over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OTC Supplements that help with anxiety

OuchThatHurts

Moderator / Psy, Ret.
Staff member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
If you clicked on this, you probably experience some form, even if mild, anxiety (w/or without depression) from time to time. It's cool. We all do. As a little ProM experiment, I'd like to hear from those that have used OTC supplements, foods, extracts with SUCCESS.

Should have some history with the supplement and not just, "just started and taking this and I already feel..." comments.

As blatant experimenters and voluntary lab rats as people can be, certainly this gang has tried and researches a lot. Let hear from ya!

:D :D :D

I have prescription meds for anxiety (it gets bad sometimes) but I don't like to take prescripts (irony I know) so I looked into alternatives.
to get the discussion started, you should check out the hormonal as well as ANTI anxiety effects of DHEA.
-JS

About 10 years ago I tried St. John's wort. It was out standing for about 3 months! After that I was getting terrible dull headaches and had to discontinue . To me it was a band aide for a short period of time.

I have prescription meds for anxiety (it gets bad sometimes) but I don't like to take prescripts (irony I know) so I looked into alternatives.
to get the discussion started, you should check out the hormonal as well as ANTI anxiety effects of DHEA.
-JS
who is "you"?

Ouch, I like Humanofort, and occasionally take Chewable GABA from NOW.

Ak

who is "you"?

"you" is anyone I suppose.
I found some great studies showing effectiveness of dhea on mood and anxiety for males and females. Phil Hernon was first trainer I knew who told me to take it. I never really looked up the benefits til recently when I was battling with my worst bouts of anxiety ever and dhea was in a few of my searches.
anxiety is a very complicated issue unless of course its caused by too much tren lol. so I wont offer any more advice on this thread as I don't have answers to drug induced anxiety but I do have answers for self induced/life enduced anxiety. but that's prob for another thread.....:)
-JS

Last edited:
OTC items I have not found many that work. Something that did help was Oxytocin,,I used a nasal spray form and could definitely notice a marked improvement in tension/anxiety. It gave me a mild relaxing effect.

Dhea is good if it doesn't give you estro sides.
depending on the cause of anxiety. ...
5HTP work on mild anxiety
6gr epa helps with many emotional issues anxiety is one.
Making sure your diet is high in magnesium helps as well.

Resistant starch .. Potato starch(cheap), Plantain flour or green bananas and/or flour alone or with a probiotic(recommended).

U can very quickly ramp up Butyrate levels in the gut.
I simply started to add 5-10 gm potato flour among other things to a mixed green "smothie" every day.

Was looking for a way to increase butyrate either naturally or supplemental as a natural HDACi. Supplemental NaButyrate is cost prohibitive and has a very short half life of minutes, Trichostatin A is a no, and I don't think valproic acid is sustainable over the long term, maybe few weeks at a time cycled, I'm not there yet as I'm starting moderate dose Telmisartan first...

Butyrate.
Potent natural HDACi, TrkB/BDNF agonist. NF-kB antagonist, AMPK agonist, PPAR gamma/PGC-1a agonist among many other things..

also increases GABA levels...

I wanted an HDAC inhibitor to include use it for longevity/performance optimization as well as try out first before starting RS/probiotics on my son who has major OCD..

I've used a CPAP for several years due to OSA. Sleep has improved noticeably. Vivid dreaming is ridiculous...

BTW, Curcumin is a more potent HDAC inhibitor than butyrate or valproate, but of course bioavailability is F@&$ed and I am done trying to figure it out anymore ala telmisartan ...

Last edited:
Ouch, glad you brought this subject up. Dealing with this myself to the point of panic attacks. I've had some success with green tea and passion flower.
Seemed to ease it a bit.

Last edited:
I've been seeing a lot of good feedback on Oxytocin for anxiety. 5-HTP helped me out some. Definitely a decent OTC supplement. I know you said OTC, but beta blockers helped with my anxiety and you should have no issues getting a script for it since its not a narcotic. I ran Selank for two months and I noticed a decrease in anxiety. It's also legal for research and very affordable.

Med how many mg's of 5htp were you using

Sam-E seemed to help for a while.
I don't do well with anything much stronger.

Deep breathing and meditation can go a long way. Also, simple things like passion fruit extract help a bit here and there.

Kava kava has helped in the past. Studies say it can be liver toxic and you can seriously get messed up on it...not really otc but legal. Also I only use it in times of emergency or really high stress for those reasons.

Ouch, glad you brought this subject up. Dealing with this myself to the point of panic attacks.
Seems like everyone is. I knew anxiety was widespread but had no idea it was this common. Hopefully everyone shares some helpful tips with supplements/activities that can help the average "bro".

BUT

Lexapro has changed my life......truly. Look into TRUE FOCUS from NOW foods............seems to work really well! Correct OCD and you can correct a lot of anxiety.......is that right OTH?

Lexapro has changed my life......truly. Look into TRUE FOCUS from NOW foods............seems to work really well! Correct OCD and you can correct a lot of anxiety.......is that right OTH?

lol, looking at those ingredients I dont see that doing much of anything, TBH.

Phenibut works better than anything for periodic, temporary anxiety. It resembles a benzo in results, to me at least. But it's still a band-aid approach like a benzo would be. You are not promoting/correcting mental balance.

Sam-E is a staple for me too. Not only for overall health (liver) but just to help maintain mental stability and balance brain chemistry better. This is more than a band-aid approach I think.

I have played with 5-htp pre-bed, St. John's, Rhodiola Rosea, etc. None had as drastic and immediate noticeable effect as Phenibut. But I think longterm, all are useful. There is a study showing St. John's to be slightly more effective than Prozac in a study and significantly more so than placebo (but I'm not looking that up for you guys right now). You really need to take a quality St. John's extract for a good month or two before you can really determine how it works for you, IMO.

For your guys info, Etizolam is a thienodiazepine drug which is a benzodiazepine analog. It is a LOT like a benzo. It is new and not classified by the FDA yet. It's readily available from online pharmacies without Rx so its easy and fairly cheap to obtain. I'll probably stock up. I do not have major anxiety or depression issues. I'm just a drug nerd who likes all this shit. I'd prefer to have a phenibut or a benzo and a cocktail when I go out instead of 6 cocktails too.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner