advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Over 40 - Who still does free weight barbell squats?

Do you still do free weight barbell squats after 40?

• Yes

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters
I was a powerlifter for many years so yes.

I can't speak for you but lots of older PLs with shoulder issues like the Buffalo Bar and Mars Bar especially for this issue. Not sure if that helps but seen it a ton.

I wish i could. Not enough shoulder rotation to be able to grip the bar. Switched over the the safety squat bar if the gym has one otherwise just machine squats. And most machines i don't care for unfortunately.
Same here. Knees are very good,lower back pretty good, my shoulders are not good, can not hold the bar on my back.

Same here. Knees are very good,lower back pretty good, my shoulders are not good, can not hold the bar on my back.
I could barely grip the bar collar to collar last i tried but it was far from comfortable and that was years ago.

I could barely grip the bar collar to collar last i tried but it was far from comfortable and that was years ago.
I have that same problem but just recently out of the blue I regained the grip in my left hand as had trouble closing it tightly for at least the past six years. Now I found I can grip a barbell tightly with both hands now for deads as well as being able to finally hold a heavy db in my left hand for farmers walks!

64 here and still squat. I use one of the safety squat bar 1x per week the other the old York power bar. One thing I would recommend is using a reverse hyper machine following squats. Back in the day I was a 700lbs squatter at 181. Used to squat over 600 lbs for reps with only a belt at 200. I think iwill be doing squats till they put me in a box.

As we age we try to eliminate movements that cause pain or feel dangerous, but once we drop them we may find we are in even worse pain.

I don’t think it’s ever a good idea to keep doing movements that cause pain. Sure, try to find out why it’s causing you pain and see if that can be resolved but if not—don’t keep doing it!

“If it hurts, don’t do it” is a pretty good rule of thumb when it comes to weight training.

Is the barball squat an out dated exercise given what we now know about ergonomics and physiology ?
I put 135 on the bar today but felt good getting deep in the whole. I wrapped up and then put some sleeves on. Just trying some knee pain mitigation tips I see posted by @danieltx

Is the barball squat an out dated exercise given what we now know about ergonomics and physiology ?
I don’t necessarily think so. I gather from pros they used squats to gain massive size early on, but in order to continue growing at an elite level the load on from squats isn’t really feasible to avoid injuries. My squat isn’t to that level and my joints are doing well at my age so I’m not worried. I’m constantly trying to improve my technique for maximum tension and hypertrophy. So I don’t grip it and rip it with squats. I’d like to keep squatting into my 60s.

Mid 50’s. Old dog trying to learn new tricks. Joints/ back are still good but I had to accept that despite having great quads, I honestly think they could’ve been better with a more targeted approach. My hips n back absorb most of the weight. Just recently stopped barbell squats n deadlifts. Time will tell

I don’t necessarily think so. I gather from pros they used squats to gain massive size early on, but in order to continue growing at an elite level the load on from squats isn’t really feasible to avoid injuries. My squat isn’t to that level and my joints are doing well at my age so I’m not worried. I’m constantly trying to improve my technique for maximum tension and hypertrophy. So I don’t grip it and rip it with squats. I’d like to keep squatting into my 60s.
Speaking purely from a hypertrophy perspective I wouldn't say barbell squats are outdated, but we certainly know they're not optimal for a lot of guys - I'd actually say the majority.

Speaking purely from a hypertrophy perspective I wouldn't say barbell squats are outdated, but we certainly know they're not optimal for a lot of guys - I'd actually say the majority.
I have long femurs and high bar back squats work for me but not as well as front squats. Front squats have been a game changer for quad development.

43 y/o. I still do them and will until I can't.

I haven't gone over 3 plates a side for a few years now. Had an injury and a health scare at age 39/right before gyms closed a few years back. Was doing sets of 4-6 approaching 500#.

For what its worth, my leg press/hack squat machine will be here by the end of the month. Hahaha.

I have long femurs and high bar back squats work for me but not as well as front squats. Front squats have been a game changer for quad development.
You ever use the lil front squat apparatus from Titan? I looooove that lil contraption for doing front barbell squats.

Also love using my Kabuki Transformer Bar!

Cage

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity