over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mushrooms…your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
As with most things it would maybe depend on how good a persons diet i. For those that get in a wide range of nutrition from fresh quality sources i would think that supplementing with such things would be less helpful then for those that get in less nutrients.

i consume a few grams daily of around 10-12 strains for a few months now,lions mane, shitake, reishi, cordyceps, the popular ones etc, has improved health quality the most probably out of any new supplemented years
**EDIT** - DUDE C'MON!

A few months back I added in lions mane twice daily with no other changes to my regime. Within three to four weeks, my girl was asking what was going on w me or if I went off TRT. My sex drive flat-lined?

I went from wanting it every day, which is normal for me, to not even thinking about sex for days on end.

Within a month of being off, all was back to normal. Kind of turned me off exploring any of the mushroom extracts. It literally felt like I went off test and crashed…. Never had an OTC supp given me that strong of a reaction.

For what it’s worth, I got bulk powder off Amazon so I guess who knows…
I used to down varieties of mushrooms on regular basis and never thought much of it. But recently tried King Oyster and realized they make me short of breath and hard to breath for a couple days. Not horrible but enough to be uncomfortable. Tired them a couple times with same reaction. Kind of makes me weary to try different varieties now.

i consume a few grams daily of around 10-12 strains for a few months now,lions mane, shitake, reishi, cordyceps, the popular ones etc, has improved health quality the most probably out of any new supplemented years
**EDIT** - DUDE C'MON!
Nootropics Depot or somewhere else?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If you were to try one to start (and not a blend like the supplement I posted) where you start? My main focus is to use it as a tool for mental sharpness.

I’m still researching. Mixed feedback on Derek’s product and I also wonder if it’s best to try so many strains the first time as I wouldn’t know what’s doing what.

From a pure cognitive standpoint, any suggestions on where to start.

A few months back I added in lions mane twice daily with no other changes to my regime. Within three to four weeks, my girl was asking what was going on w me or if I went off TRT. My sex drive flat-lined?

I went from wanting it every day, which is normal for me, to not even thinking about sex for days on end.

Within a month of being off, all was back to normal. Kind of turned me off exploring any of the mushroom extracts. It literally felt like I went off test and crashed…. Never had an OTC supp given me that strong of a reaction.

For what it’s worth, I got bulk powder off Amazon so I guess who knows…
There is a popular YouTuber (Russo) that experienced the same problem experimenting with Lions Mane yet he's never recovered and is still having issues.

I’m still researching. Mixed feedback on Derek’s product and I also wonder if it’s best to try so many strains the first time as I wouldn’t know what’s doing what.

From a pure cognitive standpoint, any suggestions on where to start.
I'll keep ya posted on the new stuff from Nootropics Depot, because I broke down and bought it. Just started using it on Friday.

Way too early, but seems like less brain fog from a night of getting stoned. 🤣 Let's see what this upcoming week is like since I'll be sober.

I'll keep ya posted on the new stuff from Nootropics Depot, because I broke down and bought it. Just started using it on Friday.

Way too early, but seems like less brain fog from a night of getting stoned. 🤣 Let's see what this upcoming week is like since I'll be sober.
Oh yeah keep me posted please! Thanks!

Which one did you buy? I’m about to just yolo and buy it and see what happens.

Tiger Milk mushroom. Apparently it's good for respiratory system and endurance too. I haven't tested with cardio yet.

Definitely feeling sharper than usual today. Tuesday is generally a decent time to evaluate. Stone sober and back to a normal sleep wake pattern after the weekend. But I can't rule out placebo yet.

Today I took two of the tiger mushroom caps instead of one. I'd rather stick with one since it's relatively expensive, but I felt like experimenting.

Don't buy it due to my anecdotes. ND's products are generally great, but as always, shit affects people differently, and I haven't even had it for a week yet.

I'd be down with a good mushroom powder blend. So many to choose from, I wish there was a properly dosed powder that won't break the bank.

I ordered the Tigers milk, I'm going to try it out. I really like cordyceps, a lot of the others make my mood feel off, especially lions main.

Thanks for the feedback guys...keep it coming! I haven't purchased anything yet and still evaluating.

Peak O2 blend is the only ones I repeatedly have used.

Peak O2

This is a product I have personally used and can attest to the reduction in fatigue and a significant increase in endurance I experienced. It takes about a month for the full benefits to be achieved according to the company and studies but I notice it pretty much from the start.

Links to short videos on this product:

Chronic supplementation of a mushroom blend on oxygen kinetics, peak power, and time to exhaustion​

Background​

Cordyceps militaris has been used in pre-workout supplement blends intended to improve aerobic performance. Mushroom blends containing Cordyceps may serve as an ergogenic aid by improving oxygen kinetics and delaying fatigue, but there is limited data on the effects of this ingredient during exercise. The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of 3 weeks of supplementation with a mushroom blend on oxygen kinetics, aerobic power, time to exhaustion, and lactate levels during high-intensity exercise.

Methods​

In a double-blind placebo controlled design, recreationally active subjects (n = 10; mean ± SD; age = 21.4 ± 2.4 yrs; height = 175.8 ± 78 cm; weight = 75.0 ± 10.6 kg) were randomly assigned to a mushroom (MR; n = 6) or placebo (PL; n = 5) treatment group. All subjects completed a maximal graded exercise test, 6 min sub-maximal cycle test, and 3 min all-out cycle test, each separated by at least 24 hrs. Maximal oxygen consumption (VO2 max), time to exhaustion (TTE), and ventilatory threshold (VT) were determined via respiratory gas analysis during the maximal graded exercise test performed on a cycle ergometer. Lactate and oxygen saturation (SPO2) were measured at 0, 2, 3 and 6 min during the 6 min sub-max cycle test at a workload of 60% between VT and VO2 max. Peak power output (PP) was recorded during the 3 min all-out cycle test with a resistance of 4.5% of body weight. Subjects were given capsules containing either 1.3 grams of mushroom blend or 1.3 grams of maltodextrin (PL) to be taken 3 times per day (4 grams daily) for 3 weeks. The same 3 exercise tests were repeated after 3 weeks.

Results​

There was a significant increase in VO2 max (44.0 ± 10.5 to 48.8 ± 11.1 ml/kg/min-1; p = 0.042) for MR. There was also an increase in TTE (+69.8 sec; 851.7 ± 170.0 to 921.5 ± 146.2 sec) for MR as determined by 95% confidence intervals. No changes in VO2 max or TTE were observed for PL (p > 0.05). Though not statistically significant (p > 0.05), there was a greater increase in VT for MR (+0.9 L/min; 1.7 ± 0.3 to 2.4 ± 1.0 L/min) compared to PL (+0.2 L/min; 2.3 ± 0.9 to 2.5 ± 0.7 L/min). Lactate increased significantly over the 6 min test in both groups with no significant difference between groups (p = 0.369). There was also a non-significant increase (p > 0.05) in PP in MR (51 ± 113 W) and a decrease in PP in PL (- 48 ± 50 W).

Conclusion​

Chronic, 3 week supplementation of a mushroom blend at 4 grams per day may improve VO2 max, increase TTE and augment PP during high-intensity aerobic exercise. A blend containing Cordyceps militaris may be an effective method for enhancing aerobic performance and delaying fatigue by improving oxygen kinetics. This could have positive implications for maintaining and improving training volume, especially in endurance athletes.-Hirsch, K.R., Mock, M.G., Roelofs, E.J. et al. Chronic supplementation of a mushroom blend on oxygen kinetics, peak power, and time to exhaustion. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 12, P45 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1186/1550-2783-12-S1-P45

end part 1

part 2

The following was taken from: https://www.theoptimizingblog.com/peako2/

Two clinical studies have been conducted specifically on PeakO2® in humans.

I’ve referenced the first several times above already. It was a double blind study conducted at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill that looked at the effects of daily PeakO2® supplementation for 3 weeks in young, recreationally active adults. Half of the participants took PeakO2® mushrooms and the other half took maltodextrin (placebo).6 All participants underwent several types of exercise tests. As discussed already, after 3 weeks, the mushroom group saw:

• Increase in VO2 max (44 to 48.8; +11%)
  • Increase in TTE (+70 seconds; +8%)
  • Increase in VT (1.7 to 2.4; +41%)
  • Increase in RPP (5.9 to 6.4; +8%)
These findings were consistent with previous studies conducted on Cordyceps years prior.2

Researchers also looked at PeakO2® supplementation of 1 week vs. 3 weeks, as previous studies have shown little to no effect from small acute doses. They found that benefits after 1 week were minimal, and benefits after 3 weeks were much greater.2

peak o2 vo2 max vt tte graphs
Changes in performance measures (A) maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max), (B) ventilatory threshold (VT), and (C) time to exhaustion (TTE) presented as 95% confidence intervals (Mean ± (1.96 × SEM)).
The second study, conducted at my alma mater College of Charleston, looked at a higher dose (12g/day) over 1 week compared to a lower dose (1-2g/day) over 4 weeks.10

As in the first study, after 4 weeks of daily supplementation, participants saw significant improvements in VO2 max, VT, TTE, blood lactate, and power output compared to placebo. The participants in the 1-week high-dose group exhibited little to no benefits, with some benefits being seen for lower-baseline-aerobic-capacity participants. This makes sense, as people with greater levels of physical fitness have less room for improvement.10

peako2 tte graph
10.11648.j.ajss.20180601.11

Peak O2 blend is the only ones I repeatedly have used.

Peak O2

This is a product I have personally used and can attest to the reduction in fatigue and a significant increase in endurance I experienced. It takes about a month for the full benefits to be achieved according to the company and studies but I notice it pretty much from the start.

Links to short videos on this product:

Chronic supplementation of a mushroom blend on oxygen kinetics, peak power, and time to exhaustion​

Background​

Cordyceps militaris has been used in pre-workout supplement blends intended to improve aerobic performance. Mushroom blends containing Cordyceps may serve as an ergogenic aid by improving oxygen kinetics and delaying fatigue, but there is limited data on the effects of this ingredient during exercise. The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of 3 weeks of supplementation with a mushroom blend on oxygen kinetics, aerobic power, time to exhaustion, and lactate levels during high-intensity exercise.

Methods​

In a double-blind placebo controlled design, recreationally active subjects (n = 10; mean ± SD; age = 21.4 ± 2.4 yrs; height = 175.8 ± 78 cm; weight = 75.0 ± 10.6 kg) were randomly assigned to a mushroom (MR; n = 6) or placebo (PL; n = 5) treatment group. All subjects completed a maximal graded exercise test, 6 min sub-maximal cycle test, and 3 min all-out cycle test, each separated by at least 24 hrs. Maximal oxygen consumption (VO2 max), time to exhaustion (TTE), and ventilatory threshold (VT) were determined via respiratory gas analysis during the maximal graded exercise test performed on a cycle ergometer. Lactate and oxygen saturation (SPO2) were measured at 0, 2, 3 and 6 min during the 6 min sub-max cycle test at a workload of 60% between VT and VO2 max. Peak power output (PP) was recorded during the 3 min all-out cycle test with a resistance of 4.5% of body weight. Subjects were given capsules containing either 1.3 grams of mushroom blend or 1.3 grams of maltodextrin (PL) to be taken 3 times per day (4 grams daily) for 3 weeks. The same 3 exercise tests were repeated after 3 weeks.

Results​

There was a significant increase in VO2 max (44.0 ± 10.5 to 48.8 ± 11.1 ml/kg/min-1; p = 0.042) for MR. There was also an increase in TTE (+69.8 sec; 851.7 ± 170.0 to 921.5 ± 146.2 sec) for MR as determined by 95% confidence intervals. No changes in VO2 max or TTE were observed for PL (p > 0.05). Though not statistically significant (p > 0.05), there was a greater increase in VT for MR (+0.9 L/min; 1.7 ± 0.3 to 2.4 ± 1.0 L/min) compared to PL (+0.2 L/min; 2.3 ± 0.9 to 2.5 ± 0.7 L/min). Lactate increased significantly over the 6 min test in both groups with no significant difference between groups (p = 0.369). There was also a non-significant increase (p > 0.05) in PP in MR (51 ± 113 W) and a decrease in PP in PL (- 48 ± 50 W).

Conclusion​

Chronic, 3 week supplementation of a mushroom blend at 4 grams per day may improve VO2 max, increase TTE and augment PP during high-intensity aerobic exercise. A blend containing Cordyceps militaris may be an effective method for enhancing aerobic performance and delaying fatigue by improving oxygen kinetics. This could have positive implications for maintaining and improving training volume, especially in endurance athletes.-Hirsch, K.R., Mock, M.G., Roelofs, E.J. et al. Chronic supplementation of a mushroom blend on oxygen kinetics, peak power, and time to exhaustion. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 12, P45 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1186/1550-2783-12-S1-P45

end part 1
PEAK 02 dose work well. But, mood. Libido and sense of well-being goes down after a bit. I get the same results with just cordyceps and they make me feel good.

2 days on Tigers Milk. I have a bad sinus infection due to allergies, so taking Nyquil which normally makes me really groggy the next day. Now all of a sudden my mental clarity is great. Kinda like Adderall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member