advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Over 40 - Who still does free weight barbell squats?

Do you still do free weight barbell squats after 40?

• Yes

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters

1fst400

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
If you’re under 40 pls don’t respond. Just a yay or nay from 40+. I’m 44 and still do them, but nothing below 8 reps. Not sure how much longer is really feasible with natural decline (even if enhanced).

I’m really looking to see what the shelf life is for this movement based on the members of this board. Thanks.

40 here… was a 650lb+ squatter throughout my late twenties, early 30’s. The weight has dropped steadily since roughly 37.

I think it just depends how much mileage/injuries you have under the bar. I can’t deadlift due to nerve impingement but can still squat pretty decent weight for 12-15 relatively perfect reps atg.

Like you, I stay out of trouble if I keep reps above 8-10. A little piece of me died when I had to move off deadlifting… count myself lucky to still be able to squat and still do twice weekly much of the year.

I’m not sure why you’d ever stop if it’s a good movement pattern for you and not causing pain?

I still do
Them with the SSB to a box.

I don't do barbell squats any longer as now 59 and have some early disk degeneration in my lower back plus some arthritis in my knees so I completely abandoned them 3 years ago. In its place I use a squat machine that has a pad for back support.

I’m 37..will never stop squating..there will be a day when I drop the squat bar and switch exclusively to safety squat bars and buffalo bars though

I wish i could. Not enough shoulder rotation to be able to grip the bar. Switched over the the safety squat bar if the gym has one otherwise just machine squats. And most machines i don't care for unfortunately.

Approaching 50. Still doing low bar squats in the 3-5 rep range. NO injuries so far so that's a big factor. Some pains here and there. Will continue until my body says no more.

At 48 with disc issues and this as a hobby it wasn’t worth feeling like the tin man next day at work. I never Got much out of them as I was a bad form squatter anyway. good morning the weight up once I went heavier. I only do sissy Bulgarian belt squats and a squat machine similar to a standing calf.

Back squats, SSB squats, and belt squats remain in the game and are staples in my home gym - late 40s. Don't know what I'd do without them. A leg press is a plate hoarder and a giant space. Can't fit any of the ones I'd want.

I do plan to start doing more Olympic lifts again esp high pull variants. Been planning that for a while so...

40 and still do them...but MUCH different now. I usually elevate my heels quite a bit, go down very low and slow with a fully pause and then up. Really don't ever have to go over 315 that way and I'll often pre exhaust with sissy squats or leg extensions and can pull off making 275 be heavy enough.

I always use a buffalo now though just due to discomfort in my shoulders from a straight bar.

If you’re under 40 pls don’t respond. Just a yay or nay from 40+. I’m 44 and still do them, but nothing below 8 reps. Not sure how much longer is really feasible with natural decline (even if enhanced).

I’m really looking to see what the shelf life is for this movement based on the members of this board. Thanks.
Over 50 and still do them.

59, squatted religiously until a few years ago. Driving to breakfast with my wife one morning my entire left side went numb. Thought it was a stroke. Turns out at some point years ago I fractured my neck. Probably in college playing football would be my best guess. It had arthritis build up and was pinching the nerves. Chiro has helped and the numbness has not returned. It was pretty much where the bar rests. As much as I loved squatting I like not having a paralyzed left side even better.

59, squatted religiously until a few years ago. Driving to breakfast with my wife one morning my entire left side went numb. Thought it was a stroke. Turns out at some point years ago I fractured my neck. Probably in college playing football would be my best guess. It had arthritis build up and was pinching the nerves. Chiro has helped and the numbness has not returned. It was pretty much where the bar rests. As much as I loved squatting I like not having a paralyzed left side even better.
Ever tried low bar squats?

44 still squatting. Barbell squats still my favorite til today. but belt squats, kb squats, front squats and safety bar squats are also in my routine.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131