over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Shoulder injury

Boer

Newbies
About 6 weeks ago my shoulder started hurting when doing shoulder presses. Any other exercise was fine, till about 2-3 weeks ago. So I stopped doing shoulders for about 5 weeks now since it hurts too much, but now I can't even do incline bench and a few other exercises without my shoulder hurting. I have full range of motion with no pain only when I workout esp pushing weight upwards. I had a MRI done last Monday and my doctor told me that the result show some thickening of the tissue called the capsule around the subacromial space.

Any of you guys have experience this and what is the repair method and time frame? I have an appointment with an Orthopedic on Thursday, but just thought I would do a little research myself.

if thats a fancy way of say (impingment) the only thing that helps mine short of surgery is regular shoulder stretches and glucosamine chonndroitin. and i still do light weight on incline and shoulder press military press. naproxen will help with inflamation as well.

I deal with the same thing alot im in a wheelchair so i use my shoulders all the time streching and certain excersises for the rotater cuff help anti inflamitorys ice massage and keeping it light for a while gh has helped me alot also

Boer..
I have the same thing.. my started during my sleep, I had my arm extended while in a prone position, and I awoke with a cramp, so I pulled my shoulder back down and thats what triggered my off.
I knew it wasn't a Rotator Cuff injury, it wasn't the long head of the Biceps, it was the capsule/bursa that was inflamed I couldn't do presses of any kind.
Say an Orthopeadic Surgeon, he confirmed what I thought.
I did gentle stretches, avoided what hurt, and then finally I went for a Cortisone shot in the area that hurt, I had mine done under fluoroscopy so we could see the exact placement of the medicine.
My Shoulder feels much better, but not quite all better, it has been a week since the shot

a lot of times it happens when your labrum fails or rips....sucks...happened to me....leads to shoulder instability and sometimers an occassional dislocation....oonly thing that will help, at least for me, is to strengthen the surrounding deltoid area....so should (ball and socket) won't slip!

Thanks for the input guys... I am sure it's cause by not stretching enough before my workouts. I will focus on strengthening the area and maybe go the Cortisone route, depending on what the Orthopedic say tomorrow.

The only thing that seems to help me avoid all my shoulder issues is getting a deep tissue massage once a month and hitting the chiropractor before shoulders and warming up good. I think keeping everything tension free and in proper alignment really helps with the shoulder joint and tendons etc.

It's been 3.5 months since my shoulder started to hurt. I have lost a lot of size and strength, since I can't lift heavy anymore and it's just getting worse. Mostly with shoulder presses and I feel the pain from the back of my shoulder running into my bicep.

I had a MRI done and the only thing that the orthopedic could see was arthritis and thickening of the tissue. He suggested to do arthroscopy surgery to see what's wrong and then fix it.

I am also on accutane and my dermatologist told me today that the surgery can leave a bad scar cause of the accutane and it's not recommended to have surgery for 6 months after using accutane.

Anyone here have any experience with accutane and surgery and what are your thoughts about the arthroscopy surgery?

I just want to get back in the gym asap...

I've had both shoulders scoped. Go ahead suck it up and have it done, cortizone is a short lived relief and my pain came back worse afterwards. Impingement can lead to rotator cuff issues if you allow it to go on long enough. Usually 6 weeks is the norm before you can start lifting again, and you'll need to start back gradual. You'll also have to incorporate rotator cuff strengthening exercises and stretches to your routine. After having both shoulders done I can tell you from my experience it is worth getting it fixed early on. My right shoulder I waited 4 years before biting the bullet to have it scoped. My left was within 3 months of the intial pain... World of difference in being able to recovery quicker. My right shoulder the joint capsule was heavily inflamed, I mean HEAVILY inflamed, alot of my recovery on it was just allowing my shoulder to rest and heal. My left within 2 weeks I only had minimal pain. I'm currently about 3 months out from left surgery and I feel good. I avoid a few exercises for now that aggravate but I'm back to around 85%, I'm taking my time making sure to not over do it. Sorry for the long post, hope this helps.;)

You got exactly what I had. I had pain for 9 months and during that time tried cortisone injections, physio etc etc.

In Dec 10 I had a decompression of the subacromial joint. Surgeon cleared out arthritis and took 2 cm off the joint. All done using keyhole surgery, 3 small scars is all I have now.

Rehab was supposed to be 12 weeks but I was back lifting heavy after 6. Losing size didn't happen. Strength was lost but it comes back quick enough.

I'm back to 90% strength in pressing overhead or incline presses. I don't expect much more than this so Im happy with the results.

Shoulder clicks sometimes and stability with a heavy dumbell is an issue but from experiencing constant burning pain in the shoulder and all down my arm before the surgery I can live with a few clicks.

Get the surgery done cos the pain will never go away. Good luck :)

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it...

I am waiting for a call now, to schedule the surgery. I have also been doing rotator cuff strengthening exercises and stretches since the pain started so I will just keep on doing that when I get back in the game.

What did you guys do for the 6 weeks that you weren't allowed to use your shoulder? I was thinking that this might be a good time to catch up with my legs and calves... WIll it be worth it by doing legs and calves 3 x a week, or is that too much.

You also might want to look into active release therapy if you have a chiro nearby, this solved my shoulder problems but mine werent as severe as yours sound

I've dislocated my left shoulder several times (by far the worst pain I've ever felt), with that said, don't keep pushing yourself to the point where something definitely bad will be the outcome.

What worked for me is taking a medicine ball (or one of those large balloon like balls-that carry little to no weight) and place it firmly against any wall at your house or the gym. Then with your palm against ball "write your ABC's" with it. My physical therapist taught me this, and has been a life saver!

Hope my 2 cents help you bro. :headbang:

You also might want to look into active release therapy if you have a chiro nearby, this solved my shoulder problems but mine werent as severe as yours sound

I am having similar issues as I put in another thread but if you do not mind, I'd like to ask the same question here.

Does ART work? There is a place that speicalizes in it not far from me.

ART actually did work wonders for me. I've had shoulder pain for years and even after the first session it felt noticeably better. I'm sure it would depend on the type of injury/impingement but it actually did work for me - and I wasn't sure it would. I had about 10 sessions and I'm back to 90% strength without pain. Who would've thought!

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it...

I am waiting for a call now, to schedule the surgery. I have also been doing rotator cuff strengthening exercises and stretches since the pain started so I will just keep on doing that when I get back in the game.

What did you guys do for the 6 weeks that you weren't allowed to use your shoulder? I was thinking that this might be a good time to catch up with my legs and calves... WIll it be worth it by doing legs and calves 3 x a week, or is that too much.

Have a break from the gym for a few weeks, give your CNS a rest, eat some food, do something different.
Many of us don't realise the benefits of taking time off from lifting weights. Your body will thank you for it.

It was nice to sit down on a night without any aches, pains or strains..........even if it was only for a few weeks :D

Have a break from the gym for a few weeks, give your CNS a rest, eat some food, do something different.
Many of us don't realise the benefits of taking time off from lifting weights. Your body will thank you for it.

It was nice to sit down on a night without any aches, pains or strains..........even if it was only for a few weeks :D

Wise words. I usually do this only when cornered :p but truly good advice

Wise words. I usually do this only when cornered :p but truly good advice

Cheers M. Yeah, I was cornered so the advice was easy to take :)

Thanks for the advice... Your right my body will thank me. I truly need a break, and hope to come back strong and hit it hard, after easing in my shoulder again.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws