advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Just curious ,when people say take in 1and a half times your bodyweight in protein

Ehealthpills

Banned
Does that mean total mass or just muscle,basically
Subtracting bodyfat from your total weight then 1 and half times that.
I have my own philosophy on this matter but would like to hear
What your opinions on this

I'm no expert but in terms of variables it is muscle tissue (x lbs) that requires a certain amount of potein (x grams) for repair therefore protein per lb of lean bodyweight is a more accurate measurement.

If LEAN isn't stated then I'll assume it's your overall bodyweight.

Last edited:
muscle needs protein. fat does not need protein

Measure your bodyfat and multiplie per your total weight, that's your fatty mass.

After that, do: total weight minus fatty mas = lean body mass

And use the LBM to calculate the protein consumption per lb.

1.5 usually is referring to LBM. This is just a guideline as not everyone needs that amount to grow

I know that it is not necessary just always wondered since
People never say lbm x1.5 in protein

Sorry to be off topic but why is ur name a sources site?

lit

Some literature I have seen and is pretty decent

From "Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders"

"These data indicate that, during the early stages of intensive bodybuilding training, PRO needs are approximately 100% greater than current recommendations but that PROIN increases from 1.35 to 2.62 g.kg-1.day-1 do not enhance muscle mass/strength gains, at least during the 1st mo of training." (That's about 1.19 grams per pound of bw)

**broken link removed**

From "What are the maximum protein requirements of strength athletes?" (Nice meta analysis here):

"Statistically non-significant trends deriving from muscle mass measurements, determined that the maximum protein requirements for strength athletes to be a moderate quantity of 1.4g/kg Bw/day. Similar results were shown in all three studies." (That's about .64 grams per pound of bw, if you're keeping score at home).

**broken link removed**

Finally, from "Macronutrient Considerations for the Sport of Bodybuilding":

"There is evidence that a relatively high protein intake (~30% of energy intake) will reduce lean mass loss relative to a lower protein intake (~15% of energy intake) during energy restriction. The higher protein intake will also provide a relatively large thermic effect that may aid in reducing body fat. In both the off-season and pre-contest phases, adequate dietary carbohydrate should be ingested (55–60% of total energy intake) so that training intensity can be maintained. Excess dietary saturated fat can exacerbate coronary artery disease; however, low-fat diets result in a reduction in circulating testosterone. Thus, we suggest dietary fats comprise 15–20% of the body builders’ off-season and pre-contest diets."

**broken link removed**

more good studies

AND

*Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) used elite bodybuilders and found that less protein was needed than in novice bodybuilders. In fact, the finding that the more experienced you are, the less protein you need, has been replicated in several studies (Rennie & Tipton, 2000; Hartman, Moore & Phillips, 2006; Moore et al., 2007).

*Lemon et al. (1992) studied bodybuilders training 1.5h per day, 6 days per week and still concluded 0.75g/lb is the highest intake at which body composition benefits could occur.

*Phillips & Van Loon (2011) concluded 0.82g/lb is the upper limit at which protein intake benefits body composition.

*Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.

* Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.

* Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.

* Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in
muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.

* Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period.

AND

*Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) used elite bodybuilders and found that less protein was needed than in novice bodybuilders. In fact, the finding that the more experienced you are, the less protein you need, has been replicated in several studies (Rennie & Tipton, 2000; Hartman, Moore & Phillips, 2006; Moore et al., 2007).

*Lemon et al. (1992) studied bodybuilders training 1.5h per day, 6 days per week and still concluded 0.75g/lb is the highest intake at which body composition benefits could occur.

*Phillips & Van Loon (2011) concluded 0.82g/lb is the upper limit at which protein intake benefits body composition.

*Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.

* Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.

* Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.

* Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in
muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.

* Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period.

I only eat about 160-170 a day at 230lbs... Works fine for me

I always assumed total weight just cause its more convenient to calculate and most people under exaggerate their bf%.

you're all overthinking this. right now, and im embarrassed to admit this, im 196 lbs and out of shape. I do stick to my macro's per meal and I eat about 300 grams of protien per day eating only when hungry. I'm not fat, just small and weak. you guys gotta learn to eat when hungry properly. It will make your lives so much easier and you'll get just amazing results once you figure it out.

i try to get 60-100gr per meal..if you want to weigh 300lbs you need to eat like a 300lb person..if you want to stay as you are eat for what you currently weigh.

I love freshly cooked chicken breast I love steak lean minced beef and any meat really. I fucking love poached eggs. Basicly im a protein whore, i try to keep it down to about 300 a day but damn its hard. I digest meat and eggs so much better than anything else so I tend to just go with it. I'm also somewhat addicted to toffee whey protein powder especially in my porage. Protein is probably my biggest addiction after tren/gh lol. The only way I can control protein intake is to fucking hammer the carbs which I try to avoid. I do find eating meat eggs and nuts I can eat untill very full and satisfied and still lean up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
tkav is right , you are making it way harder than it needs to be.

Your protein "needs" have alot more to do with what else you are eating than your body weight , if you are eating alot of carbs then your protein needs arn't as high , if your eating no carbs and moderat fat on say a plaumbo type diet then the protein needs to be higher

Find a starting point and adjust as needed

I like using 1.5g protein per pound of body weight and .5g fat per pound of body weight (basic Palumbo plan) then add carbs in to suit your calorie needs

Very different opinions but it makes sense with very different body types out there. When most people say the 1.5 I believe they are referencing total body weight. I do believe myself that body mass would be a smarter gauge. My motto......listen to your body.......and if ur not growing, eat more.

Gunsmith, I agree with you here, especially the point that you need to find a point to start at then adjust.

There are so many valriables that come into play such as digestion rate, enzymes, your level of physical activity outside of the gym, stress, the amount of damage done to your muscle through training.

And like Gunsmith said, it also depends on your other macros as well because if you are able to use carbs for energy then your body can use protein to rebiuld and repair tissue, whereas someone who is following a ketogenic plan might to adjust protein because they are going to derive energy primarily through ketosis versus from stored glycogen. But being in a state of ketosis does have a protein sparing effect, which is again, something else to consider.

As others have already stated, there is way more to selecting the optimum protein amount for YU then just using a one size fits all ration. For the record, it is muscle x1.5 grams of protein. so if you are 250 lbs at 10% body fat, the amount of muscle should be right at 225 lbs. So if that is the formula you wish to use, you would need to take 337.5 grams of protein daily.

for years I lived by that ratio also, and then I started doing protein based on some sports nutritionist levels after they had done a battery of blood work, and found for me at the age I was when I started using this new approach for me, I ended up only taking about 230 grams of protein. I am 251 lbs at 8% BF right now. I also found that the quality and type of protein made far more difference for me than the sheer volume of protein that I take in.

I have now found out I have a rarely kidney disease called IgA Nephropathy. I thought for sure my Nephro and endo would give me the old "protein is bad like you take it" talk. But these guys have been with me for a long time, as the last 8 years I have had some pretty serious challenges (March 2005 I was diagnosed with late Stage 4 throat and Neck cancer, given two months t olive, and no chance to survive the cancer. ) I beat that with a lot of mental toughness and some very good doctors, now I have this new challenge, but staying in the gym is a must for me, as I have been lifting since I was 8 years old though for sports, not body building, and I still lift as aggressively as I can (I am 51 now and for the record my height is 6/1 and as I said I weigh 251 lbs)

This got off topic on my part, but the fact is finding the amount of protein, AAS and other performance enhancing supplements is a personal thing, and what may be optimum for me and my goals may not be for you and what you want to achieve. I would try to stay away froom so called "standards Formulas" on the BB boards, and instead get the advice of a nymber of people like you have in this thread. There is plenty of diverse info in this thread for you to learn and try different ideas.

badham

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner