R.I.P. Chris Dickerson

Durro

Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Sponsors

586B8BA4-C58E-4BEF-95B1-75F4AF81866B.jpeg

Chris Dickerson won the 1982 Mr. Olympia title.​

Bodybuilding legend and former Olympia champion Chris Dickerson has passed away at the age of 82. It was reported by RXMuscle on Thursday night that Dickerson had been living in a rehab facility after suffering a stroke and passed away due to pneumonia.

In August of 2019, Dickerson suffered a broken hip after a fall. While in the hospital, Dickerson had a heart attack and contracted COVID-19 while recovering.

Chris Dickerson was one of the best bodybuilders of all-time and broke many barriers. He was the first openly gay professional bodybuilder and Olympia champion. Dickerson was also the first African-American winner of the Olympia and Mr. America competitions.

He was the sixth winner of the Olympia competition. The event began in 1965 when Larry Scott took home the title. In 17 years, there was a total of five winners — Scott, Sergio Oliva, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Franco Columbu, and Frank Zane. After two second-place finishes in 1980 and 1981, Dickerson was able to win gold in 1982.

Chris Dickerson did not start competing until he was 27. In 1966, Dickerson won three of the four contests he entered. This jumpstarted what would become a legendary career. Dickerson would go onto win the 1968 AAU Mr. USA and 1970 AAU Mr. America championships. He added the title during the 1973 and 1974 NABBA Mr. Universe competitions.

In 1979, Dickerson competed in his first IFBB Pro League competition. This was a victory during the Canada Pro Cup. Dickerson appeared in the Olympia that year and finished fourth — with Zane winning the title. He would go onto finish second to Schwarzenegger during the 1980 Olympia and Columbu during the 1981 competition.

Chris Dickerson saw great success in 1980 and 1981 when he won a total of nine shows with eight runner-up finishes. He did not compete following his Olympia title until 1984. This is when he returned to the Olympia stage and finished 11th. Dickerson’s final competition came in 1994 where he won the Over 50 division in the Masters Olympia.

Dickerson is the fifth Olympia champion to pass away. This is less than two months after 2018 Olympia champ Shawn Rhoden tragically passed away. Dickerson will be remembered as one of the best of all-time.

We send our condolences to family and friends of Chris Dickerson during this difficult time.

RIP Used to see him back in the early 90s at World Gym NYC training clients.

RIP another brother gone 🙏 bless his family

Rest in peace Mr. Dickerson...we just keep losing past greats, not just in this sport, but sports in general, music, film, etc.

82 is a pretty good run especially being in BB and also involved in other high risk communities. Those elbows were crazy. Side effects of the old school 1st generation HGH from cadavers.

A wonderful man. A class act. He will be missed. I did not know he was
sick. I hope his passing was painless and his family and friends are
dealing with his passing in the best way possible. I think he would have
wanted that. He lived a very full life.

I met Chris very briefly at Golds Gym in Santa Monica. He had just retired
I think, but still training. I was at the gym after it closed to pick up one of
the managers to go to a bodybuilding show and Chris was there training
in the empty gym.

He had his own key and liked to train solo at night. We exchanged a few words,
(I was in awe, probably tongue tied . . . hard to believe) and I watched him workout,
even spotted him on a set or two, only because there was nobody else in the gym.
He was in full sweats so no way to tell what his physique as like, but not huge (never
was) but you could tell he was a bodybuilder. Good memories.

RIP. Him and the blonde bomber got to see there 80's.

Mr. Dickerson RIP

The game will never forget you. Legend.

Nothing but pure respect for the man and his accomplishments. The bodybuilding community has lost a true icon. Prayers and blessings to any and all family he has in their time of mourning.

Sad to se another great pass. Never heard a bad thing about him.

RIP.

RIP

RIP, Chris Dickerson!:(

Such a great physique and competitor. 82 is a respectable age! Hope he was able to enjoy most of it.

RIP to the legend. When I was a kid I was in awe of this guy and others from his era. The seemed invincible. But, the fact is Father Time has taken on all challengers and is undefeated. OK, except for the entire Jesus resurrection thing...but that was an anomaly ;-)

Man RIP

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner