over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Signature Pharmacy Probe now targeting Rick Collins as well

Massive G

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Seems they are pinning him as the advisor to the HRT Pharms and trying to crucify him-
**broken link removed**

Adviser to pharmacies in steroids case identified
Attorneys in probe say well-known Long Island lawyer provided expertise about how targeted companies should operate

By BRENDAN J. LYONS, Senior writer

First published: Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Long Island lawyer who built a nationally renowned criminal-defense practice around steroid use has emerged as a legal adviser behind a maze of Florida pharmacies and wellness centers that were raided by authorities last week.

Former amateur bodybuilder Rick Collins, the author of "Legal Muscle: Anabolics in America" and a self-described expert in sports drug defense and nutritional supplements, allegedly provided legal advice and an operational framework to several of the people and companies targeted in the sprawling criminal case, attorneys in the case said.

Collins is a staunch advocate of steroid use in general, who believes the drugs have been wrongly criminalized. He's testified before Congress on the issue and emerged in recent years as a central figure in a subculture that also believes steroids and other similar drugs are more beneficial than harmful.

Collins and his law clerk dispense legal advice on the Internet where participants discuss issues such as where to get steroids and what to do if they're arrested for drug possession.

In recent years, Collins was best known as one of the attorneys for Patrick Arnold, who was convicted as a co-conspirator in the BALCO Laboratories case in San Francisco, in which allegations of widespread use of performance-enhancing drugs by professional athletes, including baseball star Barry Bonds, were exposed by the San Francisco Chronicle.

Collins' client list also includes Signature Compounding Pharmacy of Orlando, which prosecutors have characterized as a central target in their ongoing crackdown on pharmacies that are part of a suspected nationwide illicit supply line of controlled substances, according to sources in the case.

So far, more than 15 residents of New York and Florida, including several doctors and pharmacists, have been charged under felony indictments filed in Albany County. District Attorney David Soares said more arrests are pending and he has said that Signature's client lists includes "many" pro athletes and celebrities.

But after prosecutors unveiled their case during a series of raids and arrests nearly two weeks ago, several defense attorneys have begun raising questions about whether their clients had criminal intentions. They said some defendants believe they were operating legally because of assurances they claim Collins had been making to them in the days and months leading up to the raids.

"They were referred to him and they paid him legal fees for advice on the proper way to operate their business, and I emphasize the proper way," said Terence L. Kindlon, an Albany attorney representing Dr. Gary Brandwein, of Boca Raton, Fla., who was arrested last week.

John P. Contini, a Fort Lauderdale attorney for owners of one of several wellness centers that funneled business to Signature Pharmacy, said his clients shut down their operation last week amid fears they might be arrested.

Contini said his clients, whom he declined to identify, told him the blueprint for their operation was crafted by Collins.

The wellness center operators hired Collins on the advice of Robert and Naomi Loomis, both pharmacists and the owner-operators of Signature Pharmacy, Contini said.
Robert and Naomi Loomis, who are married, were arrested Feb. 27 along with Robert Loomis' brother, Kenneth, also a pharmacist at Signature, and Kirk Calvert, Signature's marketing director.

Collins did not return telephone calls last week seeking comment. He has not been identified as a target in the investigation and is not accused of violating any laws, prosecutors said.

Marc Gann, Collins' law partner, said Saturday their firm is assisting attorneys who are defending Signature Pharmacy's operators in the criminal case. He did not directly address the allegations being made about Collins by other attorneys in the case.

"It just strikes me as bizarre what many of these people are saying," Gann said, declining further comment.

However, lawyers for several Florida residents indicted or under investigation contend Collins helped devise the framework for the intertwined businesses, and he allegedly gave them legal advice.

Authorities in the case said up to 24 people are expected to be arrested in Albany for drug- and prescription-related charges before it's over. The case is built around a New York law requiring a face-to-face consultation between a physician and patient before the doctor can issue a prescription.

Some attorneys have challenged whether that law applies to cases in which a patient in New York consults with a doctor in another state. However, prosecutors allege the defendants in this case conspired to break laws and set up a system in which everyone involved, including doctors, knew they were writing prescriptions for people who lacked a valid medical purpose for getting the drugs.

In some instances, authorities said, the Web-based companies paid doctors thousands of dollars a week or up to $50 per prescription to "rubber stamp" their signatures and DEA numbers on the prescriptions. Information obtained during a 60-day wiretap of Signature's business last year showed that one doctor had written 3,100 prescriptions in a 60-day period.

In the case, investigators said they've uncovered a maze of pharmacies and Web-based wellness centers that were engaged in bidding wars for the participating doctors. The upshot is that thousands of unwarranted prescriptions, especially for steroids, human growth hormone and other performance-enhancing drugs, were being distributed nationwide, including to professional athletes.

Internet-based companies such as Palm Beach Rejuvenation in Jupiter, Fla., had "boiler rooms" set up where mostly young men, with no medical backgrounds, would field phone calls and e-mails from prospective customers. The workers crafted prescription plans that were faxed or e-mailed to doctors who then signed the slips with no real doctor-patient relationship, authorities said.

Signature Pharmacy was the main supplier for these companies, officials said, dispensing an untold number of prescriptions through express-mail couriers.

Charles R. Holloman, an Ocala, Fla., attorney defending Dr. Robert Carlson, one of the doctors used by Palm Beach Rejuvenation, questioned his client's culpability following Carlson's recent arraignment on a multicount felony indictment.

Holloman held up documents he said were sent to his client last fall by Signature Pharmacy asserting that everything being done was legal.

"Signature, as sure as the devil, had to know something about what's going on," Holloman said, adding: "I'm not throwing off on them. We're responsible for whatever we're responsible for ... (but) they're giving a legal opinion ... and they're not lawyers."

A week before the raids, Collins visited Signature Pharmacy and Palm Beach Rejuvenation, a source in the case confirmed.

When agents stormed Signature Pharmacy on Feb. 27, they discovered notes on workers' desks with call-lists of attorneys in case they were raided by the Drug Enforcement Administration or Food and Drug Administration.

Over the past two months, Albany attorneys retained by Signature Pharmacy before anyone was arrested had called prosecutors here trying to get them to disclose whether there was a grand jury investigation.

James E. Long, an Albany attorney who represents Palm Beach Rejuvenation's owners, brothers Glen and George Stephanos, declined to confirm they hired Collins for legal advice. However, another person familiar with the company said the Stephanos brothers had retained Collins.

Long said his clients had a high confidence their business was complying with the law. "They had consulted with New York counsel, who I'm not at liberty to disclose," Long said.

Long said a "majority" of Palm Beach Rejuvenation's prescriptions were forwarded to Signature Pharmacy. Investigators in the case said Signature's business, fueled by its booming Internet-based clients, saw its sales revenue jump from $500,000 in 2002 to nearly $40 million last year.

Contini, whose clients shut down their Fort Lauderdale wellness center last week, said they told him Collins had helped set up the blueprint for their business after they paid him a $1,500 retainer and additional fees related to Collins' $500-an-hour rate. The wellness center was a referral agency for Signature, and workers at Signature also steered business to the company, according to transcripts of wiretaps filed in the case.

"I believe he (Collins) is going to end up needing a lawyer himself," Contini said.

Contini contacted Albany County prosecutors last week, pledging his clients' cooperation in exchange for a deal that might prevent them from being charged in the case. Albany County Assistant District Attorney Christopher Baynes confirmed prosecutors are in discussions with Contini. He declined further comment except to say his office is consulting with federal prosecutors who may be conducting a parallel investigation involving Contini's clients.

The Fort Lauderdale wellness center operators are ready to tell authorities about the legal advice they received from Collins during a conference call witnessed by four people, Contini said.

Brendan J. Lyons can be reached at 454-5547 or by e-mail at [email protected]."

The witch hunt continues..........

You know...the person that wrote this article and the publisher of it need to be SHOT. I was really all into it and thinking they were about to throw the cuffs on Collins until I read this - "He has not been identified as a target in the investigation and is not accused of violating any laws, prosecutors said."

SO WTF IS THAT ALL ABOUT? Publishing an article like that when the guy hasn't been accused of anything!

Mack, that is exactly what I thought. This has turned into a witch hunt big time. Its good to know all these resources and big money are being used to hunt down such menaces to society.

They conducted a wire-tap for 60(!) days?! That's crazy. And the mere thought that they would even consider going after Collins is insane as well. Lawyers are paid lots of money all the time to advise clients how to walk the thin line between aggressive business practices and violating the law. Some attorneys charge ten of thousands for opinion letters, advising a client that their conduct is legal. If it turns out the attorney was wrong, people can seek recourse in a malpractice action, but a criminal prosecution is unheard of. This is just plain insanity. I see that the way they are trying to spin it is that Collins knew his clients were breaking the law and he advised them how to do it, which would make him a co-conspirator rather than an innocent legal adviser. This government disgusts me.

yea, and its gonna be funny as hell when most of these people being indicted get off and lawsuits a brought againest those that abused docotor/patient confidentiality. the reporter talks about rick collins like he is some crazed rogue lawyer, lol.

Last edited:
What this says to me is that there are many people who want/enjoy the benefits of HRT. The article said sales in 2002 were $200k vs. the current $40m a year! That's HUGE! Doesn't that say something to anyone? Imagine if you could discuss this openly with your doctor and get prescribed and monitored without being humiliated as if you were a junky. It's really a flawed system.

Make no mistake though. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Big pharma has a HUGE hand in the government and their lobby is well funded, trust me. Where do you think these congressmen and senators are getting all these percs??? Planes, boats, multi-million dollar homes, etc. Do you know what the salary is for a senator? It's less than most of us make. If you knew the amount of private jets to the Bahamas or wherever paid for by Merck or Smithkline Beechem for these politicians' "family vacations", you'd be sick to your stomach.

That's why my home is clean and I'm currently off. I'm waiting for this storm to blow over. Once this gets to be old news and the media doesn't score any points for these stories, then things will start to change - how newsworthy is even a large meth bust these days? You rarely even hear about it. AAS are just in the limelight now because of a few high-profile athletes. People will eventually go back to the "Another steroid bust? Who gives a shit!" mentality.

Right now, Rx meds (Vicodin, Percocet, Testosterone, Xanax, etc.) are hot topic. The whole "Your kids aren't getting drugs from dealers any more, they're getting them from your own medicine cabinet." The big money players have the government, the media, and finally the people, all nicely set up to be easily played like a finely tuned instrument.

Now they can paint anything with that brush. Another one is "Does your child's friend's house have a gun in it?"

So lock up your medicine cabinets, alcohol cabinets, and guns people! Don't worry about explaining to your children these things and explaining how deadly they are and teach them to show respect for them. Forget teaching them altogether. Amateur school psychologists will do that for you now and you can rest assured you'll be able to tell your friends at the office that your kid get's straight A's since now the kid's on the Adderal and Ritalin and sees the therapist 3 times a fucking week. Life is good!

I hope people wake up soon because we're becoming a police state. So much for all that thinking "outside the box" shit. You better think and act "inside the box" or you're going to have your rights taken away.

Your PAPERS please!!!

OuchThatHurts said:
Do you know what the salary is for a senator? It's less than most of us make.

Acutally Ouch if you're talking about US senator, they make damn good money. I think their yearly salary is around 170k a year now. I'll double check though.

EDIT- yup 165k a year.. wow.. good thing I risked my life in Iraq for a measly 27k per year..Let the witch hunt end.. there's other things in the US we need to fix like this inequality with the senate..

Last edited:
OuchThatHurts said:
What this says to me is that there are many people who want/enjoy the benefits of HRT. The article said sales in 2002 were $200k vs. the current $40m a year! That's HUGE! Doesn't that say something to anyone? Imagine if you could discuss this openly with your doctor and get prescribed and monitored without being humiliated as if you were a junky. It's really a flawed system.
To me it's pretty obvious a lot of the gear wasn't going towards legitimate HRT treatment, though. I kind of doubt Ronnie and Victor were prescribed around 100mg of test per week, if you know what I mean.

Collins himself has spoken on this topic previously. Here's a Collins quote which Massive G posted on Mayhem:
"Prescribing growth hormone for non-medical reasons, including performance enhancement or 'anti-aging' in the absence of medical need, is illegal," says Mr. Collins. "But nothing in the statute restricts physicians from treating diseases or other recognized medical conditions for which the use of growth hormone has been authorized by the FDA. Any implication that the statute was intended to prohibit hormone replacement in mature, clinically deficient adults is incorrect."
He has also said the same about steroids. HRT is not about "cycling" or stacking several steroids for muscle gain.

IF this was legal it would mean steroids were completely legal right now. All you had to do was get an easy script through the multitude of "HRT" web sites. Like one site advertises "Almost every adult qualifies". :rolleyes:

"Contini contacted Albany County prosecutors last week, pledging his clients' cooperation in exchange for a deal that might prevent them from being charged in the case. Albany County Assistant District Attorney Christopher Baynes confirmed prosecutors are in discussions with Contini. He declined further comment except to say his office is consulting with federal prosecutors who may be conducting a parallel investigation involving Contini's clients.

The Fort Lauderdale wellness center operators are ready to tell authorities about the legal advice they received from Collins during a conference call witnessed by four people, Contini said."

How many "rats" will come out of this whole mess I wonder? $40m. That's a good amount of money we're talking about.
I don't understand why all these athletes used only this one pharma except to say they must have held a lot of the pharma grade supply for the East Coast?

littlemack said:
You know...the person that wrote this article and the publisher of it need to be SHOT. I was really all into it and thinking they were about to throw the cuffs on Collins until I read this - "He has not been identified as a target in the investigation and is not accused of violating any laws, prosecutors said."

SO WTF IS THAT ALL ABOUT? Publishing an article like that when the guy hasn't been accused of anything!

They do the same thing to athletes and politicians every day. The media has no morals.

I believe the entire shooting match is so politically motivated it isn't funny. We are approaching an election year aren't we? the fat cat politicians need to make a very public statement about how they are on top of the drug problem! They aren't even dealing with the ice epidemic that is spreading across the USA and killing thousands of young people. Ruining the lives of countless others. They sit on capital hill and rant and rave about how ridding our society of performance enhancing drugs is good for the country, It's good for society and we should all get life sentences for being a part of this culture. They treat aas in same category as Heroin and ice but ignore those that produce and peddle this shit to the youth and instead need to make examples of responsible adults that have made a choice to improve their quality of life thru supplements and exercise. Yep makes complete sense to me!! OTH ids right on the money, POLICE STATE. Soon you will have to undergo body cavity searches just to cross the state line! He is also correct in saying "it's going to get a lot worse before it will ever get better". Oz is nothing more than a puppy on a lead following the USA's take on this as well. Maybe it's time for another revolution or a civil war or something!! Take back our rights and make the streets safe for our kids! I can see a good reason for vigilantes to roam the streets and get rid of the real criminals while the feds do absolutely fuck all about the real crime!!

ghostdog128 said:
Acutally Ouch if you're talking about US senator, they make damn good money. I think their yearly salary is around 170k a year now. I'll double check though.

EDIT- yup 165k a year.. wow.. good thing I risked my life in Iraq for a measly 27k per year..Let the witch hunt end.. there's other things in the US we need to fix like this inequality with the senate..
Yes. That's their salary. Do you think that's where the money is at when you're a lawmaker? I'm not sure what to say here. I don't want to offend anybody but honestly, 170k isn't very much money. One of my best friends is a MD and does 1.5m. Heck, the computer network administrator in my building makes 150k. In metropolitan areas, 170 grand a year isn't shit. A three-day hotel bill can be 20 grand! I know for a fact that I couldn't maintain my lifestyle on 170k/yr. That's not the point though. I know a congressman well. We used to talk openly but now he never says a word about money. He doesn't need to. I can see the estate he's living on. Even if they made a half a million a year in salary, that doesn't pay for the boats, planes, and all the other luxurys these guys and women afford.

OuchThatHurts said:
Yes. That's their salary. Do you think that's where the money is at when you're a lawmaker? I'm not sure what to say here. I don't want to offend anybody but honestly, 170k isn't very much money. One of my best friends is a MD and does 1.5m. Heck, the computer network administrator in my building makes 150k. In metropolitan areas, 170 grand a year isn't shit. A three-day hotel bill can be 20 grand! I know for a fact that I couldn't maintain my lifestyle on 170k/yr. That's not the point though. I know a congressman well. We used to talk openly but now he never says a word about money. He doesn't need to. I can see the estate he's living on. Even if they made a half a million a year in salary, that doesn't pay for the boats, planes, and all the other luxurys these guys and women afford.

no bro, i hear you. I know how the system works and where they get there money, although I do think 170k is alot of money when 90% of the US population doesn't make over 75k/year. Not arguing we just live very different livestyles I guess..LOL

ghostdog128 said:

lol I think i'll take a senators salary. I mean, who wouldnt want 3500dollar per WEEK. That'll pay for my 400k house mortgage in just one payment. yeah right, congressmen dont make money. And dont forget that most of these congressmen have "friends". A lot of them have their own businesses. Dick Cheney is the VP who's salary is, what, 300k? But his networth is over 30million, get the picture? Is everyone clueless how corrupt our government is? I mean, a fuckin cargo plane loaded with money flies out of USA into Iraq and somehow all that money disapears? Dont remember the black congressman who was bribed 100k that was found in his freezer? it goes on. You can get info on how many investigations are going into congressmen by the FBI for shit like that.

Last edited:
Golgo13 said:
They do the same thing to athletes and politicians every day. The media has no morals.
Well, you just gotta look at who's paying their salary. I think it was 50% that comes from the government. Also, the media is owned by wealthy individuals and it's not public. Also, it was said that it's NOT against the law for the media to report false news.

OuchThatHurts said:
I hope people wake up soon because we're becoming a police state. So much for all that thinking "outside the box" shit. You better think and act "inside the box" or you're going to have your rights taken away.

Your PAPERS please!!!

I AGREE.

I dont see how they can get Rick for shit. I mean think about it, he's already a bigshot lawyer who specializes in this,... i mean, what lawyer could bring him down. Plus most police teams who set up stings like this always fuck up somehow. They usually forget to get a warrant for something here and there, taper with eveidence when they are not supposed to,etc.. Rick will be all over this. I love guys like Rick. They are above the law.

Last edited:
OuchThatHurts said:

And George Bush has a $500,000 Christmas card allowance. You can't really look at their salary as what they make. Housing allowances, food allowances, travel expenses, and OuchThatHurts is right, it's all just the tip of the iceberg.

These lawyers go into politics as upper middle class/low upper class and end their careers as multimillionaires - you don't become a multimillionaire on $170k a year (still a lot to me though).

Example in point - Senator Phil Gram from Texas. Became a multimillionaire, retired in 2002 when the Enron scandal was fresh - his wife was on the board of directors. LOL, even cried when he decided to retire. Like he was making the ultimate sacrifice. Funny, the press just ignored his wife's connection to Enron.

Moral of the story is, steroids should be a non-issue. They are spun into an issue to keep the dumbied up average American distracted from what's really going on in this country.

confuzed_guy2000 said:
Moral of the story is, steroids should be a non-issue. They are spun into an issue to keep the dumbied up average American distracted from what's really going on in this country.
Man, I'm so glad I'm not the only one here who sees right through this spoon-fed propaganda!

I get scared when they start force-feeding us Jolie getting knocked up or Martha Stewart getting pinched for insider trading. That's when you know they DON'T want your attention where it should be. And God knows what's going on there. I don't even like to think about it.

Here's the kicker. The things they do, the wars and killing, they think they are being patriotic and doing what's in our nation's best interest by going to war to gain control of depleting oil fields. I don't see us storming into N. Korea to take away their WMD's. There's no oil there. Or in Somalia. And Afghanistan? Well, there's no oil in Afghanistan but what there is is Cheney's HUGE pipeline contract bringing in oil from the Caspian Sea. And N. Korea wants $USD$ and they'll stop weapons production??? HA!!!! What a POLITICAL debacle that would be!

And why shouldn't they think it's in the nation's best interest? Americans WANT big cars and to buy and consume as much as possible. Americans make up 5% of the world's population but we now use close to 50% of the gross global product (GGP). Including oil. Our greed has run amuck and these politicians and killers are merely the instruments of that greed. They are just giving an addicted nation the fix we desparately need. I better stop. This stuff throws me half into a rage.

The Age of Oil is coming to a close my friends and there will be wars upon wars just as in every other age. It seems inevitable at this point. I'm taking this over to DiscussWorldIssues... LOL... sorry for going O/T.

Later brothers and sisters. Buckle your seatbelts...

OuchThatHurts said:
Man, I'm so glad I'm not the only one here who sees right through this spoon-fed propaganda!

I get scared when they start force-feeding us Jolie getting knocked up or Martha Stewart getting pinched for insider trading. That's when you know they DON'T want your attention where it should be. And God knows what's going on there. I don't even like to think about it.

Here's the kicker. The things they do, the wars and killing, they think they are being patriotic and doing what's in our nation's best interest by going to war to gain control of depleting oil fields. I don't see us storming into N. Korea to take away their WMD's. There's no oil there. Or in Somalia. And Afghanistan? Well, there's no oil in Afghanistan but what there is is Cheney's HUGE pipeline contract bringing in oil from the Caspian Sea. And N. Korea wants $USD$ and they'll stop weapons production??? HA!!!! What a POLITICAL debacle that would be!

And why shouldn't they think it's in the nation's best interest? Americans WANT big cars and to buy and consume as much as possible. Americans make up 5% of the world's population but we now use close to 50% of the gross global product (GGP). Including oil. Our greed has run amuck and these politicians and killers are merely the instruments of that greed. They are just giving an addicted nation the fix we desparately need. I better stop. This stuff throws me half into a rage.

The Age of Oil is coming to a close my friends and there will be wars upon wars just as in every other age. It seems inevitable at this point. I'm taking this over to DiscussWorldIssues... LOL... sorry for going O/T.

Later brothers and sisters. Buckle your seatbelts...

Amen... Just thought I'd throw that in before this thread gets locked :D

But hang in there Rick, we're pulling for ya!

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws