over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hearts get younger with intense aerobic exercise, but not weight training

Of course we knew cardio is good for the heart. The point is how much better intense cardio is for the heart compared to weight training, and how many years it reverses heart aging. It may not be interesting to you or a lot of people, but others might find it useful or interesting in some capacity.

Intense cardio is is not so different to weight training.

Intense cardio is close to the anaerobic threshold, this its the reason that you can not do it for too long.

But if you have to choose between doing cardio or lifting weights, the second option is by far far superior. Your bones, muscles, flexibility, heart, your lungs, are all important for good health, and they all work when you lift free weights.

I do cardio like I lift - HIT or tabatas or whatever you want to call intervals on a stepper....
*this doesn't include walks outside up and down inclines for 20 - 30 minutes.
So I do some traditional cardio but not on the cardio machines.

I see the article as positive news for those of us that do HIT cardio, and for others that are on the edge of it.

No one study defines is the be all end all to forms of exercise.

I don't get what's meant by intense cardio? When I do a big set of squats o, deads or even bent rows my heart rate maxes out. Would this be considered intense cardio?

I never figured that holding my breath between reps or breathing shallowly to go into oxygen debt as in some forms of sex or exercise was as beneficial as deep continuous breathing during aerobics. If oxygen debt was all that was needed fat asses could sit around holding their breath and get in great cardio condition.

Last edited:
Of course we knew cardio is good for the heart. The point is how much better intense cardio is for the heart compared to weight training, and how many years it reverses heart aging. It may not be interesting to you or a lot of people, but others might find it useful or interesting in some capacity.

I am currently training like this. One minute rest between sets with some supersets, but I am nowhere close to being as gassed doing this as I am doing HIIT. IMO, it's no comparison.

However if you mean like some super long circuit, then maybe. I guess we don't really know.

But compared to non intense weight training. Of course its better than that. It would have been nice to see them compare intense cardio to intense weight training

It is hardly a ground breaking revelation that cardio has more benefit on your cardio vascular system than weights

News flash weight training will build more muscle than cardio too

It is hardly a ground breaking revelation that cardio has more benefit on your cardio vascular system than weights

News flash weight training will build more muscle than cardio too

My apologies for wasting your time reading it

That's why it makes sense to do both. I do cardio.....but not for weight loss.

15 minutes (20 tops) every training day just for the cardiovascular benefits....plus it stimulates my appetite.

My weight lifting sessions do get my heart rate up as I'm 60 seconds or less between sets....but nothing like HIIT does.

Only time I feel really taxed from weights is leg day.

Also noticed that while using Cardarine.....my overall heart rate doesn't get as high with the same effort as when I'm not taking it.

This is my 3rd run of it....and it's been the same everytime.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

lol everyone is mad at nothuman

15 minutes (20 tops) every training day just for the cardiovascular benefits....plus it stimulates my appetite.

My weight lifting sessions do get my heart rate up as I'm 60 seconds or less between sets....but nothing like HIIT does.

Only time I feel really taxed from weights is leg day.

Also noticed that while using Cardarine.....my overall heart rate doesn't get as high with the same effort as when I'm not taking it.

This is my 3rd run of it....and it's been the same everytime.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Same as me. Can't say I get the same effect from cardarine but as far as HR goes for the other things you mentioned, exactly the same.

My apologies for wasting your time reading it

Sorry if it came across like that but I was not directing this at you as I thoroughly enjoy the stuff you post I am also obsessed with markers like resting heart rate

I posted this for anyone who was arguing against the study or saying weight training had similar cv benefits to cv training

We lift weights we love lifting weights but I have stopped convincing myself that it is the healthiest pastime there is and understand the need for cardio pity it's just so damn boring compared to the pump

Sorry if it came across like that but I was not directing this at you as I thoroughly enjoy the stuff you post I am also obsessed with markers like resting heart rate

I posted this for anyone who was arguing against the study or saying weight training had similar cv benefits to cv training

We lift weights we love lifting weights but I have stopped convincing myself that it is the healthiest pastime there is and understand the need for cardio pity it's just so damn boring compared to the pump

All good :headbang:

I almost didn't post it but figured why the hell not since I see too many people here lying to themselves saying steady state cardio is better than HIIT when the research says otherwise. I also see guys thinking lifting weights faster can replace cardio when I don't believe it can. This study might not exactly prove those things, but it certainly might make them re-think their ways. Didn't see the harm posting something that may come across as obvious to many of us.

Even if your getting up to 80% max heart rate on your heavy squats, how long are you under that condition? A minute? I see this study does prove higher intensity exercise, for a good duration, at regular intervals increases stroke volume and cellular respiration efficiency. Which leads to better heart, cardiovascular health. Sorry but pounding out 1 rep max, 5 rep max every work out is not gonna have the same positive effect for your heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clearly you haven't monitored your HR during a 10rm set of front squats have you?

clearly you haven't monitored your HR during a 10rm set of front squats have you?

HR for 10 rm set and that gives you the whole story? There is A LOT more to the physiology behind this study than a simple HR check. At what point, how long into a cardio session is stroke volume and overall cardiac output at a peak? Look it up. Clue... CLEARLY it's longer than a minute of one set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good :headbang:

I almost didn't post it but figured why the hell not since I see too many people here lying to themselves saying steady state cardio is better than HIIT when the research says otherwise. I also see guys thinking lifting weights faster can replace cardio when I don't believe it can. This study might not exactly prove those things, but it certainly might make them re-think their ways. Didn't see the harm posting something that may come across as obvious to many of us.

I think one thing to take from it is that most of us need more cardio intense weight training even running around the gym super setting like a lunatic won't do the job.

yes, you can have your cake and eat it too

Project Total Conditioning

arthurjonesexercise.com/Athletic/Total.PDF (cut and paste)

Problem is, most people are not willing to work out hard enough and at a fast
enough pace to produce these results.

I have all the original data for this study . . . have talked with the man who
supervised this 'project' and many of the people involved, the names of all the
cadets and all the workouts and supporting data in a binder that AJ gave me
years ago when I lived with him before he died.

Last edited:
Dan John recently posted that he'd like to disassociate cardio with weightloss. He argues that we should do it for the health benefits. And I think he's right.

Or a super set of front squats immediately followed by chin-ups :eek:

**broken link removed**
Cardiac improvements seen with combined resistance training and aerobic training

Shibboleth Authentication Request
Effect of resistance training on LV function and structure of patients with chronic heart failure (improvements)

**broken link removed**
Strength/Endurance training beat out endurance only training in congestive HF patients

http://journals.lww.com/jcrjournal/...dence_Based_Application_of_Aerobic_and.3.aspx
Evidence-Based Application of Aerobic and Resistance Training in Patients With Congestive Heart Failure (improvements seen with both).

TLDR: Plenty of studies also supporting improved cardiac function from resistance training

Recommendation: Do both :)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner