over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Something to always remember

docbod

Newbies
Something happened to me this evening and I thought it appropriate to mention it here. Let me preface this by admitting that I am new here and do not regularly post on any message forums. Even my Mustang club website, I hardly ever post. Last week I did a national qualifier NPC show. I got called out for the top 5 in both middleweight and master's 40-49. I say this not to brag on myself, but to add weight to what I say here, in that I am a serious, somewhat successful bodybuilder. Since the show was only a week ago, I still have a lot of definition, though not shredded. I am 5' 10'" and about 200 pounds with a 30 inch waist. I notice, like a lot of you probably do, that I get stared at and noticed a lot. I can't say that I am yet comfortable with this, but it comes with the territory I guess. Sometimes, I may even get tired of it, and develop an "attitude". Not one of "I'm better than you, look at me", but one of "leave me alone, stop staring at me just because I work my ass off at the gym to look like this" sort of attitude. Anyway, I know this may be odd to you by now, but there is a purpose and it brings me to my reason for writing this tonight. After my workout, my wife (training partner) and I go to IHOP for our weekly treat of an egg-beater Garden Omelet and Harvest Grain and Nut pancakes with no butter and no cheese. As they are bringing our food, I see something out of the corner of my eye approach our table. It is an older gentleman pushing a walker. I look up and he smiles at me and remarks to me that I look very good. He jokingly asks me if I work out. I smile back at him and reply that I do every now and then. As he is leaving I realize that this man put out a lot of effort to push his walker across a restaurant dining room just to tell me this. I then think about how my response may have affected him. I guess what I am trying to say is we are all ambassadors of this sport or pursuit of bodybuilding. Whether you realize it or not, people are watching and looking at you. Your actions and reactions are what people use to judge us all by. People look up to someone who can make their body look like we do, and also respect the time energy, sweat, discipline, etc., that it takes to do it. I could have blown this guy off and justified it by telling myself that I needed to eat, and I didn't have time to talk to someone. But, I did take the time...smiled and spoke with him, and thanked him genuinely for taking the trouble to come over and tell me what I know truly must have been difficult for him...in more ways than one, both physically and emotionally. I apologize if this rambled, but a great writer I am not. Scientist yes, novelist, no. Remember, someone is always watching, and you may have an opportunity to affect someone in a positive manner and give them a good idea of what a true bodybuilder is really like on the inside.

No paragraphs hard to read, first post and you are in here preaching to all of vets WTF

Then I got about half way down. You make good sense. It wouldn't hurt any of us to take an extra second especially with older people you never know what their situation is in life and heck we can all use a friendly smile no matter how old we are.

Thanks for the reminder.

Keep on brother.

CROWLER

Last edited:

I dont go out of my way to be overly nice to anyone wheelchair, walker whatever. Most people dont understand the sport and they never will. I use to see people in the store I worked at flipping through the muscle mags and saying "yeah they use steroids" and "thats just ugly, repulsive".

They are goin to assume that you use steroids if you ever progress in the sport. So eventully your only benifiting yourself to use them.- DEXTER JACKSON as best as I can quote him.

I know this wasnt a steroid discussion but it opened the door to one.

docbod said:
Something happened to me this evening and I thought it appropriate to mention it here. Let me preface this by admitting that I am new here and do not regularly post on any message forums. Even my Mustang club website, I hardly ever post. Last week I did a national qualifier NPC show. I got called out for the top 5 in both middleweight and master's 40-49. I say this not to brag on myself, but to add weight to what I say here, in that I am a serious, somewhat successful bodybuilder. Since the show was only a week ago, I still have a lot of definition, though not shredded. I am 5' 10'" and about 200 pounds with a 30 inch waist. I notice, like a lot of you probably do, that I get stared at and noticed a lot. I can't say that I am yet comfortable with this, but it comes with the territory I guess. Sometimes, I may even get tired of it, and develop an "attitude". Not one of "I'm better than you, look at me", but one of "leave me alone, stop staring at me just because I work my ass off at the gym to look like this" sort of attitude. Anyway, I know this may be odd to you by now, but there is a purpose and it brings me to my reason for writing this tonight. After my workout, my wife (training partner) and I go to IHOP for our weekly treat of an egg-beater Garden Omelet and Harvest Grain and Nut pancakes with no butter and no cheese. As they are bringing our food, I see something out of the corner of my eye approach our table. It is an older gentleman pushing a walker. I look up and he smiles at me and remarks to me that I look very good. He jokingly asks me if I work out. I smile back at him and reply that I do every now and then. As he is leaving I realize that this man put out a lot of effort to push his walker across a restaurant dining room just to tell me this. I then think about how my response may have affected him. I guess what I am trying to say is we are all ambassadors of this sport or pursuit of bodybuilding. Whether you realize it or not, people are watching and looking at you. Your actions and reactions are what people use to judge us all by. People look up to someone who can make their body look like we do, and also respect the time energy, sweat, discipline, etc., that it takes to do it. I could have blown this guy off and justified it by telling myself that I needed to eat, and I didn't have time to talk to someone. But, I did take the time...smiled and spoke with him, and thanked him genuinely for taking the trouble to come over and tell me what I know truly must have been difficult for him...in more ways than one, both physically and emotionally. I apologize if this rambled, but a great writer I am not. Scientist yes, novelist, no. Remember, someone is always watching, and you may have an opportunity to affect someone in a positive manner and give them a good idea of what a true bodybuilder is really like on the inside.

doc thats very true, people watch every move you make & pay attention to every word you say. Not saying everyone should be expected to be perfect, because yeah were all humans. But in most peoples eyes were a little more than that so they expect us to act like that maybe out of instinctive respect for the bigger or more in shape defined person. Thats all just part of the game though you want the look you gotta be responsible for what comes with it :D

First of all, thankyou for posting. Probably one of the better post I've read in the past week. Many members are vets here and know of what you speak. It's very important for the future of this sport (way of life for many of us) to put forth a positive attitude. Taking the time to explain "why" you look the way you do, for many of us is precisely why we decided to take it to that level to begin with...so people notice you. Attach a positive, caring attitude to that individuality and watch the sport grow in acceptance. Simple as that.
Be an asshole in the midst of a growing epidemic of misinformation regarding steroids and watch the sport continue to lose acceptance.
I'm reminded of something a business partner once told me," Treat a customer well and they're bound to tell a few close friends. Treat a customer poorly and they're bound to tell EVERYONE including their enimies.

I no longer compete and haven't used AAS since my daughter was born. I may consider HRT in a few years but for now my attentions are on my career and my family. It took me many years to realize how selfish the sport can be. To be able to balance a competitive career along side work and family is possible but demands discipline far greater than most here are willing to put forth. From your post I assume your in your early 40's and have an extensive competitive career under your belt. This board needs more members like you who are willing to share the knowledge you've aquired over the years.
You bring a voice of reason to the board and I'm damn glad you popped in.
Keep up the great attitude. You do us all a great service.

so true

their are people out there that r good people that have honest good questions and just want to give u compliments. But these people in my experience are few and far between. I also get sick of the "stare" and the stupid questions that u just want to laugh at and walk away from or make the peson feel real stupid for asking. IMO their are respectful and considerate ways to ask a person about their lifes and what they do, and to compliment them on it. I guess its my environment, but when u get asked "how much u bench?" or "do u work out?" once a week it gets old. To reiterate their are good people that I do give respectful answers and thanx to, but their are way too many morons that ask fukn dumb + disrespectful ?'s they force lifters of all kinds to not make eye contact, and to blow people off.
"Their is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people."
gooey

Last edited:
You really shouldn't take offense when people stare. People sometimes just don't know what to say so they ask stupid questions like "do you lift weights" "how much can you bench" or "do you take steroids." Don't blame them for being ignorant, but when they ask that last question, that's downright wrong. People do come up to me and say I look "good" "buff" "yoked" (and other terms an ol' man never heard of) - I always thank people when they say something like that. When people ask the stupid questions, I generally give a stupid answer, but smile, so they're wondering if I'm bullshitting with them (or hopefully make them think they asked a stupid question).

I recently saw an old friend on the street and they asked me if I still worked out. I told them no and their eyeballs nearly fell on the ground. After that "look," I just had to tell them of course I'm still working out.

Good post doc - I don't think it was preachy at all. Treating people respectfully when they are respectful to you is what everyone should be practicing, bodybuilder or not. The only time I disrespect someone is when they disrespect me, so short of some saying "I could like you if I took drugs" etc. I'm happy to answer "what do you bench", "do you work out", "whats good for chest", "what is a good diet to lose weight", etc. I'm not put off by questions like that from anybody, no matter how often I hear them. I think that for the most part it's a compliment that people would ask me those questions. Of course you have to judge when someone is asking just to be a wise-ass or tough-guy and giving you that "asshole" tone of voice or whatever. But short of that, be polite and make folks feel like you're a good person, not some self-absorbed, ego-maniac, with an "I'm the best" mentality... oh and quit kissing your own biceps in public, and calling them "gunz" that seems to get some weird looks :p

DrG

Welcome to the board and thanks for the good post. I have always been greatful to the bodybuilders who took time to speak kindly to me when I was starting out (Dave Draper and Rick Wayne to name two). Though not a Pro, I am always glad when someone makes a positive comment about the shape I'm in and am always glad to encourage them to work out themselves and suprise themselves with the positive changes they can make.

your brother in Christ,

Lucky

GREAT post and most know that I post on this very topic ad nauseum. lol I think it is everyone's responsibility to shed positive light on this sport and take the time to talk with whomever has a question or comment unless it is simply disrespectful. I know alot of us have become jaded when it comes to this but it is incredibly important for the minority that ask legitimate questions and are legitimately intrigued, curious, interested, etc..

I liken it to giving a couple bucks to the "homeless" guy on the corner. Yeah, he probably will go get a bottle of mad dog with it but if one out of 20 doesn't and actually does something worthwhile with it, that is a good thing. Give and do the right thing so that at least you know you did your part. If they do nothing with the info they get from you or the interaction, that is THERE issue, not yours.

I work hard to project this sport in a positive light and when someone doesn't do their part, it makes my efforts worth that much less.

Skip

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner