over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Legal muscle building pills!

machola

Registered
I bet this isn't what you were expecting. Check out this article. Common pain killers increase muscle strength and mass. Who would have known?

Daily dose of ibuprofen, acetaminophen upped growth by 40% to 60%, study found

15- to 20-minute sessions three times per week -- was set at a level known by the researchers to prompt significant muscle mass and strength growth in a participant's quadriceps muscles...the participants were randomly divided into an acetaminophen group, an ibuprofen group or a placebo group.

The two drugs were consumed at recommended daily dosage levels, as noted on current over-the-counter packaging.

To the research team's surprise, an analysis of muscle tissue samples taken before and after revealed that while the placebo group experienced a 7 percent growth in muscle mass and strength, those taking either acetaminophen or ibuprofen experienced an even greater gain -- 40 percent to 60 percent more.

its not conclusive yet but this study looks pretty good. Here's the article

Painkillers Boost Muscle Mass Among Weight-Traini... ( Daily dose of ibuprofen acetaminophen...)

i wonder by what mechanism this occurs. some things are not always direct cause and effect

for example it could be that the pain killers allow the elderly to train with more intensity; i.e. masking some training induced pain. as we all know a more intense workout stimulates muscle growth.

Rad, this Vicodin should get me fucking hyuge!! lol..

Very interesting as everything I've read on OTC pain med administration is counter productive to hypertrophy.

this is odd, because i read over and over again this summer that these pain killers harm protein synthesis, what they were saying was that a non nsaid using weight trainer experienced a 76% boost in protein synthesis after weight training, but the users of these pain killers did not get that.

I'm pretty sure that everything i read was all based on one study, and i am by no means doubting what you have there.

It's just weird. I've gotten to the point where I won't take any of those meds because of what I read. Unless, of course I have some real pain. Normal aches and pains, or head aches, though? no.

anyway, good find.

oh, and the articles I read were all based on pretty high dose, like a whole days worth all at once, but it was still not encouraging to me.

Inhibition of the cyclooxygenase-2 enzyme :
with anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or aspirin, prevents the
formation of active prostaglandins. The anabolic
cascade is stalled without sufficient
prostaglandin formation interfering with
the normal increase in protein synthesis rates
after exercise. It is often advised to use such
drugs only when necessary if muscle growth is a
key focus.

(Am J Physiol 'Endocrinol Metab 282:E551-6)
Anabolics 2009, Llewellyn

Theres so many conflicting views from study to study, makes you wonder if any of them are just looking for more funding to continue research AKA keep getting paid.

Not saying this is false but speaking in general.

I do know that plenty has to do with new scientific findings but still...

The study involved the elderly so I'm assuming the OTC pain killers allowed them to be active without pain and work out harder in the gym, which is why they had increased muscle growth.

I have seen that study but have also seen studies on MD that stated NSAIDs decreased satelite cell formation!

Rad, this Vicodin should get me fucking hyuge!! lol..

Very interesting as everything I've read on OTC pain med administration is counter productive to hypertrophy.

Yes indeed,,most of the stuff I have read has always said the same..not good for muscle growth.

what about daily baby aspirin for thinning blood to prevent stroke? Would it matter if the person was also on a 250mg/week dose of test.

what about daily baby aspirin for thinning blood to prevent stroke? Would it matter if the person was also on a 250mg/week dose of test.

I won't give up the 81mg of ASA per day. Not worth the risk!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws