advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How long to wait after cortisone therapy?

chetre

Newbies
New member here, I just wanted to ask for some of you to please impart some of your vast knowledge on a subject that is of concern to me: I have undergone cortisone therapy (1 injection per week for three weeks) for a shoulder injury. How long should I wait before going back to the gym and/or using gear? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

chetre said:
New member here, I just wanted to ask for some of you to please impart some of your vast knowledge on a subject that is of concern to me: I have undergone cortisone therapy (1 injection per week for three weeks) for a shoulder injury. How long should I wait before going back to the gym and/or using gear? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks very much.
You need to give us more info. What are you on cort. therapy for? i know you said shoulder but what have you done to it? I have had cort. therapy before for my ac joint. I was training the next day obviously avioding any thing that would aggrevate the injury. I took me three out of five shots to be able to go back to regular training. Total of six weeks!

what type of shoulder injury? Rotator? How severe?

thebrick said:
what type of shoulder injury? Rotator? How severe?
Het B, hows it going bro? Just wanted to say hello! Hope all is well with you and your training hard.

oldfella said:
Het B, hows it going bro? Just wanted to say hello! Hope all is well with you and your training hard.

Hey oldfella! doing good! I PM'd ya

Thanks for the replies. I first had an echo sounding (I think that is what they call it) and it showed that I had an enlargement of the tendon bag - I think they mean where all the tendons come together - (I am in Italy and so am translating from Italian, so please bear with me)......I think it was something like bursitis. The thing is is that the pain has shifted from the rear of my shoulder to the front and side. Some exercises that I was able to do before (like any kind of raises for the lats) I can no longer do. And some (like bench presses) I can now do with relatively little pain. I just had a CAT scan done and it showed no damage to the joint, but the doctor recommended that I have an MRI done now because of a suspected lesion to the rotator cuff. At any rate I am now staying away from any kind of exercise that causes me pain. However I am unsure if they will again try cortisone shots into the joint after the MRI, and if so I am thinking that it would be best to stay out of the gym entirely for some time. Thing is how long? And if it is a rotator cuff injury what to do about it? Italian doctors are not as good as American docs, in my opinion. Any ideas and/or suggestions? Thanks very much.

Well bro i had a cortisone shot in my forearm for imflamation of the tendons or aka "tennis elbow " and i waited exactly 1 week and went back to the gym and started training but have been staying away from going heavy on most of my exercises.. I ve been using mostly machines and lighting free weights. for example since my problem was on my right forearm i just use considerable less weight on my right side than on my left side. Now i know this must look silly when your rowing 100lb dumbells and only using less than half of that on yur injured side but i definitely dont want to reaggravate the injured side again.... Its been 3 weeks since my shot and im feeling great with no pain but im still taking it slow and letting my body be my guide. I think u should stay away from any aas bc that couyld ttrick your mind not your tendons in thinking you can pick up that 100lb dumbell or press that 315... but when you are ready EQ has the greatest emphasis on collagen production, which will keep your tendons strong and healthy. Which is why I think EQ should be in every cycle. The worst thing a guy can do is tear something. EQ can help prevent that. Now, if you have joint pain, EQ won't help their, but if you have tendon issues, it 'will' help that and prevent future problems as your strength goes up.... I hope that helps bro and good luck

well i just got back from the doc just now and the MRI results say i have partial articular surface tear and bursitis on right shoulder.he gave me cortison shot and some therapy.i asked him if i can workout and he said absolutly.just wait till tomorrow and stay away from the exercises that i feel it will irritate the shoulder.and inabout a week i should have no pain anymore.

I had cortisone injected into my shoulder some years back due to rotator imbingement and inflamation problems. I was back into the gym within days but my sports doc told me to take it easy for a while because the cortisone masks the pain and it may feel much better than it really is. My advice is let the cortisone do its work and give it some time before pushing it hard. If it is your your rotator and does not require surgery, start your rotator rehab exercises right away. There are lots to pick from. Do a search online and you should find plenty of those. I was under the impression from my doctor that you do not want more than 3 cortisone injections into any one joint because of tendon degradation.

Thanks to you all!

Guys, I just wanted to thank all of you for your input. Got just about all I need. One more thing: how does somebody PM (private message) another member on this board? Can you do it? Let me know please and thanks again.

chetre said:
Guys, I just wanted to thank all of you for your input. Got just about all I need. One more thing: how does somebody PM (private message) another member on this board? Can you do it? Let me know please and thanks again.
Go to user control panel (user cp) at the top menu bar. when you click that it will put you into your control panel. Go to send new messege. The easy way is to click on a persons name from the thread and it will ask you what you want to do! I don't have any more to add to the cort advice except don't overdo the cortisone, not only is it bad for tendons but it is highly catabolic to muscle:eek: . You don't want that!!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131