At the bottom part of your squat, what is preventing you from falling over? Your soleus muscle. Where does the beginning of your drive come from? Your soleus muscle (and the ankle/foot joint). The SAID principle stands for Specific Adaptation to an Imposed Demand. So, we need to place ourselves in that bottom position and develop the soleus through seated calf raises. I'm sure many of do standing calf raises (which focus on the gastroc) but not many do seated calf raises.

One more thing. Perform your seated calf raises bare/stocking foot! With your shoes on, this allows leverage due to the stiffness of the shoe sole itself. However, in your bare/stocking feet all the muscles in the foot are involved (which will strengthen the ankle/foot joint) as well as the soleus. This only improves your stability and driving force from the bottom position.

1) Seated calf raises
2) Bare/stocking footed

I know that many of us are aware of "weak points" when it comes to different lifts, as well as the different movements to overcome these area's. It's an old but true saying, "You are only as strong as your weakest link."

When it comes to squats, like many other movements, there are a few area's that one could be weak in. However, I would argue that the majority of us might suffer from a common "weak link." Even if you aren't, if you improve this area your squat will only get better.

Build your soleus muscle. Yes, the gastrocnemius is important, but the soleus is key.

At the bottom part of your squat, what is preventing you from falling over? Your soleus muscle. Where does the beginning of your drive come from? Your soleus muscle (and the ankle/foot joint). The SAID principle stands for Specific Adaptation to an Imposed Demand. So, we need to place ourselves in that bottom position and develop the soleus through seated calf raises. I'm sure many of do standing calf raises (which focus on the gastroc) but not many do seated calf raises.

One more thing. Perform your seated calf raises bare/stocking foot! With your shoes on, this allows leverage due to the stiffness of the shoe sole itself. However, in your bare/stocking feet all the muscles in the foot are involved (which will strengthen the ankle/foot joint) as well as the soleus. This only improves your stability and driving force from the bottom position.

1) Seated calf raises
2) Bare/stocking footed

Im working with a guy right now whos number #1 focus is to increase squat poundage and leg girth. will certainly experiment with your ideas.

I have been pondering squatting with no shoes on, and now that you mention working calves with no shoes on, I'm going to do that also.

i increase my squat by putting more plates on the bar:p ;)

this is great. I have increased my squat by making it a goal to add at least 10lbs every squat day. Today i hit 455lbs for 6 reps, next time either i do 8 reps with the same weight or add 20lbs to the total weight and do less reps. this progressive overloading (Doggcrapp idea) has worked wonders in terms of strength, however i will deffs apply your ideas into my workout aswell since i never ever ever do calves and maybe that is a reason i haven't put on that much weight on the bar lately.

im doing calvs 2 times every 5 days. 1 day is standing and 1 day is seated. my squat is by far my worst lift and id like to get it up. and ideas?

im doing calvs 2 times every 5 days. 1 day is standing and 1 day is seated. my squat is by far my worst lift and id like to get it up. and ideas?

Bro,
Don't let your mind limit you. When you want it bad enough you will get it. Now I dont mean be crazy and injure yourself but I know for a fact that my mind has limited me in the past. I think of leg workouts as the limiting factor to what my size gains will be, so basically if I puss out on my legs and half ass the squats the rest of my body will be half ass too no matter how hard I train it. If you don't step out of your comfort zone your gains will be limited. It is true that if you get stronger on squats you will get stronger on everything else. It has worked for me.

Not much but hope it motivates you at least!

I agree 100%

Bro,
Don't let your mind limit you. When you want it bad enough you will get it. Now I dont mean be crazy and injure yourself but I know for a fact that my mind has limited me in the past. I think of leg workouts as the limiting factor to what my size gains will be, so basically if I puss out on my legs and half ass the squats the rest of my body will be half ass too no matter how hard I train it. If you don't step out of your comfort zone your gains will be limited. It is true that if you get stronger on squats you will get stronger on everything else. It has worked for me.

Not much but hope it motivates you at least!

In my experience this is absolutely the truth :D :D

for me at least i dont think thats really my issue. when i go to squat keep in mind that my legs are a good 6 years of training behind my upper body due to an old knee injury that has healed as of about 2 years ago. the intensity and drive factor are there. im starting to think that its just going to be time from here on. lets put it this way...my decline bench is 405 for 6 and my squat is 225 for 7, deads are 455 for 6...its just those damn squats. if i put another 10 lbs on the bar and go to squat i can barely get 5 out and i just cant figure it out. hope this is enough info to work with. lol i also emailed phil so im POSITIVE hell know whats going on.

for me at least i dont think thats really my issue. when i go to squat keep in mind that my legs are a good 6 years of training behind my upper body due to an old knee injury that has healed as of about 2 years ago. the intensity and drive factor are there. im starting to think that its just going to be time from here on. lets put it this way...my decline bench is 405 for 6 and my squat is 225 for 7, deads are 455 for 6...its just those damn squats. if i put another 10 lbs on the bar and go to squat i can barely get 5 out and i just cant figure it out. hope this is enough info to work with. lol i also emailed phil so im POSITIVE hell know whats going on.

I was just gonna ask you if you were working with Phil. Are you? He will have the answer for you.

Im curious, what happens when you try to add more weight? does something hurt?

Similar but different :)

I'm assuming this post by Phil has been read
as I think it adds value to what you are saying.
The first sentence says it all . . .

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38616&highlight=calves

I am far from being a great squatter but my
experience has been that there is a direct
correlation between my strength in the
dead lift and how much I can squat. When
my dead lifts go up, so does my squat, not
vice versa.

I just checked the link. His thought and mine are different but the same :) If you read it again, Phil was referring to seated raises more for soleus development in and of themselves if you are squating heavy. I was/am referring to for developing your soleus to increase your actual squat amount. They do compliment each other. Thanks for the research!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity