over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Steroids/Immune System/Upper Respiratory Infections

L

littlemack

All of these colds and respiratory infections have got me thinking about something lately. So here's a question for all you smarty pants out there. :D
In some of my research, I see that steroids suppress your immune system which is terribly problematic for us bodybuilders and athletes. Viruses that lead to bacterial infections that are upper respiratory are a real problem for athletes in general it seems. Heavy, fatiguing, training also seems to lower the immune system, but moderate or light exercise seems to help build it up. I don't know anything about this light/moderate exercise stuff and I doubt you guys do either(hahaha). So anyway, my question is what do you guys do when you get a bad bug that lasts like 3-4 weeks or longer and that you just can't shake. Do you stop using gear all together? Or do you cut back to a really minimal dose? How much of an affect does gear have in suppressing the immune system? Does it wipe it out or does it just tax it moderately? If you have to stop cold turkey, then what does it do to your bodies chemistry? I guess every case would be a little different. My family and I are all under the weather and have had this bug for almost 4 weeks and so its got me thinkin' about this stuff.

I guess I am lucky because I don't seem to get sick much. (Maybe I have already been exposed to everything? :D ) But first, I would say if you are on gear and get sick and stay sick for weeks, you def need an antibiotic since it probably has turned into a bacterial infection, even if it was initially a viral one. This is common in sinus infections, particularly. Even if you stopped gear completely the day you got sick, it would take weeks for its effects to completely subside and your body to "normalize". Too late for the immediate infection. While on gear, paying attention to not getting overtrained, watching your nutrition, good rest, and washing your hands will go a long way. And if you do get sick, take the time off from the training needed for your body to fight the infection.

+ let me add, when there are kids in the house. Germs get passed around a LOT more. I remember that!!

Last edited:
I usually fight it out, but cut training back by about 1/3 and eventually it goes away, but i always feel kinda sick on cycle's. Heres my new immune battleplan
Black edelberry extract
colodial silver
astralagus
olive leaf extract
beta glucans
vit c, mulit, daily b12 shots, 1cc per week bcomplex
airborn

Have never really gotten sick while on! I have got the cold or flu after coming off though. All you can do is take a break from training and let your body recover. Eat, sleep and do everything you can to pick up your immune system. I know research says aas will lower immune system but I always thought that while on your immune system is actually slightly enhanced along with some body systems. When you stop that's when your immune system takes a big hit. This is when you will be more likely to get sick.

What ive been led to believe is that its not AAS themselves that are immunosuppressive (some of them even improve immune function, at least AIDS patients showed signs of improvement given treatment with nandrolone and oxandrolone, which obviously wouldnt be the case if AAS suppressed their already beat down immune function even further), its the body compensating for high levels of anabolics, by releasing excessive cortisol. Now corticosteroids are VERY immunosuppressive and most of us know this for a fact. Throw in the fact that signs of immunosuppression are most obvious in users being on prolonged cycles, and you have your possible answer.

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner