over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OXYCONTIN MAKER BUSTED!!!!

Jerkyboy

Registered
Can't believe this hasnt been posted yet, its pretty big news. Found it wierd though that it wasnt on any of the local TV news shows or the local papers. Saw it on one of the 24-Hour news channels about a week ago.

btw- the TV news show said something like the $634 million fine is only 6 weeks worth of revenue from this product! Its thats not a slap on the wrist I dont know WTF is! oh yeah, plus NO JAIL TIME

must be nice to be rich
:mad:
---------------------------------------------------------

PHARMACEUTICALS

Drug maker admits misleading public

Purdue Pharma and three executives will pay $634.5 million over OxyContin claims.

By Martin Zimmerman, Times Staff Writer (latimes.com)
May 11, 2007

The maker of the painkiller OxyContin and three of the company's top current and former executives will pay $634.5 million in fines after pleading guilty Thursday to charges that they misled the public about the drug.

A Justice Department spokeswoman said it was one of the largest financial penalties ever assessed against a drug maker.

Stamford, Conn.-based Purdue Pharma was accused of making claims that OxyContin was less addictive and less subject to abuse than other pain medications and continued to do so despite warnings to the contrary from doctors, the media and members of its own sales force.

"In the process, scores died as a result of OxyContin abuse and an even greater number became addicted to OxyContin," U.S. Atty. John Brownlee of the Western District of Virginia, whose office brought the case, said in a statement.

The charges stemmed from sales practices used from 1996 to mid-2001.

It was the latest black eye for OxyContin, a drug that has been linked to hundreds of overdose deaths and is a favorite of drugstore thieves and illicit online drug buyers. Called by such street names as hillbilly heroin and oxy, the drug has been linked to celebrities including conservative radio commentator Rush Limbaugh and singer/actress Courtney Love.

Perdue Pharma pleaded guilty to one felony count of fraudulently misbranding a drug. Chief Executive Michael Friedman, general counsel Howard Udell and former Chief Scientific Officer Paul D. Goldenheim each pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count of misbranding a pharmaceutical.

Under the agreement, Perdue Pharma will pay $600 million in penalties, including $160 million to reimburse state and federal healthcare programs and $130 million to resolve private lawsuits that are pending.

The three executives will pay $34.5 million in fines to Virginia.

Perdue Pharma, which sold $1.3 billion worth of OxyContin in 2004, accepted responsibility for its actions and said it had taken steps to prevent a recurrence of the problems.

The guilty pleas came two days after the company agreed to pay $19.5 million to 26 states, including California, to settle complaints that it encouraged doctors to over-prescribe the drug.

OxyContin is a trade name for oxycodone, a powerful opiate also marketed under such brand names as Percocet and Percodan. It is prescribed as a time-release pill designed to be swallowed whole and digested over a 12-hour period.

Oxycodone is a staple in the management of chronic pain, especially for cancer patients. When crushed and injected, snorted or swallowed, however, the medication's time-release effects are short-circuited, producing a heroin-like high.

The federal government estimates that of the almost 500,000 emergency room visits attributed to abuse of pharmaceuticals in 2004, more than 36,000 involved oxycodone.

Stolen from medicine cabinets or ordered illegally online, prescription drugs have become a favorite of high school and college students, ranking second only to marijuana among abused drugs, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

"They don't have the stigma of heroin or cocaine," DEA spokesman Garrison Courtney said. "They think because it's something doctors use, it doesn't have the same risks associated with those other drugs."

Last month, a robber cleaned out a Costa Mesa drugstore's entire stock of OxyContin. A few weeks earlier, a man was arrested in connection with a string of Orange County pharmacy burglaries in which OxyContin was among the targeted drugs.

Last spring, Limbaugh settled a drug fraud charge related to whether he had illegally obtained OxyContin. Love pleaded guilty to possessing the drug without a proper prescription.

Also Thursday, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned consumers not to use True Man or Energy Max dietary supplements, which are touted as treatments for erectile dysfunction. The agency said the products, which it said were distributed by America True Man Health Inc. of West Covina, contained ingredients that could lower blood pressure to dangerous levels in some users.

The company could not be reached for comment.

Attachments

• oxy.jpg
    oxy.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
Thats one of the largest fine's ive ever seen anyone get. I would sure hope there would be no jailtime with a fine like that.

Send me some of that money, shit landed me in rehab lol

SAD, I know a dozen people addicted to this...it runs their life and they cannot get off it.

When crushed and injected, snorted or swallowed, however, the medication's time-release effects are short-circuited, producing a heroin-like high.
.........and it feels GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Hell, I was popin 2 of those big tabs every 3 hours after my hernia surgery and never had a problem getting off of it. I still have a bottle of about 20 tablets or so in my medicine cabinet that I saved just in case I pull a muscle bad or something.

IM FROM NEW JERSEY AND A LOT OF PEOPLE DIED FROM THIS SHIT I DONT KNOW MAN ITS JUST LIKE STREET DRUGS I WAS ONTHEM WHEN I BROKE MY LEG KICK BOXING AND I FELT IT WHEN I CAME OFF THEM.:st:r-wars

My Mom has been sick for a long time and about 7 years ago she used to get big ass bottles of this prescribed to her...In college I was a triple Jumper and I had really bad tendonitis in my knees...she would send me Oxys and I would take them for my tendonitis never knowing that I could get addicited to themmmI had no idea what they were just knew they made me feel good and my knees didnt hurt....

The fine that is given to the company won't be anything compared to the profit they have already made.

I had a friend taht was 380lbs and they gave him 120s (highest strength they make). they had him on for 6 months straight...he was hit by a drunk driver and had a titanium rod put into his femur...the family doc found out he was on the for six months and just took them away from him...

I told him to expec tthe worse and to take 3 days sick leave from work. He cvalled me and my friend over to his home...we found him in snow pants and a winter coat...it was mid August and 97 degrees outside. HE could not figure out if he was going to shit himself or piss himself...I said welcome to the life of a heroin addict.

The withdrawals are the worst, you get very very dopesick, just like with heroin, about the same

I was on oxy's for 4 weeks after my knee surgery.
Just made me groggy.
Way too long to kick in, that's why many people crush or snort and shoot them (the addicts).

The fine is bullshit, why punish the pharm company?
Purdue is less than 2 hrs for me and I know a ton of people who have lost their jobs over the years lately because it's gone generic-so less production/sales=lay offs.

They were supposed to be working on a new formulation that if the tablet was crushed the acitve ingredient would break down, but it never worked.

In the article it states " a favorite among drug store theives". A buddy was going into a local drug store to pick his script up of 30 pills. The young tech behind the counter had called her boyfriend and he was waiting outside the door behind a column. My buddy walked out to have a tire iron and baseball bat crush his skull into pieces, broke his jaw and all of his front teeth out, broke all his ribs on one side dislocated his shoulder, shattered his arm and popped his eye out of socket. Untill a few months ago I did not realize how much of a problem pills like this have become and what one is willing to do, willing to spend on them and how they use them. Add this to the list of things to talk with your little ones about.

yea that fine is massive!...

sad to see what oxy's do to people tho..

SAD, I know a dozen people addicted to this...it runs their life and they cannot get off it.

In Canada, is VERY difficult to get your hands on as no reputable doctor will prescribe it. It's hard enough to get Tyl3's here!

But I do know people who have spend in the upwards of $11/tab because they're so addicted to the stuff - it's a real money maker in the black market.

In Canada, is VERY difficult to get your hands on as no reputable doctor will prescribe it. It's hard enough to get Tyl3's here!

But I do know people who have spend in the upwards of $11/tab because they're so addicted to the stuff - it's a real money maker in the black market.

Hum, I have 20 tabs in my medicine cabinet. Thats over $200 on the street, wow!

That stuff is legal dope. The withdrawal is brutal and frightening. Someone close to me is living it as we speak.

Monte

hmmm...

Well what will be interested is to watch to see how many dr.s will appeal their charges of over prescribing etc etc -- because they can blame Purdue for misleading them.

Oxycodone is a powerful painkiller that works miracles for people with real pain -- problem is that most people ham it up with dr.s about their pain, then get a script, then sell them on the street.

This subject is shrouded in hypocrisy -- the govt. tells people how deadly it can be, etc etc.. WELL WHAT ABOUT ALCOHOL??? There is ZERO comparison in deaths resulting from alcohol... it just makes no sense at all.

Steak -- the strongest oc made is actually 160mg -- they come in 10, 20, 40, 80, and 160...the 160's were taken off the market but just recently they were manufactured again but only for a select few patients -- burn victims and such.

Opiates are probably the most addictive substance known to man. Purdue knows what they are selling. And they got filthy rich doing it.

Only $11 per tab? U guys dont get out much do ya?:eek:

I know guys that pay $60-80 for 1 x 80mg tablet!:eek:

Buy 100 tabs for $40 each, sell them for $80 each, u just made $4000 for a couple days work :D

Now u know why the crimes on the street happen like they do for this product.

Big money maker for sure, but too bad it ruins peoples lives and kills people in the process. What do they say, "money is the root of all evil"??

There u go, just answered my own inner Q's regarding our great government. Someone else said it best "if there is big $$ to be made, the government will get its hand in the cookie jar somehow"

**sorry, got off topic there for a bit **

I can't believe Oxy's remain legal with a script, yet anabolic steroids remain banned outright... sometimes I just dont understand this world.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131