over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Omega 3 Fish Oil tied to Prostate Cancer

phatrr

Registered
Yep, those vitamins might not be what they seem:

Brasky’s team looked at 834 of the men in the SELECT trial who developed prostate cancer, and 1,393 randomly chosen others from the trial who didn’t have cancer. They divided the men into four groups based on their blood levels of three omega-3 fatty acids – EPA, DPA and DHA.

Those with the highest blood levels had a 71 percent higher risk of high-grade prostate cancer, compared to those with the lowest levels. Overall, their risk of any kind of prostate cancer was 44 percent higher.

Source: NBC News, Fish oils may raise prostate cancer risks, study confirms - NBC News.com . Original data from the SELECT data.

well there were no specified dosages mentioned so i would say that for the average person it's still a solid supplement.

the article states that the men with the highest levels of DHA are more at risk for prostate cancer, nothing about people with average or moderately higher levels

Well, solid for what?

Prevention of CV disease? Not according to The New England Journal of Medicine, May 8, 2013 summarizing a decade long study into the effects of fish oil on CV disease.

Fish oil supplements did not prevent heart problems in people who hadn't had a heart attack yet, in a large long-term study from Italy. The study - a gold-standard randomized, controlled trial - tested the effect of omega-3 fatty acids, which are found in oily fish such as tuna or sardines. Patients in the study had risk factors for heart disease, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, a history of smoking or narrowed arteries. But patients who had a heart attack in the past weren't allowed to enroll.

Source: Reuters online (and many others) summarizing the NEJM article. **broken link removed**

I think the moral of the story is take some fish oil from a very reputable brand in rather low doses, possibly somewhat infrequently. OR, just some fish here and there. If you don't like eating fish often at all, then have some fatty fish like salmon when you do eat it. If you like eating fish more regularly, go for wild, lean white fish or shellfish.

Always better to get things from diet and in moderation, IMO.

*PS - I do take fish oil (Nordic Naturals)

Yep, those vitamins might not be what they seem:

Source: NBC News, Fish oils may raise prostate cancer risks, study confirms - NBC News.com . Original data from the SELECT data.

This study didn't look at supplementation of fish oil at all (although the media made it sound like it did), all it looked at was blood levels of omega-3s. The vast majority of people do NOT supplement fish oil, they get it from normal dietary sources, and most of these sources are high heavy metals. In fact, most fish eaten is FARMED fish.

Chances are, the majority of the people with high omega-3 levels in their blood got it from eating farmed fish (or lots of red meat). MAYBE the omega-3 is the cause, maybe the heavy metals are the cause, mabye farmed fish fed soy are the cause.

Interesting nonetheless though, nice find.

Last edited:
Didnt this whole fish oil thing get started from some study on eskimos that eat fish everyday never have heart problems?
Every time a study is done another study is done to contradict the original study
Im so confused lol

Didnt this whole fish oil thing get started from some study on eskimos that eat fish everyday never have heart problems?
Every time a study is done another study is done to contradict the original study
Im so confused lol

The discovery and understanding of how eicosanoids work is what popularized EFAs, they are just a type of micronutrient (vitamin).

So DHA is an issue? Isolate EPA and sell it as a standalone or greater ratio.
I did read some things about a month back where DHA is perhaps not as fantastic as once thought. Nothing bad about it but maybe just not responsible for as much positive as they thought.

There was a hypothesis that since EPA is found in lower amounts in the brain than DHA, perhaps EPA is the most readily available and UTILIZED therfor not ever building to levels as high.

There is a prescription drug new on the market that is just EPA for what it's worth.
One study means very little, plenty of positive research on fish oil but seems one "bad" paper on any natural supplement and its sensationalized but barely mentioned when refuted or positive studies come out.

This study didn't look at supplementation of fish oil at all (although the media made it sound like it did), all it looked at was blood levels of omega-3s. The vast majority of people do NOT supplement fish oil, they get it from normal dietary sources, and most of these sources are high heavy metals. In fact, most fish eaten is FARMED fish.

Chances are, the majority of the people with high omega-3 levels in their blood got it from eating farmed fish (or lots of red meat). MAYBE the omega-3 is the cause, maybe the heavy metals are the cause, mabye farmed fish fed soy are the cause.

Interesting nonetheless though, nice find.

Slightly better writeup here:

Study confirms link between omega-3 fatty acids and increased prostate cancer risk | Science Codex

Essentially, the blood levels in the highest risk group corresponded to eating a bit more than salmon 2x/wk.

This study confirms an earlier study, fwiw, done in 2011.

Original article will be published today in Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

So DHA is an issue? Isolate EPA and sell it as a standalone or greater ratio.
I did read some things about a month back where DHA is perhaps not as fantastic as once thought. Nothing bad about it but maybe just not responsible for as much positive as they thought.

There was a hypothesis that since EPA is found in lower amounts in the brain than DHA, perhaps EPA is the most readily available and UTILIZED therfor not ever building to levels as high.

Good point. Dr. Sears has always said that EPA and DHA should be consumed in a ratio of 2:1

Bullshit study!! Correlation does not equal causation aka it was a shitty study

Bullshit study!! Correlation does not equal causation aka it was a shitty study

That was not the whole study. Please explain how you know more than these doctors do please, thanks.

Fish oils cause cancer . .BS!

Its actually if the ratio of omega 6, the inflammatory oil, is too high compared to omega 3. Omega 3 as found in flax stops prostate and breast cancer. For men, flax seed works better than justthe oil, so I recommend this in my practice.

Here's my theory. Japanese people are some of the healthiest in the world (less the high amount of smoking though its beginning to lose popularity) and stay younger longer. Guys I work with in their 40's look like their late 20's.

What is different between Japan and tge rest of the world? A diet high in fish. Fresh fish caught straight from the ocean. My theory is fish oil is not only beneficial for general health but sustainability of youth by improving skin condition, etc.

As a result, I eat swordfish every day as my third meal. I'll report back in 15 years to let you know how things went, but so far I've got a few thousand years of societal backing. My only concern (although not too much) is with the impact of the reactor leaking into the northern ocean. Maybe I'll have the pleasure of glowing in the dark or acquiring super powers before I come home.

P.S. There have been numerous studies across multiple species that stated intact males will inevitably eventually get prostate cancer, hence why its recommended to fix male dogs. Its also been stated masterbating frequently or having sex often also isnt healthy for the prostate - better tell your wife, girlfriend, and/or rosey palm you cant give her the good stuff anymore. Fuck that.

Here's my theory. Japanese people are some of the healthiest in the world (less the high amount of smoking though its beginning to lose popularity) and stay younger longer. Guys I work with in their 40's look like their late 20's.

What is different between Japan and tge rest of the world? A diet high in fish. Fresh fish caught straight from the ocean. My theory is fish oil is not only beneficial for general health but sustainability of youth by improving skin condition, etc.

As a result, I eat swordfish every day as my third meal. I'll report back in 15 years to let you know how things went, but so far I've got a few thousand years of societal backing. My only concern (although not too much) is with the impact of the reactor leaking into the northern ocean. Maybe I'll have the pleasure of glowing in the dark or acquiring super powers before I come home.

P.S. There have been numerous studies across multiple species that stated intact males will inevitably eventually get prostate cancer, hence why its recommended to fix male dogs. Its also been stated masterbating frequently or having sex often also isnt healthy for the prostate - better tell your wife, girlfriend, and/or rosey palm you cant give her the good stuff anymore. Fuck that.

Stomach cancer is much more common in Japan than the rest of the world, they have a real problem. Genetically, they are resistant to lung cancer.

Im so confused lol

Studies come out one year and say one thing then several years later another.

It really makes me wonder how so many foods can be painted up in the news as great for you or bad for you such as the case with eggs and then a complete turn around. These a__holes taking government grant money, etc... rarely producing anything that cures and playing back and forth on whether something is good for you.

Now salmon is bad for you more than once or twice a week? bah

I think the best policy is to just eat cold water oily fish, such as salmon, herring, mackerel and anchovies in moderation.

To be honest, I would have guessed liver failure or cancer first. A lot of alcoholics in Japan and here its culturally acceptable.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear