over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hammer Strength

overman

Registered
What, approximately, is the conversion of weight used on a Hammer Strength incline press to that of a straight bar (traditional) incline bench? Right now, I feel confident using the HS machine- 4 plates each side. Personal experiences?

Thank you

overman said:
What, approximately, is the conversion of weight used on a Hammer Strength incline press to that of a straight bar (traditional) incline bench? Right now, I feel confident using the HS machine- 4 plates each side. Personal experiences?

Thank you
Depends on how many reps you do ont it with that weight. I've done 4 plates on it and people were looking but I sure as hell can't barely do 3 plates with the bar.

ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO CONVERT.. i know guys inthe gym i owned that could literaly come close to maxing out the machines in terms of plates..but.. put a freeweight exercise in front of them and it was sad to say the least.. a lot depends on the personal coordination ect.. so it is too hard to convert.. on guy i had could easily do over five plates aside on the iso wide chest machine.. and could not get over 315 on th bench.. too many variables to consider..

overman said:

Thank you

I have no idea on how you would gauge this. I do love hammer strength equipment though.

i agree with lats. Its almost impossible to convert. But I will say for machines you cannot beat hammer at all. The DY row and lat pulldown are two of my favorites.

Machines do not take advantage of the synergist muscles which are small and work in harmony to balance free weight. I think they have their place but people still in their basic physical development of putting on their foundation ie mass, should stick to Olympic Style Free Weight movements.

THE STORM

thanks

I appreciate your feedback. I thought someone may have experimented with the two and possibly discovered an 'equation' or rough estimate. Oh well, I am still growing!

Hey THE STORM! Are you a member of our (USA) armed forces? If so, are you familiar with the Health Professions Scholarship? Long shit, I bet!

Last edited:
overman said:
I appreciate your feedback. I thought someone may have experimented with the two and possibly discovered an 'equation' or rough estimate. Oh well, I am still growing!

Hey THE STORM! Are you a member of our (USA) armed forces? If so, are you familiar with the Health Professions Scholarship? Long shit, I bet!

My enlistement ended sept 05... unless I can get my repaired ankle to let me run less than 8 min miles.. I'll never see duty again.

THE STORM

NOWHERE NEAR CONVERTABLE....

I was never ever strong on freeweight presses (maybe 140sx10 incline at my strongest) and 315x6 at my strongest.... but iv nailed 6 plates incline hammer for 6 reps. Also done 6 plates flat hammer for 4-6 reps AFTER incline hammer. Iv become a machine presser and my chest as grown ALOT more noticably than it ever has from freeweights i dont think il ever go back truthfully.

TP4U,

I have to agree with you. I've trained with free weights for a lot of years and I have started to incorporate more and more hammer strength and smith machine work lately and I'm seeing great results. Free weights certainly have their place but I think good machines do too. For one, they can provide a safer environment when going heavy as hell and getting the negative without worry of crushing yourself. This factor in itself can go a long way in building new mass.

Just my $.02

n4dmoney said:
TP4U,

I have to agree with you. I've trained with free weights for a lot of years and I have started to incorporate more and more hammer strength and smith machine work lately and I'm seeing great results. Free weights certainly have their place but I think good machines do too. For one, they can provide a safer environment when going heavy as hell and getting the negative without worry of crushing yourself. This factor in itself can go a long way in building new mass.

Just my $.02
bump

I agree with lats,
its not possible to convert. A machine compared to free weights is really no comparison. If want to know how much you can bench with the bar then you need to get under it.

Dave_19 said:
I agree with lats,
its not possible to convert. A machine compared to free weights is really no comparison. If want to know how much you can bench with the bar then you need to get under it.

what if you dont care what u bench :D

LATS said:
ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO CONVERT.. i know guys inthe gym i owned that could literaly come close to maxing out the machines in terms of plates..but.. put a freeweight exercise in front of them and it was sad to say the least.. a lot depends on the personal coordination ect.. so it is too hard to convert.. on guy i had could easily do over five plates aside on the iso wide chest machine.. and could not get over 315 on th bench.. too many variables to consider..

Absolutely. I tried one and got over four plate and had about a 390 bench. The dude with me had about a 345 bench and filled that fucker up and repped it. He was asking if it was a joke. I don't know what they use for reference but Skids tore that fucker up. I think its useable stuff but biomechanics decides what weight you use. .02

one of my great friends.....

once said this to me.... "Make it heavy and lift it"
gooey

i see

THE STORM, Have you had or know of anyone who has had any experience with military psychologists? If so, what were your (their) experiences? What about the reputation of the psychologists?

Thanks KAHN, good post. Your experience seems to be common- that is why I am curious.

Last edited:
as a older trainer (45)
the hammer strength is better then the bar
can do much more weight then the bar
but hold it at the top for two seconds
and see how much your chest improves

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311