advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

how do you know if you have what it takes to be a pro?

alfresco

Featured Member / Kilo Klub Member
Staff member
Super Moderators
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
The million dollar question . . . I know there is
no magic number, no one answer fits all, but
lets explore this for a moment.

I'm not asking how long to "be" a professional
bodybuilder . . . just how do you know if you
have the potential to be a pro bodybuilder?

Do you need to take steroids to find this out?

Do you need to risk your short / long term health to
see if you have the potential?

Do you need a personal trainer to find this out?

Who's opinion should you value when attempting
to answer this question? Your mirror or another pro's
eyes?

And when do you say, enough is enough, I don't have
what it takes?

Last edited:
Not the answer you're looking for.

I'm not a pro, so I can't personally answer this question, but from what I have read (testimony from pro's) is that when you start listening to people (whether you're good enough/whether you can do it or not) is when you lose out. Most of the pro's have the bulldog attitude of "fuck you and your opinion" (which is also the part of their personality that allows them to battle with the iron at such extreme levels required to become a monster.) But the first time you listen or take advice from someone who says "you can't do it", that tells you that you don't have what it takes.

It's easily answered...

I thought for years I had the potential to be a Pro... Then... I became friends and business partners with Dorian Yates... Seeing this man in his late 40's not training nearly as hard as before and still weighing 270 lbs and leaner than I have ever seen a human being be..... His calves are as big as my waist.. His abs literally look like they are carved out of stone.. His genetics are blatant.. I have a body that looks big and cut to your average guy and a lot of guys that workout.. BUT this was different. WAY different. After seeing that I knew I should stick to my day job.

I thought for years I had the potential to be a Pro... Then... I became friends and business partners with Dorian Yates... Seeing this man in his late 40's not training nearly as hard as before and still weighing 270 lbs and leaner than I have ever seen a human being be..... His calves are as big as my waist.. His abs literally look like they are carved out of stone.. His genetics are blatant.. I have a body that looks big and cut to your average guy and a lot of guys that workout.. BUT this was different. WAY different. After seeing that I knew I should stick to my day job.

dont confuse the potential of obtaining a pro card to a physique capable of winning 6 Mr. O titles...

after seeing what physiques get awarded pro cards sometimes, it doesnt look so impossible after all

so big difference between just being a pro and being a pro who can place decently
and then theres an even bigger difference between a pro who can place decently and a pro who has a shot at Mr. O

Last edited:
I think pretty much in the early periods you will have a sense of being some what genetically superior. Now some people may find that an offensive statement but lets be REALLY honesty here - to get to the top of this game Genetics play a good part. I by NO MEANS am saying the likes of Dorian etc DIDNT bust a gut - they DID - but they also had immense genetics.

Take a look at the past 10+ years

Dorian Yates
Ronnie Coleman
Jay Cutler

Now if you go back to there early years you can see they had some kind of ability that was above average in obtaining and gaining muscle. Now add to the mix the common essentials [good nutrition, gear, good training] and you have yourself a couldron of success.

On the flip side - I am sure we can name a few who didnt have the genetic potential but trained equally hard and probably needed that much more drugs that simple went by the way side.......

It seems the more I eat and the harder I train, the better my "genetics" are.

Anybody have the pic of Dorian before he started working out where he must have been 110 pounds and pretty frail?

It seems the more I eat and the harder I train, the better my "genetics" are.

Anybody have the pic of Dorian before he started working out where he must have been 110 pounds and pretty frail?

lol fuck genetics and fuck what anyone has to say
if its your dream do it, but dont become delusional on the pathway

do it for yourself guys

do it for the physical fitness idea and the idea of being pro-healthy

test your genetics.......for all you know you may be a genetic phenom

dont confuse the potential of obtaining a pro card to a physique capable of winning 6 Mr. O titles...

after seeing what physiques get awarded pro cards sometimes, it doesnt look so impossible after all

so big difference between just being a pro and being a pro who can place decently
and then theres an even bigger difference between a pro who can place decently and a pro who has a shot at Mr. O

Yea, there are many "pros", but to be in the top ten at the Olympia is a different story.

One such photo exists. It's a group photo of him as a nazi skinhead teen. It was published in Muscle Media 2000(Bill Phillips Publication from the 90's). I searched for the pic online but I couldn't find it.

One such photo exists. It's a group photo of him as a nazi skinhead teen. It was published in Muscle Media 2000(Bill Phillips Publication from the 90's). I searched for the pic online but I couldn't find it.

here it is

Attachments

• dy.jpg
    dy.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 935
you know why arnold was the best in his day cause he knew he was, he knew it so well that everyone else knew it , he knew it so well his body even believed him. you know why franco didnt beat him cause he knew arnold was better then him. first limiting factor of anyone is they know they cant do it. dont be a victim of yourself, be an accomplishment of yourself.

My opinion on this?

Stop looking at pro's when they were 15-16 years old and thinking to yourself....see he was tiny too - I can accomplish what he can.

How many gigantic bodybuilding 15-16 year olds do you see walking around? None? Its like people live on the fact that Paul Dillett was skinny in his teens.....yea so what? So were alot of people.....how come virtually noone has built a physique like Dillett had?...there are a multiple of reasons for that and many of them are the reason you (generalized, not talking to anyone in particular) arent going to be anything close to pro......I bet a great many pro's didnt look too "freaky" at 15-16 years old but alot of people online live on that "look at that guy at 15, he is skinny" daydream because it makes them feel 'close'

Easy to turn pro? How many people lift in this world out of the 5-6 billion? 250 million people? There are 400 pro's or so over the last 15-20 years. Is that a good ratio to you? Here in the states where everyone and their brother lift weights.... roughly 9 guys go pro every year and the lighter class ones have no chance at all of making a dent. So lets do a little math. 300 million people in the USA.....1 million people have admitted to doing steroids here in the USA.....so let me really be on the low side and say there are only 1 million people lifting weights in the USA...(and i know thats a low figure, its probably 20-30 million people but for the sake of anyones argument let me be REALLY REALLY on the low side and only say one million people, even we all know better.)

one million people and 9 guys go pro......that a good ratio to you? Not to me it isnt.
You not only have to be far and away the best guy in your gym, but far and away the best guy in your town, and then the best guy in your local county and then the best guy in your entire state....and then you have to go and beat all the best guys in the other 50 states.

That leaves out alot of people with pipedreams who arent living in reality.

You will know you have pro genetics when you lift hardcore for 2 years and you fly by everyone else in your gym, you will leave all the guys you lift with in the dust....you will be 30 pounds of muscle mass past them and even though you are doing the same diets the same lifting etc.....you are twice the bodybuilder they are.

Jay Cutler lifted at Ironworks gym over here near me when i was growing up in Worcester Mass......do you think he was just one of the teens among the other teens lifting for a couple years? No he exploded and i mean exploded right by everyone. Those very same teenagers he was lifting among in the beginning he was dwarfing comically 2-3 years later.

You will know when you have pro genetics because it wont be much of a question you will have to ask yourself. Exceptionally smart people who skip right thru grades and find even the most intricate problems easy, kind of know they are definitely more gifted than the average guy next to them......exceptionally beautiful women kind of get the gist after a while, of guys oohing and ahhing at them......that they are pretty darn nice to look at.....and you will know when you have pro bodybuilding genetics by the huge distant separation in the gym and in contests you put between you and people who are doing the exact same things as you.

When your 5'10" 228 pounds in your first show.....that answers alot of questions....if your very symetrical you are probably going places in this sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtG1twxaMFI

When your 5'10" 228 offseason after 7-10 years of lifting and juicing.....that answers alot of questions also......you are pretty good (for your local gym).

Last edited:
Some people just have IT. I train with someone and when i first met him 3 years ago i was about 45 pounds heavier than he was now we are about the same but it looks totally differant with his shape and musle bellies. Like DC said they just blow past you in no time.

Last edited:
and turning pro is easier than becoming a good pro! a lot of people even in the light heavy and beyond class's get pro cards but will never in their life place good in an open pro show, not counting the 202 and under class yet but as that class gets bigger and bigger even that class will be included in my above situation.

and turning pro is easier than becoming a good pro! a lot of people even in the light heavy and beyond class's get pro cards but will never in their life place good in an open pro show, not counting the 202 and under class yet but as that class gets bigger and bigger even that class will be included in my above situation.
in bold was probably a stupid statement but my point is becoming a "good pro" is in itself another daunting task.

I got a question for Brad....as he is one of the elite bb'ers on this site and is very close to pro level.

All those guys you started lifting with Brad...all those guys in the gym, your buddies or acquaintances that started lifting around the same time you did.......(and Ive heard from Justin himself who told me you are an incredibly hard trainer).....so with all things being equal, what percentage of all those guys that were slamming the iron along side of you back in the day are at your level of development/national ranking now?

I would guesstimate you left all of them in the rear view mirror.....but I will let you answer yourself

Firstoff, good post dante!

My take on it is this: most of us don't have what it takes, and deep down in side, most of us know it. That is not to say that it is not acceptable to push yourself to be the best you possibly can be. My goal has always been to take myself as far as I can, wherever that may be, but I don't get lost along the way thinking that I will be the next Mr. Olympia. That is not to say that I don't eat, sleep, and breath bodybuilding. My life is bodybuilding, and I know that I have the work ethic it takes to reach my maximum genetic potential, but I will not be a pro.

And one other side note: Trey Brewer got a lot of publicity, but I have never thought he was going anywhere. He has overall mass, and he has a hell of a set of wheels, but he doesn't have the right shape in his upper body. His arms do not have the right look to be Mr. Olympia, and I think people get sidetracked by his age and his mass. There is more to this game than mass, folks.

i was hitting lat spreads in the nursery when i was born so my parents actually knew about my pro potential before i did

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws