mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Joining military if on testosterone replacement therapy?

stinkpelt

Registered
I can't seem to find an answer to this question. I was an 11 bravo way back in 94-97 and was thinking about trying to join the army again before I hit 35 years old. I have been on Dr. prescribed TRT for almost a year now. Does anyone know what the rules are for joining the Army and TRT? Would I automatically be disqualified?

When at MEPS I had disclosed that I take an OTC sleep aid (as dumb and naive as I was) and that was the beginning of the end for me in regards to being permanently DQ'd. Maybe you can call a few out of state recruiters (so you can keep your identity private) and ask them what they think.

Not by it self it shouldn't.

If you plan to continue on TRT while in uniform, them you should disclose it accordingly.

hey bro im a army sgt and the only time you run into real problems at meps is when you have a condition that will make you non-deployable. now when your already enlisted and a condition develops I've seen people who were non-deployable and im pretty sure they leave those people alone but if your going in i think they want you deployable right off the bat because right now that is the most important thing with the military. nobody's saying that you can't keep it to yourself and try to work it into your life after your active duty......... good luck hoooooaaaaahhhhh.

They dont care if you have low testosterone when you go to meps for your labs. But they do care what and why meds you are taking. Dont volunteer that information as it wont make a dfference.

Before you go to meps since you are TRT HRT whatever makes sure you do some lab work and that your numbers are within range. Also check your B/P as well.

Good luck once you get in and after basic start over from scratch and bring up the symptoms and get rediagnosed and get your TRT back. Dont mention your previous condition. Your not lying your just not going to volunteer that info. MM

They dont care if you have low testosterone when you go to meps for your labs. But they do care what and why meds you are taking. Dont volunteer that information as it wont make a dfference.

Before you go to meps since you are TRT HRT whatever makes sure you do some lab work and that your numbers are within range. Also check your B/P as well.

Good luck once you get in and after basic start over from scratch and bring up the symptoms and get rediagnosed and get your TRT back. Dont mention your previous condition. Your not lying your just not going to volunteer that info. MM

As a prior Navy recruiter, this is by far the best info that have been put out on this subject. I also have a friend that was left behind on the beach as the ship deployed due to the medical staff being worried that their may be delays with getting him his TRT meds. He did exactly what you said. He waited about 6 months after Boot camp and brought up his symptoms. It took a while but he got them to buy off on it.

BTW. when it came to MEPS, we had a saying. Answer all questions with NO. No means Naval Opportunities and Yes means Your Enlistment Stops!!!

Last edited:
I can't seem to find an answer to this question. I was an 11 bravo way back in 94-97 and was thinking about trying to join the army again before I hit 35 years old. I have been on Dr. prescribed TRT for almost a year now. Does anyone know what the rules are for joining the Army and TRT? Would I automatically be disqualified?

your best bet IMO, would be to keep that info to yourself until u are back in and then go to the MC wherever u are stationed, let the military doc find out for himself u need it and let him give it to u. As of 2 months ago prior service with ANY existing med issues were automatically DQ'd...so don't tell em til ur in and let them think they found the problem...does that make sense bro?

Thanks fellas. All good advice. Ill just have to front load a lot before I go to basic lol. I am waiting on a copy of my dd214 before I get too serious. Not considering enlisted this time...I have an masters degree and years of professional experience. Would like a butter bar :).

Well, just found out the maximum age for OCS was dropped from 35 to 30 a couple of months ago so I'm fucked. Oh well, my current job isn't so bad....

I wonder why they cant just let you join at any age. I would love to join right now but at 42, obviously I'm a little on the old side.

I mean, if you can pass all the requirements and do the job, what the hell?

I bet I would do better than most of the young guys, even in the more challenging and elite training programs; which require more mental toughness than physical anyway.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear that. I think the military is phucked for not allowing older guys (within reason) to join. For all the selfish bastards who serve nobody but themselves in this country, there's the Armed Services turning away otherwise good people because of Age. I think I would be an asset and I'm sure you feel the same way.

Last edited:
Last I knew, 42 was the cut off... I have a friend who turned 40 in basic, he was older than our 1st sarge. He had no issues... He got hurt(hip) when we in jump school, but rested a week & graduated in next class a week behind.

I wonder why they cant just let you join at any age. I would love to join right now but at 42, obviously I'm a little on the old side.

I bet I would do better than most of the young guys, even in the more challenging and elite training programs; which require more mental toughness than physical anyway.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear that. I think the military is phucked for not allowing older guys (within reason) to join. For all the selfish bastards who serve nobody but themselves in this country, there's the Armed Services turning away otherwise good people because of Age. I think I would be an asset and I'm sure you feel the same way.

Well, just found out the maximum age for OCS was dropped from 35 to 30 a couple of months ago so I'm fucked. Oh well, my current job isn't so bad....

Are you 100% positive that you can not get a waiver for this?

You could always join the national guard and get a full time job with them. Same pay and benefits as active duty...I came off active in January to the guard and have an AGR job with them now, and I love it bro...check into it, I'm almost positive age limit is 42...

Well, imy g/f is a warrant officer and she is going to do a little looking around for me...maybe she can find a recruiter who could work with me and get an age waiver. Another problem is that having prior service limits what MOS are available so I have been told. Its airborne infantry or nothing. The max age for enlisted decreased from 42 to 35 recently. I'm not interested in being enlisted again. I am a leader....and am used to making decent $ so officer is really only option. I'm not giving up just yet :)

Last I knew, 42 was the cut off... I have a friend who turned 40 in basic, he was older than our 1st sarge. He had no issues... He got hurt(hip) when we in jump school, but rested a week & graduated in next class a week behind.

You're shitting me? I thought I read it was 35. I may have to check this out!

Well, imy g/f is a warrant officer and she is going to do a little looking around for me...maybe she can find a recruiter who could work with me and get an age waiver. Another problem is that having prior service limits what MOS are available so I have been told. Its airborne infantry or nothing. The max age for enlisted decreased from 42 to 35 recently. I'm not interested in being enlisted again. I am a leader....and am used to making decent $ so officer is really only option. I'm not giving up just yet :) maybe saudi arabia will turn to complete shit

I agree with you Steve123. With all of our llife experiences, us older folks would make much better soldiers that some of the 18 y/o fucktards joining now. I was definitely a fucktard at 18

Thanks fellas. All good advice. Ill just have to front load a lot before I go to basic lol. I am waiting on a copy of my dd214 before I get too serious. Not considering enlisted this time...I have an masters degree and years of professional experience. Would like a butter bar :).

When you go to basic just make sure you are in shape cardio wise. Make sure you look up the PT requirements and ht and wt scales and are within limits or close. If you are in shape running wise and are mentally prepared to do what you are told without complaining and whinning you will do well. Work as a team and try to take the lead in helping those you see struggling around you.
I went to basic training in 19.. so im sure alot has changed but im sure cardio is key to make other things easier on you. Good luck and no matter what you do if its cleaning toilets working at a restuarant be the best at cleaning those toilets best restuarant worker you can be.

This attitude will get you promoted no matter what field you are in. If not promoted you will be an asset that when things go bad they dont want to let go. If you have any questions feel free to pm. I am a flight medic in the army its good and bad like any other thing you do in life. Take care MM

You can still join at 42 yrs old. You just cant attend OCS changed recently unless you are a medical doctor they will find a way to bring you in. You just have to be albe to retire by 62yrs old. But you will have a more thorough physical every year at 40 then at 30. No biggie once you are in though.

Yes the older guys are serious and their for a reason. Their attitudes are usually easier to conform to the military standards. But once you set the standard and let it be known the others either conform or move on. MM

OCS Age Changed just recently so I believe you will be set. Go to ArmyOCS Portal. Do not tell the military you are on HRT, just stop taking HRT during basic and AIT then once you get to your unit do what you go to do. Know that when you deploy you might not be able to take HRT either. If they check your room or stuff which may happen and find juice your done.

hope that help..

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
saltseeker