YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T Should Parents be made accountable for their overweight children?

intensed

Registered
Overweight children is a increasing problem in America. Do you feel parents should be made accountable for this? Parents are the ones buying the food and preparing the meals, I don't understand how a parent could keep feeding a obese child knowing the complications. I refuse to keep junk food in the house. Soda, sweets, and chips are a treat in my house. I refuse to stock unlimited supply of these items. I had a discussion with an overweight guy at work and he questioned my practices. His excuse was soda is very cheap and why not supply it. Only beverages in my house for the most part are tea, milk, and water. About once a month I will buy a few liters of cola and its gone very quickly. I have been curious if I was to supply unlimited junk food what would be the outcome? Would the kids eventually become accustom to having unlimited junk in the house and not eat as much, or would they continue to consume and become obese. Times I feel guilty for not getting Mcdonalds once or twice per week and soda, all their friends get it!... When I take my kids to my aunts house she always have soda and they drink and drink like they are deprived. I always get that look like what the hell.

Sorry I had to ask and Vent.

Last edited:
Overweight children is a increasing problem in America. Do you feel parents should be made accountable for this? Parents are the ones buying the food and preparing the meals, I don't understand how a parent could keep feeding a obese child knowing the complications. I refuse to keep junk food in the house. Soda, sweets, and chips are a treat in my house. I refuse to stock unlimited supply of these items. I had a discussion with an overweight guy at work and he questioned my practices. His excuse was soda is very cheap and why not supply it. Only beverages in my house for the most part are tea, milk, and water. About once a month I will buy a few liters of cola and its gone very quickly. I have been curious if I was to supply unlimited junk food what would be the outcome? Would the kids eventually become accustom to having unlimited junk in the house and not eat as much, or would they continue to consume and become obese. Times I feel guilty for not getting Mcdonalds once or twice per week and soda, all their friends get it!... When I take my kids to my aunts house she always have soda and they drink and drink like they are deprived. I always get that look like what the hell.

Yes I believe to a point the parents are totally responsible. They have a duty of care to raise the child in a healthy, safe and loving environment. Keep them from harm and danger and if that danger includes obesity then they must keep them from that also. They are also responsible for the choices the child will make later in life, this is where to a point comes in. If the child chooses to make bad decisions with food once they are old enough to know better then what can a parent do and how can they be held accountable? But as the child developes, absolutely!!!

Most

I agree.. But most people feel your depriving your child of something. I'm also having a problem supplying my young children will Cell Phones, but all their friends have them. That is another story. Hell growing up my dad worked for Coca Cola. He would only get soda on occasion from work at discount prices. Man times have changed.

Yes I believe to a point the parents are totally responsible. They have a duty of care to raise the child in a healthy, safe and loving environment. Keep them from harm and danger and if that danger includes obesity then they must keep them from that also. They are also responsible for the choices the child will make later in life, this is where to a point comes in. If the child chooses to make bad decisions with food once they are old enough to know better then what can a parent do and how can they be held accountable? But as the child developes, absolutely!!!

Last edited:
in one word..YES!!!

Good question.

Well, im not a parent so I can't really see it from your point of view. I will say parents SHOULD be held accountable if their children become obese, actually I think its child neglect..the same as a child becoming malnourished or even anorexic.

Although they should still be able to enjoy their childhood. I don't see anything wrong with a kid having a kids meal once a week, or a pepsi a day.
I feel some parents often cause more harm to their kids trying to protect them. It just ends up backfiring...

I agree.. But most people feel your depriving your child of something. I'm also having a problem supplying my young children will Cell Phones, but all their friends have them. That is another story. Hell growing up my dad worked for Coca Cola. He would only get soda on occasion from work at discount prices. Man times have changed.

Haha I had the worst diet growing up.

Single mom never had time to cook so shed often say heres $5 go get something. That was EVERYDAY! I can tell you what comes in a combo at almost any fast food chain :(

Then she remarried when I was around 10, the guy was a dean at a high school and at night he worked delivering pizzas at little ceasars..he'd bring home left over pizzas everynight and that was my breakfast :D

Really, i think its not the parents fault its the failure of Society.

I mean there is commercial for sweets and sugary drinks and tons of unhealthy food everywhere and everyday, people get bombarded with this shit.

Why is it allowed for big companys to fool people to eat poison?

Does people need to stay on their guard when they go to buy food?
Apperantly they have too.
"Hmmm wonder who will try to sell me poison today?"

The food store is a fucking trap nowdays, its the no 1 killer in the west.
It what makes people have heart diseases, diabetes, cancer, obesity.

You cant blame it on the parents, this problem is not their fault.
Most parents doesnt have time to educate themselves about nutrition... its easy for us to say cause we are really interested in this kind of stuff and it started as as a hobby. But for all those parents who dont have time for a hobby?
And how was your diet before you got all into bodybuilding? Completely fucked huh? Yeah mine was too.
I mean some generations back you couldnt even find unhealthy food in a food store. Cause pretty much all food was NATURAL and healthy!!!

How did it come to this, what the fuck happened with our food???

You guys sit and complain about people who doesnt know how to eat healthy. Yet im sure 99% of you use toothpaste with Flouride for example...

i would say yes they are ultimately responsible for there children, i know that kids sometimes have medical issues that can affect there weight but parents must keep up with the doc and the diets and whatever it takes to keep the children safe and healthy.

From the Chef point of view, Child Obese is like Child Abuse from my point of view. If you love the child so much, you would want to give the child the best of everything for example, healthy food and diet and participate in sports etc. Why feed the Child MacDonalds? The Parents should be responsible !!

Really, i think its not the parents fault its the failure of Society.

I mean there is commercial for sweets and sugary drinks and tons of unhealthy food everywhere and everyday, people get bombarded with this shit.

Why is it allowed for big companys to fool people to eat poison?

Does people need to stay on their guard when they go to buy food?
Apperantly they have too.
"Hmmm wonder who will try to sell me poison today?"

The food store is a fucking trap nowdays, its the no 1 killer in the west.
It what makes people have heart diseases, diabetes, cancer, obesity.

You cant blame it on the parents, this problem is not their fault.
Most parents doesnt have time to educate themselves about nutrition... its easy for us to say cause we are really interested in this kind of stuff and it started as as a hobby. But for all those parents who dont have time for a hobby?
And how was your diet before you got all into bodybuilding? Completely fucked huh? Yeah mine was too.
I mean some generations back you couldnt even find unhealthy food in a food store. Cause pretty much all food was NATURAL and healthy!!!

How did it come to this, what the fuck happened with our food???

You guys sit and complain about people who doesnt know how to eat healthy. Yet im sure 99% of you use toothpaste with Flouride for example...

great points, i totally. the question becomes what is unhealthy? clearly pizzas and the shit everyone knows being harmful. i get angry with these lazy ass mothers that never want to cook a nice meal for their kids, they are the ones always going through the macdonald's drive through.
but your post goes a step further as you know much of what is even in a grocery store that many are taught is healthy is in fact not.
good post

I think sometimes it is the parents fault...... but i know of a family with 3 young children, two are skinny, one is fat. I know for a fact they eat fairly healthy, not much junk food if any, and the mom always prepares the kids' lunches for school and what not..... So why is one fat while the other two aren't? Genetics?

From the Chef point of view, Child Obese is like Child Abuse from my point of view. If you love the child so much, you would want to give the child the best of everything for example, healthy food and diet and participate in sports etc. Why feed the Child MacDonalds? The Parents should be responsible !!

This is exactly how I feel. My parents were the same way when I was growing up as a child. Sweets, debbie, fat and sodas. Both my parents were heavy smokers and now both suffer from their choices. A parent is fully responsible for their child weight, if it gets out of control.

Children should be taught healthy habit while they are young so it will carry over later in life. I wish I would have been taught when I was younger. But this gives me chance to become a parents who can teach his children that living a healthy life can be fun and rewarding.

But I think you should not take away MacDonalds or fast food from the children. Everyone now and then is fine. But it should not be TAKEN away for good. Every kid needs a happy meal! lol

Shit since 3/4 of the adult population is overweight themselves, how you going to make them acct for their kids?

Yes they should.

Parents are responsible for their children and teaching them (even if only remotely) healthy eating habits. But when the parent is obese, what are your chances of success? 99% of the time, when you have a fat parent, you have a fat kid. Lifestyle habits. My wife works at a hospital and at the children's obesity clinic (yes, there is such a clinic these days!!!)… they have one of the lowest rates of success rates of any clinic. Its very sad. You think health care costs are expensive now? Just wait until these people are suffering with all the complications obesity brings. Ever seen a 4 year old that weighed 180 pounds? My wife has and they lost custody to the state. Does it have to get to that point before something is done?

I am not optimistic on this subject.

snatch all the electronic gizmo's away from them and kick there little asses out side to play .
Yes ! It is always the parents responsibility .
but, it will take a couple of generation of changes to make the changes permanent .

I say yes and no i mean there are a lot of times some single parents are so busy that they have no time to cook or eat right themselves either working flying around for work who knows. Kids are taught about nutrition at a young age I know i was and I think its the cafeterias fault and kids themselves. They will learn eventually when they get teased for stuffing their mouths with pizza and cookies all the time. As for the parents i don't think they should be buying junk food or cooking crappy meals or ordering out crappy meals but like someone else said in here most parents are fat they can't even control themselves how will they control their kids?

Yes.

And it's not just a convenience issue. When I was growing up, we lived in a small town. There was no fast food. I was obese from a very early age.

Why?

Because my mother would spend all day baking cakes, cookies, very fat & sugar laden stuff, made with a lot of love, and then feeding them to me. As an example, for a family of 3 (mother, father, me) she would bake over 700 Xmas cookies each year.

Looking back on it, something was clearly not right with her. It would have been great (for me, in the long run) if somebody would have corrected her behavior.

Yes. Parents can allow kids more freedom in their diets, but they also need to provide nutritional meals and education to their children. Monitor what they eat, and monitor their weight, and get involved in family activities that have fitness as part of them...as simple and throwing a football, etc.

Yes! This falls on the shoulders of the parents. I do recognize that the socioeconomic status and education level of the parent has a bearing on this matter. However, IMHO I feel that it is a lack of effort by the parent to instill healthy lifestyle habits in their child, that results in the child's obesity. Remember that obesity is a multifaceted issue that involves positive energy balance, as well as physical inactivity, both of which can be CONTROLLED.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws