mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MY BIG BROTHER AND AMINO ACIDS (FROM THE BIG 80'S).........

JAP426

Registered
Back in the mid 80's my brother was a competitive bodybuilder and used a pure "crystal" free form amino acid powder (he stated that the company was called "Anabolic Naturals" he believes).

He used to just put a tablespoon of the powder in his mouth and wash it down with water. Did it about 3-4 times a day while training for a contest. Said it was very expensive back then. He would eat 3 small meals in addition to the amino acids. He said that the powder was virtually no calories which was alot better than drinking protein shakes while trying to cut.

He stated that the type that he took were "pharmacy grade" and to me sound alot like the LBA's. He does not believe that the type that he used are available anymore. However, he is 46 now and just "lifts" for recreational purposes. He is out of the supplement loop altogether. Although he is still in great shape at about 6 foot and 210 pounds. He competed at about 220 pounds and 5% bodyfat (I told him not big by today's standards).

*** He also told me that he took 3 Anavar pills daily about 8 weeks before a contest. (probably accounting for the majority of him maintaining his muscle mass obviously).

I COULD TALK TO HIM ALL DAY ABOUT HIS TRAINING/DIET/SUPPLEMENT METHODS FORM THE 70'S AND 80'S. VERY INTERESTING HOW DIFFERENT THINGS WERE!

Last edited:
yea i love picking the brain of oldtimers a buddy of mine was mr kansas 1992 it was really cool talking with him about training/supps....

MORE.........

Yeah, the only other supplements he took was a multivitamin and Lecithin (in addition to a bunch of the amino acids) . He stated that Lecithin was taken for cholesterol. The funny thing is that the only juice that he took was strictly orals. Didn't know any better 25 years ago. The only "long term" side effect that he seems to suffer from is slightly elevated blood pressure (controlled with meds) and a low HDL. His HDL was just tested at 32. He has not taken juice in 20 years.

MORE.....

He also said that when he was "bulking" he used a protein powder instead of the powdered amino's. The powder was called GAINERADE and he said that it was made by a company called IRONWORKS in North Carolina he believes. A Google search turned up nothing which probably means that this company folded about 20 years ago. He said that he never had a protein shake that tasted as good.

He also still has the original Bulgarian Power Burst manuals. He stated that he does not believe that he actually tried the routines though. He was big on 3 on / 1 off using a push,pull,legs split. I remember vividly he trained using alot of "half reps". Just did the top half of pull-ups,press behind neck and sit-ups. Only did the lower half of bench presses. Weird but it worked for him.

Last edited:
yea i love picking the brain of oldtimers a buddy of mine was mr kansas 1992 it was really cool talking with him about training/supps....[/QUOTE

You`re really making me feel old !! The first contest i competed in was in 1978 !

Back in the mid 80's my brother was a competitive bodybuilder and used a pure "crystal" free form amino acid powder (he stated that the company was called "Anabolic Naturals" he believes).

He stated that the type that he took were "pharmacy grade" and to me sound alot like the LBA's. He does not believe that the type that he used are available anymore.

They are simply crystalline free form amino acids. I believe LBA's is a hydrolysate, which means the protein is treated with enzymes and you end up with peptides. As far as being pharmaceutical grade, they are probably good quality but you never know with supp companies. :D

This is supposed to be a good raw amino producer:
http://www.ajiaminoscience.com/

Yeah, the only other supplements he took was a multivitamin and Lecithin (in addition to a bunch of the amino acids) . He stated that Lecithin was taken for cholesterol. The funny thing is that the only juice that he took was strictly orals. Didn't know any better 25 years ago. The only "long term" side effect that he seems to suffer from is slightly elevated blood pressure (controlled with meds) and a low HDL. His HDL was just tested at 32. He has not taken juice in 20 years.

Back in the very late seventies and early eighties, most of the guys I trained with including myself did oral only cycles. ( It was all we knew, and readily available in the "training room". My first cycle was DBOL only for about 12 weeks. Bloated up about 35 or 40 lbs and strength and agression (and acne) were insane.

PWood

Back in the very late seventies and early eighties, most of the guys I trained with including myself did oral only cycles. ( It was all we knew, and readily available in the "training room". My first cycle was DBOL only for about 12 weeks. Bloated up about 35 or 40 lbs and strength and agression (and acne) were insane.

PWood

Yeah its strange. According to my brother he used only Anavar and Dianabol. He stated that Anadrol was available and guys were splitting the 50 mg. pills in half and sharing them. Anadrol was too strong for his liking. He NEVER had any bloodwork done or monitored his blood pressure. However, he was using very small amounts as compared to what you hear about today. And mostly only when "cutting" up.

The side effects that he remembers were acne and aggression but that was it.

I remember a long time ago in the big Weider book, I know, I know... anyhow, it said take aminos several times per day and you will be surprised you are not ON.

I remember a long time ago in the big Weider book, I know, I know... anyhow, it said take aminos several times per day and you will be surprised you are not ON.

I do know that my brother stated that their is a "vast" difference in the Weider aminos and a pharmaceutical grade amino (like the one that he was using). The store bought (Weider,Twinlab,Wal-mart,etc.) are of very low grade. The ones that he was taking was similar to the "original" aminos of the Arnold era. Sounds corny but Google the name Rheo Blair. This guy supplied the bodybuilder's of old with the highest quality proteins. Very strong and digested quickly. Sounds a heck of alot like the priniciple of LBA's. High quality,highly assimilated protein. Period.

Last edited:
On the flip side my brother has some old Nautilus books that recommend no more than about 60 grams of protein daily for a 200 pound bodybuilder.

AHH THE BIG 80s

They were great, and yes I remember Anabol Naturals too, and a bunch of other stuff from the big 80s IT WAS THE BEST DECADE OF MY LIFE !! :D

Yeah its strange. According to my brother he used only Anavar and Dianabol. He stated that Anadrol was available and guys were splitting the 50 mg. pills in half and sharing them. Anadrol was too strong for his liking. He NEVER had any bloodwork done or monitored his blood pressure. However, he was using very small amounts as compared to what you hear about today. And mostly only when "cutting" up.

The side effects that he remembers were acne and aggression but that was it.

Another side effect, was becoming a starter instead of a bench rider!

anabol naturals were the shit back in the late 80's early 90's. Free Form capsules powders were very good quality, compared to the amino acid pills that tasted like sour hydrolysate.

Nothing special today as you can get free form aminos, BCAA's, L-Glutamine etc from just about anywhere now...but those were the days...hell that was even before creatine.

Ah okay, so he wasn't the only one around here to use them. Did you ever try them Massive G? Still to this day they look like like a top quality amino.

anabol naturals were the shit back in the late 80's early 90's. Free Form capsules powders were very good quality, compared to the amino acid pills that tasted like sour hydrolysate.

Nothing special today as you can get free form aminos, BCAA's, L-Glutamine etc from just about anywhere now...but those were the days...hell that was even before creatine.

Remember some of the other stuff around in the 80's?

boron
Smilax
Hot Stuff
Cybergenics

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that were especially worthless I.M.O.

Pars

Remember some of the other stuff around in the 80's?

boron
Smilax
Hot Stuff
Cybergenics

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that were especially worthless I.M.O.

Pars

Don't forget the massive line of "glandulars" that Weider had out back then...

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Bio
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackplace