advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Over 40 - Who still does free weight barbell squats?

Do you still do free weight barbell squats after 40?

• Yes

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters
Speaking purely from a hypertrophy perspective I wouldn't say barbell squats are outdated, but we certainly know they're not optimal for a lot of guys - I'd actually say the majority.
Squats were always a good lift for me when younger, but didn’t do a great deal for my legs personally

You ever use the lil front squat apparatus from Titan? I looooove that lil contraption for doing front barbell squats.

Also love using my Kabuki Transformer Bar!

Cage
No but it looks interesting that you can place the load at different points. Would make for great variations.

I'm 58 and still do squats. I keep the reps in the 12-15 range and don't go above 315. Still do good mornings, deadlifts, romanians, and cleans. I find my back and core are stronger for doing them. In my 40's I quit the above and did hacks and leg presses along with the leg machines and had back problems. When I added back squats my back got better. Of course I focus on perfect form, low and slow, proper foot placement, wear a belt, etc. My back journey taught me that limiting back movements caused more problems. Actually having a kid taught me that. My back was at its worst when my son was born and I feared what all the bending and lifting a kid would do.....and it cured my back. More than ever it reminded me that core is everything and the platform for all the upper body muscle groups we like to focus on. Stronger core means bigger biceps to me, as heavy bicep work requires a strong and stable lower back. Back problems made it hard to work biceps properly so I am happier than I have ever been with my workouts having added in all the tough lower back exercises. And can't say enough about planks.....3 mins with a 45 on my back. Seriously hope this helps someone. I struggled with back problems for 15 years and even decided to have surgery at one point, but the simplest message I have is that every time I limited myself on back, range of motion, etc I made my back weaker and problematic. I think you have to do it all in a safe, slowly progressing manner and build back your capabilities. And I'm certainly not promoting stupid ego shit we did in the gym in our 20's, just your own safe pace.

I'm 58 and still do squats. I keep the reps in the 12-15 range and don't go above 315. Still do good mornings, deadlifts, romanians, and cleans. I find my back and core are stronger for doing them. In my 40's I quit the above and did hacks and leg presses along with the leg machines and had back problems. When I added back squats my back got better. Of course I focus on perfect form, low and slow, proper foot placement, wear a belt, etc. My back journey taught me that limiting back movements caused more problems. Actually having a kid taught me that. My back was at its worst when my son was born and I feared what all the bending and lifting a kid would do.....and it cured my back. More than ever it reminded me that core is everything and the platform for all the upper body muscle groups we like to focus on. Stronger core means bigger biceps to me, as heavy bicep work requires a strong and stable lower back. Back problems made it hard to work biceps properly so I am happier than I have ever been with my workouts having added in all the tough lower back exercises. And can't say enough about planks.....3 mins with a 45 on my back. Seriously hope this helps someone. I struggled with back problems for 15 years and even decided to have surgery at one point, but the simplest message I have is that every time I limited myself on back, range of motion, etc I made my back weaker and problematic. I think you have to do it all in a safe, slowly progressing manner and build back your capabilities. And I'm certainly not promoting stupid ego shit we did in the gym in our 20's, just your own safe pace.
You hold the plank for 3mins.
Or multiple 1min sets ?

I like squats, but I can only do them sparingly due to lower back issues. I train at home so it's an issue. I have a power rack for them, but if I have lower back issues, I don't have any other alternates to go to, outside of dumbbell squats like Bulgarian, to use. I would love to get a hack squat and leg press at some point. I do have a leg extension and sitting leg curl machine. After all the gyms closed down during Covid, mine went out of business, I started buying shit for home.

I live out in the middle of BFE, but I may have to eventually head back to a gym for leg days.

I like squats, but I can only do them sparingly due to lower back issues. I train at home so it's an issue. I have a power rack for them, but if I have lower back issues, I don't have any other alternates to go to, outside of dumbbell squats like Bulgarian, to use. I would love to get a hack squat and leg press at some point. I do have a leg extension and sitting leg curl machine. After all the gyms closed down during Covid, mine went out of business, I started buying shit for home.

I live out in the middle of BFE, but I may have to eventually head back to a gym for leg days.
This was me during the lockdowns. Had a sissy squat stand thing and a power rack. Legs was squats, sissy squats (the way Doug Brignole did them) and goblet squats.

Legs in a gym was what I missed most

No but it looks interesting that you can place the load at different points. Would make for great variations.
And saves my shoulders from major pain. I stopped doing front squats due to shoulder pain. When I came across that lil harness I immediately bought it. Front squats are back in my arsenal once again! Money well spent!

Cage

I’m 37..will never stop squating..there will be a day when I drop the squat bar and switch exclusively to safety squat bars and buffalo bars though
Ok wait till you in your 50's see if you still never stop

Ok wait till you in your 50's see if you still never stop
I already have had a fake right knee and complete overhauls of my ankles, shoulders, spine, and hands..I’m gonna be dead in my 50’s brother..already too many miles on the odometer

A fake right knee? What is a fake knee anyway? Like a total knee replacement? Which if you had your def not barbell squatting any longer. Lol Or just ligament and tendon replacements? Iv had 9 knee surgeries. So I’m quite informed on knees. Every surgery slowed my roll on barbell squats a lil bit more each time. I can still squat. I just don’t rep 5-600 lbs anymore but I’m way past the point of growing new tissue. If found hacks, Sissy squats and various leg presses work as good or better anyway. You’re only 37 bro. Your ideas when you get older will change. Most young guys never think they will live long. But then all of a sudden your old and your body will be rejecting you physically for all the mistreatment youv given it. The reality of life.

Yea, I used to feel indestructible in my 20's and most of my 30's. Then nagging injuries accumulated. I've always had issues with my lower back, but it's progressively gotten worse, same with shoulders, and now i get tendonitis in my left elbows. I can still get good squat days in, but they always pend on my back now. I actually prefer hack squats anyway for quads.

If I'm going to squat, I have these ultra soft kneewraps that I put on from the beginning just warming up with the bar. I don't have serious injuries that would hinder squatting but everything just feels creaky and very uncomfortable just squatting down. Light kneewraps and I don't notice all the small kinks all over the body.

I spoke with a Physio recently and he said one of the reasons for my facet joint pain is that I no longer deadlift and he claims that deads and squats help to reverse atrophy in the little muscles that sit by the facet joints. he Said he knows it freaks people out but potentially the movement that injured you years back is probably now the movement you need to strengthen the area

Im 38. Still squat once a week. I enjoy squats and thats the main reason i still do them.

A fake right knee? What is a fake knee anyway? Like a total knee replacement? Which if you had your def not barbell squatting any longer. Lol Or just ligament and tendon replacements? Iv had 9 knee surgeries. So I’m quite informed on knees. Every surgery slowed my roll on barbell squats a lil bit more each time. I can still squat. I just don’t rep 5-600 lbs anymore but I’m way past the point of growing new tissue. If found hacks, Sissy squats and various leg presses work as good or better anyway. You’re only 37 bro. Your ideas when you get older will change. Most young guys never think they will live long. But then all of a sudden your old and your body will be rejecting you physically for all the mistreatment youv given it. The reality of life.
I remember being early 20’s and loading leg machines as much as I could for sometimes low reps. The older fellas would always say “you’re gonna feel that at my age”, at 46 I know exactly what they meant when trying to get blood into my knees even before actually training legs to lubricate them

I spoke with a Physio recently and he said one of the reasons for my facet joint pain is that I no longer deadlift and he claims that deads and squats help to reverse atrophy in the little muscles that sit by the facet joints. he Said he knows it freaks people out but potentially the movement that injured you years back is probably now the movement you need to strengthen the area
Yes, that was my experience. I stopped squatting and deadlifting, had epidurals and facet injections (which made my back feel good for a couple of months then back top square one) and it never healed anything, it just became pain management. Once I listened to a good physical therapist and slowly built back total lower body strength did my chronic back pain problems get healed. Now I focus on not removing movements and in particular keeping the big compound movements in order to keep all the small supporting muscles and tendons strong. Of course I focus on perfect form and appropriate weight limits but honestly my legs are back to where I was when I was younger. I didn't even really think it was possible until I did it. I just wanted my legs to look good at the beach, lol, and I just kept going. No doubt the journey to healthy, strong, pain free back is a long one but it is possible. I am SO glad I did not have surgery. All my friends who did are basically permanently disabled from going to the gym or engaging in sport. I also swear by the elliptical for cardio. It provides excellent movement to the lower back without the impact. Every time I have back pain I jump on the elliptical and it hurts but always feels better after. I bought one for my garage and use it about 5 days a week, in the morning fasted after 2 cups of black coffee.

Yes, that was my experience. I stopped squatting and deadlifting, had epidurals and facet injections (which made my back feel good for a couple of months then back top square one) and it never healed anything, it just became pain management. Once I listened to a good physical therapist and slowly built back total lower body strength did my chronic back pain problems get healed. Now I focus on not removing movements and in particular keeping the big compound movements in order to keep all the small supporting muscles and tendons strong. Of course I focus on perfect form and appropriate weight limits but honestly my legs are back to where I was when I was younger. I didn't even really think it was possible until I did it. I just wanted my legs to look good at the beach, lol, and I just kept going. No doubt the journey to healthy, strong, pain free back is a long one but it is possible. I am SO glad I did not have surgery. All my friends who did are basically permanently disabled from going to the gym or engaging in sport. I also swear by the elliptical for cardio. It provides excellent movement to the lower back without the impact. Every time I have back pain I jump on the elliptical and it hurts but always feels better after. I bought one for my garage and use it about 5 days a week, in the morning fasted after 2 cups of black coffee.
Good stuff! Love reading these type of posts filled with victory.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131