over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Teaching jobs in Florida

aufootballar9911

Newbies
Thinking of moving to Florida to find a P.E/Health teaching job. Any of you guys in this same field and know of any places that are good areas for this field. As of right now Im leaning towards Daytona area because I have a friend already living in that area. I also coach football, so if anyone knows of any openings or is a coach as well and needs an assistant that could help me land a teaching job let me know.

Florida is trying to pass a bill that regulates teachers pay scale on the students standardized test scores. I'd check out the job availability in the Volusia county district or maybe Orange county if you speak spanish.

This is only second hand knowledge, but I have a couple of friends that teach here in Florida, and there are not many openings. In fact, in the area i live the school systems laid off many teachers this past year. From what i've been told it's statewide. But like I saiid that coming from teachers I know. It has something to do with florida's tax cuts. But double check, my info could be old news.

New Smyrna

Thinking of moving to Florida to find a P.E/Health teaching job. Any of you guys in this same field and know of any places that are good areas for this field. As of right now Im leaning towards Daytona area because I have a friend already living in that area. I also coach football, so if anyone knows of any openings or is a coach as well and needs an assistant that could help me land a teaching job let me know.

New Smyrna High School, the Head Coach's name is Lance Jenkins, call him directly.

Florida is trying to pass a bill that regulates teachers pay scale on the students standardized test scores. I'd check out the job availability in the Volusia county district or maybe Orange county if you speak spanish.

Charlie Crist voted to not pass that bill. Probably one of the only good things he's done since in office.

Check with Volusia and Orange county, possibly Hillsborough too. Orange and Hillsborough are larger counties with more schools, so you might have better luck there.

Unfortunately that bill didnt pass, so you dont need to look into that. Hillsborough County has a tremendous amout of students....Id certainly check there.

Unfortunately that bill didnt pass, so you dont need to look into that. Hillsborough County has a tremendous amout of students....Id certainly check there.

I live in Hillsborough County and there are zero P.E. jobs available... Literally zero as I just checked again. I had a temporary position last year and it was taken in the pool so I was out of a job and have found nothing in either Hillsborough, Pasco, or Pinellas counties because of the influx of P.E. teachers and lack of jobs. I would recommend getting certified in General Elementary, Math, or Science if you want something quickly. There are teaching jobs, just not in P.E. Also, Health is not taught at the Elementary level and I do not think at the secondary level (at least in my county). It's a shame, but that's yet another reason why the adolescent obesity epidemic is reaching over 40%.

I hope you mean fortunately. Basing a teacher's pay off of test scores is no way to run an educational system. That is like paying a trainer based on a client's results. Does your client show up for workouts? Do they eat properly? Do they get their spouses support at home? Do they do their cardio? Are they genetically gifted? Too many variables. Teachers do need to be held accountable for their craft, but simply basing it off of test scores is an ignorant way to do it.

I hope you mean fortunately. Basing a teacher's pay off of test scores is no way to run an educational system. That is like paying a trainer based on a client's results. Does your client show up for workouts? Do they eat properly? Do they get their spouses support at home? Do they do their cardio? Are they genetically gifted? Too many variables. Teachers do need to be held accountable for their craft, but simply basing it off of test scores is an ignorant way to do it.

I agree with you if that's 100% of the criteria. But, it should be part of the criteria in a performace eval.

Oh. That sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. Id not want to be any part of that.

That is a most fortunate thing it didnt pass. Thank goodness someone had the smarts to bring that bill down.

Smart analogy! I hadnt though of that one, but that is on the button.

I know in my area of the country there are no teaching jobs either. Im certified in CHemistry, Biology, and general science and cant find a job. Special ed is where its at for jobs, secondary math is good too.

Im letting my license expire this summer. No use in spending thousands of dollars and many hours taking classes if there arent any jobs. Very frustrating. SOmetimes its hard too if you have experience and a masters degree like I do. SOme districts like to hire kids right out of college to keep payroll down.

That is a most fortunate thing it didnt pass. Thank goodness someone had the smarts to bring that bill down.

It'll be rewritten a different way to try again. C. Crist didn't sign it due to an upcoming election. He wavered on it several times and finally did the right thing.

It'll be rewritten a different way to try again. C. Crist didn't sign it due to an upcoming election. He wavered on it several times and finally did the right thing.

I really dont see anyway that it should be linked to a teacher's pay. As it is, the Principal observes your classes as many times a year as they please, and its mandatory I think at least 4 times in order to renew your contract. At the schools I taught at, 2 of the 4 visits were spontaneous and you have no idea they are coming so you cant plan ahead!

Like the other person posted on this thread, too many variables affect those test scores. If its based on state proficiency tests, those are given just once a year so you couldnt even look for improvement as a criterea.

Believe me, the principal knows who the good and bad teachers are. IN this economy they dont have to hang onto bad teachers out of fear of not finding a new one because there is a line around the block of eager young teachers frothing at the bit to get into the classroom. The young guns just getting out of college are willing to go through just about anything to get a job, so even if its not a nice school district the jobs fill fast. Even the inner city here has no jobs. If the administration wants to get rid of you, they will find a way.

I agree with you if that's 100% of the criteria. But, it should be part of the criteria in a performace eval.

Well... That's a very slippery slope. Who's to say standardized test scores can't be effected by the teachers themselves. Why not make mention that a pre-test really doesn't mean much and then when the post-test comes up help the students out a little more than you should. I have proctored for the FCATS and it would be easy for a teahcer to tell a student an answer, especially when it is based on their pay. Immoral, absolutely. But I'm sure it would happen. Obviously, teachers need to be held accountable for their methods and results. Testing isn't it. I believe that observation by a 3rd party would be the best bet. But who's to say? What we do know is our educational system is broken and having tenure be a safety net for all the "bad" teachers is not the answer. There has to be something done because I have witnessed first hand, in only 4 months of teaching, some awfully disappointing things.

Well... That's a very slippery slope. Who's to say standardized test scores can't be effected by the teachers themselves. Why not make mention that a pre-test really doesn't mean much and then when the post-test comes up help the students out a little more than you should. I have proctored for the FCATS and it would be easy for a teahcer to tell a student an answer, especially when it is based on their pay. Immoral, absolutely. But I'm sure it would happen. Obviously, teachers need to be held accountable for their methods and results. Testing isn't it. I believe that observation by a 3rd party would be the best bet. But who's to say? What we do know is our educational system is broken and having tenure be a safety net for all the "bad" teachers is not the answer. There has to be something done because I have witnessed first hand, in only 4 months of teaching, some awfully disappointing things.

If the school has a good principal, then even bad teachers on tenure arent safe from losing their jobs. Ive seen myself 2 tenured teachers driven out of a school dristrict after their performance fell to dismal levels. Just because a teacher is tenured doesnt mean they are untouchable. The teachers I saw lose their jobs fought back too with the teacher's union.

I really dont see anyway that it should be linked to a teacher's pay. As it is, the Principal observes your classes as many times a year as they please, and its mandatory I think at least 4 times in order to renew your contract. At the schools I taught at, 2 of the 4 visits were spontaneous and you have no idea they are coming so you cant plan ahead!

Like the other person posted on this thread, too many variables affect those test scores. If its based on state proficiency tests, those are given just once a year so you couldnt even look for improvement as a criterea.

Believe me, the principal knows who the good and bad teachers are. IN this economy they dont have to hang onto bad teachers out of fear of not finding a new one because there is a line around the block of eager young teachers frothing at the bit to get into the classroom. The young guns just getting out of college are willing to go through just about anything to get a job, so even if its not a nice school district the jobs fill fast. Even the inner city here has no jobs. If the administration wants to get rid of you, they will find a way.

Bingo!!! Excellent post. There are hundreds, if not thousands of teachers ready to take the place of a bad egg. I sent out over 150 resumes last year.... 2 responses... 0 interviews.

If the school has a good principal, then even bad teachers on tenure arent safe from losing their jobs. Ive seen myself 2 tenured teachers driven out of a school dristrict after their performance fell to dismal levels. Just because a teacher is tenured doesnt mean they are untouchable. The teachers I saw lose their jobs fought back too with the teacher's union.

This gives us all hope and I'm glad to know this. There should be more administrators like this one.

This gives us all hope and I'm glad to know this. There should be more administrators like this one.

Yes. I have seen personally the other sign of the coin. The high school where I did my student teaching was like that. The principal and the long time male teachers were a sort of good ole boys club. They were all close friends and it seemed like they didnt seperate business and friendship. When it came to doing the evalutations of these guys, he would go in the room and read the newspaper most of the class. Passing the evaluation was just a formality of going through the motions.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131