over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OCD in bodybuilding

shawnkarbabacz

Registered
I know that this is NOT the best way to go, but how many of you guys used to be this way, then finally got away from it? How long did it take? How did you stop freaking out about every little detail?

Im desperatly trying to get away from this thinking, but its pretty hard....

I feel its number one the biggest problem in bodybuilding and the main reason so many people get nowhere in this sport....I really do. Ive never seen obsessive compulsive disorder displayed like Ive seen in the last year and a half as it has become in bodybuilding. There are people on bodybuilding message boards right now that are frozen in their tracks because they cant decide whether to use maltodextrin/dextrose postworkout or vitargo or etc etc etc etc etc...and its driving them absolutely bonkers. I so badly want to reach through the computer screen and shake people sometimes and get in their face and say "Do you really freaking think it matters that much?!?!?! It doesnt matter!!! In the big picture of things, that one particular subject that you are so obsessing on, isnt going to amount to that much!"

The OCD has gotten so bad in this sport that people are worrying about the littlest of things constantly and chronically .......and honestly I bet any money that the chronic stress of worrying about those trivial little things probably catabolizes more muscle tissue than anything that would of been gained (.05 pounds of muscle mass in the next year?) that would of been gained from it. I read through muscle message boards and see these guys whose best friends are the mirror, whose sense of being is if someone said they looked big today, whose definition of themselves is whether they feel ok about themselves as a bodybuilder at this moment, who are just nitpicking and analyzing every facet of things until it drives them freaking bonkers.

Guys puff their chest out and type to anyone who will listen to them on a message board "ok this is what ive decided to do" .....and they type out their training routine......only to secondguess everything 10 days later when they see a new article in a muscle magazine.
Want the one way ticket to getting absolutely nowhere in bbing? Jump around like a chicken with your head cut off doing this and that and then that over there and then the latest thing that comes down the pike in Flex, Muscular Development or Musclemag Intl to the point you have no idea what the hell works and what doesnt....

You know this stuff really isnt that hard...it really isnt. There are a handfull of individuals in this sport that want you to think it is some intricate scientific equation and they are the professor and you are the student. Why? Because of many factors.
1) it makes them money talking down to you
2) it makes them feel very important ( let me ask you something, yea its not this trivial but building big muscles is simply about doing today what you havent done previously weightlifting wise (lifting heavier) and eating enough food to take you up the growth ladder )......when these "professor's" realize that NO they are not stem cell researchers curing cancer, not doctors of nanotechnology and not astrophysicists but simply people telling other people how to lift weights to get bigger muscles, the reality of that is a wakeup call of "wow I aint really that important am I? Well at least I can talk down to all these muscleheads and feel that way"
3) Go read a Scott Abel article on "why he is so great and everyone else sucks" and you will get a good laugh...he is the #1 guy Im talking about here above......go cure Lou Gehrig's disease Scott and I'll applaud that bloated ego you have instead of "Well I got Joey to do 275 x 8 in the squat today...a personal best for him!"...LOL
Want a good way of telling if a trainer knows his shit as it pertains to building muscle mass? Look at his trainee's. Did he make someone into something special sizewise with the genetics that were handed to him or are they using top amateurs or pro bodybuilders who were already monstrous as their examples?
4) Justin Harris when he was out here with me commented about something he saw happen to him on the message boards. He typed out this long explanation about a subject and he did it quickly. Some guy was just waiting in the wings to blast "oh you are wrong about this (tiny bit of....and i mean tiny bit of info about digestion that didnt need an explanation to be truthful....everyone should of known what justin meant)....but there the guy was trying to make a name for himself with basically an OCD mindset on the smallest minute factor.
5) I have a problem with all the OCD in this sport sometimes as it pertains to individuals living and dieing by the latest science blurb......my problem is that it freezes individuals so they can no longer make an educated guess. HMMMM who came out with the insulin usage protocols? Science or Milos? Milos. Who came out with usage of GH dosing? Science or bodybuilders? bodybuilders. Christ the ACSM said in 1977 steroids didnt work for size or strength. Who developed Post Cycle Therapy? Science or bodybuilders? Bodybuilders. People who thought outside the box. Do you think you would have ever seen the "Skipload" by Skip in a lab assay?.....no you wouldnt....he thought it all out to himself...an educated guess....in a sport that is about educated extremes.

Bodybuilding by and large is a quite simple endeavor but there are 2 kinds of people drawn to it mainly....

a) athletes
b) very insecure people who want to be big yesterday and constantly worry if what they are doing is the right thing. These people also accuse the people in group (a) of having secrets, using 50x the drugs they are etc etc etc etc......

If the OCD people in this sport (and in my opinion that accounts for about 80%) started looking at things as "Time in" instead of "its all about secrets....they would be so far ahead of the game. When I say "time in" i mean "if you eat in a successful way and train in a progressive way its going to take you this amount of TIME to get to where you want to be".....so time is the end all be all equation here if you are doing things you KNOW and BELIEVE IN that will make you successfull.

Do you know who some of the best bodybuilders Ive ever trained were?

Guys who were busy....so busy they didnt have all day to worry about trivial things and questioning everything in training, diet etc etc. They just were busy! So they went to work or school, ate their meals like clockwork, trained progressively at 6pm, got home and studied or spent time with their wives or girlfriends (and didnt obsess about bodybuilding) and then 6 months/ a year later they are 12-25 pounds bigger muscularly.....because they didnt overthink everything and they put their TIME in.

Ok im rambling...Im getting OCD about OCD...Im stopping there.

Last edited:
I feel its number one the biggest problem in bodybuilding and the main reason so many people get nowhere in this sport....I really do. Ive never seen obsessive compulsive disorder displayed like Ive seen in the last year and a half as it has become in bodybuilding. There are people on bodybuilding message boards right now that are frozen in their tracks because they cant decide whether to use maltodextrin/dextrose postworkout or vitargo or etc etc etc etc etc...and its driving them absolutely bonkers. I so badly want to reach through the computer screen and shake people sometimes and get in their face and say "Do you really freaking think it matters that much?!?!?! It doesnt matter!!! In the big picture of things, that one particular subject that you are so obsessing on, isnt going to amount to that much!"

The OCD has gotten so bad in this sport that people are worrying about the littlest of things constantly and chronically .......and honestly I bet any money that the chronic stress of worrying about those trivial little things probably catabolizes more muscle tissue than anything that would of been gained (.05 pounds of muscle mass in the next year?) that would of been gained from it. I read through muscle message boards and see these guys whose best friends are the mirror, whose sense of being is if someone said they looked big today, whose definition of themselves is whether they feel ok about themselves as a bodybuilder at this moment, who are just nitpicking and analyzing every facet of things until it drives them freaking bonkers.

Guys puff their chest out and type to anyone who will listen to them on a message board "ok this is what ive decided to do" .....and they type out their training routine......only to secondguess everything 10 days later when they see a new article in a muscle magazine.
Want the one way ticket to getting absolutely nowhere in bbing? Jump around like a chicken with your head cut off doing this and that and then that over there and then the latest thing that comes down the pike in Flex, Muscular Development or Musclemag Intl to the point you have no idea what the hell works and what doesnt....

You know this stuff really isnt that hard...it really isnt. There are a handfull of individuals in this sport that want you to think it is some intricate scientific equation and they are the professor and you are the student. Why? Because of many factors.
1) it makes them money talking down to you
2) it makes them feel very important ( let me ask you something, yea its not this trivial but building big muscles is simply about doing today what you havent done previously weightlifting wise (lifting heavier) and eating enough food to take you up the growth ladder )......when these "professor's" realize that NO they are not stem cell researchers curing cancer, not doctors of nanotechnology and not astrophysicists but simply people telling other people how to lift weights to get bigger muscles, the reality of that is a wakeup call of "wow I aint really that important am I? Well at least I can talk down to all these muscleheads and feel that way"
3) Go read a Scott Abel article on "why he is so great and everyone else sucks" and you will get a good laugh...he is the #1 guy Im talking about here above......go cure Lou Gehrig's disease Scott and I'll applaud that bloated ego you have instead of "Well I got Joey to do 275 x 8 in the squat today...a personal best for him!"...LOL
Want a good way of telling if a trainer knows his shit as it pertains to building muscle mass? Look at his trainee's. Did he make someone into something special sizewise with the genetics that were handed to him or are they using top amateurs or pro bodybuilders who were already monstrous as their examples?
4) Justin Harris when he was out here with me commented about something he saw happen to him on the message boards. He typed out this long explanation about a subject and he did it quickly. Some guy was just waiting in the wings to blast "oh you are wrong about this (tiny bit of....and i mean tiny bit of info about digestion that didnt need an explanation to be truthful....everyone should of known what justin meant)....but there the guy was trying to make a name for himself with basically an OCD mindset on the smallest minute factor.
5) I have a problem with all the OCD in this sport sometimes as it pertains to individuals living and dieing by the latest science blurb......my problem is that it freezes individuals so they can no longer make an educated guess. HMMMM who came out with the insulin usage protocols? Science or Milos? Milos. Who came out with usage of GH dosing? Science or bodybuilders? bodybuilders. Christ the ACSM said in 1977 steroids didnt work for size or strength. Who developed Post Cycle Therapy? Science or bodybuilders? Bodybuilders. People who thought outside the box. Do you think you would have ever seen the "Skipload" by Skip in a lab assay?.....no you wouldnt....he thought it all out to himself...an educated guess....in a sport that is about educated extremes.

Bodybuilding by and large is a quite simple endeavor but there are 2 kinds of people drawn to it mainly....

a) athletes
b) very insecure people who want to be big yesterday and constantly worry if what they are doing is the right thing. These people also accuse the people in group (a) of having secrets, using 50x the drugs they are etc etc etc etc......

If the OCD people in this sport (and in my opinion that accounts for about 80%) started looking at things as "Time in" instead of "its all about secrets....they would be so far ahead of the game. When I say "time in" i mean "if you eat in a successful way and train in a progressive way its going to take you this amount of TIME to get to where you want to be".....so time is the end all be all equation here if you are doing things you KNOW and BELIEVE IN that will make you successfull.

Do you know who some of the best bodybuilders Ive ever trained were?

Guys who were busy....so busy they didnt have all day to worry about trivial things and questioning everything in training, diet etc etc. They just were busy! So they went to work or school, ate their meals like clockwork, trained progressively at 6pm, got home and studied or spent time with their wives or girlfriends (and didnt obsess about bodybuilding) and then 6 months/ a year later they are 12-25 pounds bigger muscularly.....because they didnt overthink everything and they put their TIME in.

Ok im rambling...Im getting OCD about OCD...Im stopping there.

whoa whoa....quite beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel! :p

i agree 100% though. Theres NO substitute for just PUTTING YOUR TIME IN! Unfortunetly, for me at least, its not the fact that i 'wanna get big now and thnk this is gonna do it', its more the fact that if one thing goes wrong in my schedule, i feel everything is screwed up, even though i KNOW its not! Im hoping ill just gradually grow into more 'lifting' maturity as i keep going. I think ive gotten better as time goes on, but ive got a long way to go :/

And its true, look at almost every BIG guy on these boards....they all seem to say the same thing.....RELAX! haha easier said then done :p

most likely if you werent OCD about lifting you would be like the rest of the world.. lazy,...couch potato chip eating etc.. the ocd about all the little detail is a side effect lol in order to do this shit you have to really look at your body.. the more you look the more you notice.. you fix it.. then notice something else etc.. if that didnt happen would you work so hard? i make improvements all the time and then notice something else that sucks.. thats probably why i push myself the way i do.. i may never be "perfect" in my eyes but the imperfections drive me something fierce.. which in the end.. is productive

Great post DC

I really enjoyed reading that …and so true too. Consistency and time, the rest will take care of itself. And when you are enjoying lifting, the time goes fast

yea the 'never good enough' OCD attitude is what this sport is all about! The problem is it messes with your head quite a bit (at least mine) I know in REALITY its not a back breaker if i get my pre workout shake in 40 mins before i lift or 60, but i know when i do 'screw up' the timing, im thinking about it even at the gym! And thats no good!

Its sad when you know you have a problem but cant fix it right away with just common sense... :/

yea the 'never good enough' OCD attitude is what this sport is all about! The problem is it messes with your head quite a bit (at least mine) I know in REALITY its not a back breaker if i get my pre workout shake in 40 mins before i lift or 60, but i know when i do 'screw up' the timing, im thinking about it even at the gym! And thats no good!

Its sad when you know you have a problem but cant fix it right away with just common sense... :/

would you prefer the latter? the i dont give a shit whatever attitude? bet you wouldnt look very good if you werent alittle anal about things.. i have an alarm that goes off now when im supposed to eat so i dont accidentally get busy and forget my meals.. anal? hell yes.. fuckin works though doesnt it :)

would you prefer the latter? the i dont give a shit whatever attitude? bet you wouldnt look very good if you werent alittle anal about things.. i have an alarm that goes off now when im supposed to eat so i dont accidentally get busy and forget my meals.. anal? hell yes.. fuckin works though doesnt it :)

hahaha! Very true! I gotta say though, an alarm to tell you to eat is a little more OCD then me! :D

I just feel that being SOOO picky about little things that arent making or breaking me is setting myself up for a fall/binge/time off in the future. Im kind of an 'all or nothing' guy, and i cant afford to do the 'nothing' part :D

i have control issues. i guess thats kinda OCD. i would control the weather if i could BUT i can't so i control my eating and workouts. it has helped me ALOT. as long as i can control how i look and what i lift then the rerst of the world can be utter chaos but i am ok cuz weights just go up down up down up down etc etc etc.....all in my control -STEELE

AGREED! that was a great post! im as laid back of a guy as they come, and i attribute most of it to the gym. When you lift, it works out ALOT of stress that other people have to carry around. And controling your food/the way you look, makes other things you CANT control seem less....horrifying :)

Im with you on that bro!

hahaha! Very true! I gotta say though, an alarm to tell you to eat is a little more OCD then me! :D

I just feel that being SOOO picky about little things that arent making or breaking me is setting myself up for a fall/binge/time off in the future. Im kind of an 'all or nothing' guy, and i cant afford to do the 'nothing' part :D

well i work alot and i get wrapped up in meetings and running around.. before the alarm i was missing meals left and right lol i want to compete in 7 months and my diet is restrictive as hell... i cant afford to miss the calories/protein.. the alarm is new since i decided to compete before i didnt trip if i missed a meal or 3 lol (yes 3 it happened 2 weeks ago lol)

i have control issues. i guess thats kinda OCD. i would control the weather if i could BUT i can't so i control my eating and workouts. it has helped me ALOT. as long as i can control how i look and what i lift then the rerst of the world can be utter chaos but i am ok cuz weights just go up down up down up down etc etc etc.....all in my control -STEELE

Thats a good point. Lifting itself is therapy.

Dante...

As always...a great read!

I use to be extremely OCD..not worth the hassle or stress...after lisening to Phil, and reading some of Dantes posts it hit me.
-/+ 5 grams of protein each day will not make or break my diet. Its not worth the time measureing everything, just eye ball it.
Took me maybe 2ish years to become un OCD, which I feel is very soon for me.
Same with working out...if you have to miss a day b/c of injury, what's worse. 1 work out or 20? I'm glad I picked this up early...saved me being really hurt a few times.

Wow you just described me completely with the last sentence of your post!

your missing dante's point. pick a training and nutritional program, work it, be consistant but not obsessive, and give it enough time to work before jumping on the nex trend to come your way. if you work with phil, train dc style, 5x5 or any other method NONE of it will work if you dont let it. think in months and days at the same time. keep your mind in the present to reach your goals in the coming months. do you think that if you miss one meal today and only got 4250cals and 462 grams of protien instead of 500 it is going to matter over the course of months of training. NO! its the overall consistancy of what you do that matters. enjoy the rest of your life. enjoy your work, time with your family, wife, girlfriend, out with the guys. this sport should encompass no more than 2 hours of thought a day. you need to eat when your suposed to and train for about an hour...thats it. obsess in the gym about weight and reps. but once you leave, leave it in there with the dumbells.

your missing dante's point. pick a training and nutritional program, work it, be consistant but not obsessive, and give it enough time to work before jumping on the nex trend to come your way. if you work with phil, train dc style, 5x5 or any other method NONE of it will work if you dont let it. think in months and days at the same time. keep your mind in the present to reach your goals in the coming months. do you think that if you miss one meal today and only got 4250cals and 462 grams of protien instead of 500 it is going to matter over the course of months of training. NO! its the overall consistancy of what you do that matters. enjoy the rest of your life. enjoy your work, time with your family, wife, girlfriend, out with the guys. this sport should encompass no more than 2 hours of thought a day. you need to eat when your suposed to and train for about an hour...thats it. obsess in the gym about weight and reps. but once you leave, leave it in there with the dumbells.

I hear ya...but the pt of this thread, for me and apparently at least a few other people, is thats easier said then done. I agree totally...and id love it if i could just flip a switch and get into that frame of mind :D It is sad though, because at work for example, as soon as 3 30 hits, thats it. I dont think about work again still im signing in the next day. With a meal though, say i miss my 9 30 meal, ill be thinking about that all day :/

Baby steps though. I DONT feel that if im not in the gym for 2 hrs a night i wont be getting a good workout anymore...so thats progress :D

The ability to change your thought process is in your head. at some point you chose to think about bodybuilding. you can choose to change how you think about it. there is no tricks other than not allowing your self to be OCD. people quit smoking with pure wilpower. you eat and train with pure willpower. that will power may come from a fear of failure in some form but you need to choose to think differently. simply stop yourself when you realize you are enguaging in a behavior you want to change. force yourself to think about something else. thats how i quit smoking and drinking. how is this for fear. if you dont change it you will never reach your goals. think about that. you are sabotaging(SP?) your own efforts. now do what im about to do. go outside, its my day off from the gym, and do something, for me i have to renew my licens, go food shopping, pick up drycleaning, get bait and go fishing. go have some fun!

Great post....couldnt agree more

i had a serious case of OCD with bodybuilding. always overthinking stuff and always looking at the clock if it was time for my next meal. Progress was there, but it didnt help my social life....Then i quit BB for 2 years due to working a full time job and going to University in the evening. On top of that i had to rebuild my own home.....
So last year i graduated, my house was rebuild and had more sparetime :) SO i decided to start BBing again. I contacted Phil and he took care of my thinking.
Now i have more fun when i am training, i eat when hungry. All i have to think about are my macro's. But thats second nature right now. But i dont freek out when i overshoot my carb intake with 1 gram. :D
And i have a social life again :D. And the funny thing is i eat less then i was used to, dont do AAS anymore, but i am stronger than ever and my improvements are noticed by training partners :)

I used to lie in bad at night mentally tweaking my workouts or for example debating with myself if GVT works or not.

Then I discovered DC training and I stopped worrying!

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear