over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Low Blood Pressure

pesty4077

Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Staff member
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Guys, my Mother-in-law is 59 and has a blood pressure reading of 83/57. What is a good way to slightly raise it without prescription medicine?

well, what symptoms does she have that cause you to ask in the first place? why are you worried about this bp reading? i can see where you're coming from, but this can be normal for some people. unless she's experiencing symptoms, i wouldn't necessarily be worried about any form of intervention.

have you expressed your concerns to your family NP or MD? what are their recommendations? is she on any medications that lower bp? she might be on some kind of supplement or medication that causes hypotension.

some easy ways to increase blood pressure include adding more sodium to your diet and drinking lots of fluids. ps, make sure she's not being exposed to hot water for an extensive period of time. it could cause the bp to drop lower and lower until she experiences dizziness. that could lead to...other complications.

lemme know

Coffee and sodium.

Increased sodium and also increased water intake. Unfortunately, medication may ultimately be the best course of treatment though.

I don't mean to hijack this thread...but would one of us bodybuilders using a cuff too small (to test bp) end up with lower numbers? At first thought, a small cuff would make me think it would be elevated...but I used a regular cuff and got some kind of weird numbers.

96/58
94/79

I haven't tested in quite a while..(I am 31) but in my mid to late 20's I was always in the low range... 110 or so over 64 or so. I wasn't using a large cuff on those either unless they randomly have them at the store machines due to fatter individuals.

I don't mean to hijack this thread...but would one of us bodybuilders using a cuff too small (to test bp) end up with lower numbers? At first thought, a small cuff would make me think it would be elevated...but I used a regular cuff and got some kind of weird numbers.

96/58
94/79

I haven't tested in quite a while..(I am 31) but in my mid to late 20's I was always in the low range... 110 or so over 64 or so. I wasn't using a large cuff on those either unless they randomly have them at the store machines due to fatter individuals.

I agree about the cuff. Most only go up to 17 inches too. Your blood pressure could change just by the way you position your arm too. Your numbers are are slightly low for your age, but not major concern. When you get my age, the numbers slightly increase.

Blood Pressure Chart By Age - Understand Your Normal Range

No, a smaller cuff will NEVER result in smaller numbers.
When I wear some smaller cuffs, I show up at 160 bp. I'm normally 105-120

Arm position makes a difference on the readings- I used a wrist measuring device because my arm is too big.
Palm open, level with heart while seated, drop the arm get higher numbers, raise it up get lower.

My father has low BP pesty, he is given a medication for it.
Problem with raising BP with stims and sodium is heart and kidney stress.

Is she on any meds? Health issues? Low BP can caused buy mineral imbalance to heart problems. If she's up in age, i wouldn't mess with something without consulting her GP at least.

What has her BP traditionally been? How does this compare?

My mother has always had, and passed on to me, genetically very low blood pressure. On cycle mine would still be less than 120/80. Right now I'm on Clomid only for fertility purposes, and last time I went to the doctor my BP was 94/57. Not quite as low as your MIL, but unless it has changed drastically or she is exhibiting symptoms, I would probably just leave well enough alone.

Thanks for all your responses guys. Very much appreciated. Since my wife and I are in Romania, we decided to take her to the Doctor for a physical and check up.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear