over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training Tempo

Oldwhitedude

Registered
Newbies
Just opening some training discussion.

I would like to hear the thoughts from the bodybuilders on here about training tempo and mind muscle connection.

For the purpose of the discussion what I'm defining as tempo is the speed and execution of the set.

An example of more controlled tempo:

An example of looser tempo:

My own personal opinion is that I like a mix of both. I prefer the looser tempo for one heavy exercise and then follow that up with multiple exercises where I'm more focused on control and execution.

Looking forward to learning from your experiences.

Just opening some training discussion.

I would like to hear the thoughts from the bodybuilders on here about training tempo and mind muscle connection.

For the purpose of the discussion what I'm defining as tempo is the speed and execution of the set.

An example of more controlled tempo:

An example of looser tempo:

My own personal opinion is that I like a mix of both. I prefer the looser tempo for one heavy exercise and then follow that up with multiple exercises where I'm more focused on control and execution.

Looking forward to learning from your experiences.

Quote by Shelby Starnes….”it depends”

Going purposely slow on the concentric is dumb IMO. You accelerate as fast as you can while keeping the intended form. But again it depends. In a very stretched position of a muscle, it would be a good idea to ease into it. Like you’re driving a SRT charger, you want to zoom, but the rule is you can’t bark the tires.

Also eccentric data is mixed or interpreted wrong. When more growth occurred in most of the studies, it was OVERLOADED eccentrics. Like, you can’t lift the weight up. We don’t do that often. Maybe cheaty drag curls, meadows side/rear delt destroyers….double up single down leg curls/extensions….

And some data shows that too slow an eccentric you lose the stretch reflex which hampers growth. The hypothesis is that the stretch reflex allows you to reverse the movement with more force usually at long muscle lengths (bonus to growth) and increased force=tension=more stimulus

But especially legs, people just squat, drop down, lower the sled by gravity and lose tension. Keep tension, control it, reverse the movement safely, then fucking send it. Repeat.

Bro talk…..lift however you enjoy the most and can go the hardest without fucking something up.

For most people getting stronger with the best form for you possible IE work the muscle you’re meant to be working for example for chest use your chest to move the weight not delts, triceps, momentum, stretch reflex etc etc.
dont need excessive tempos or anything fancy just adopt progressive overload in this fashion

For genetic elite doesn’t really matter just turn up to the gym and you’ve outgrown everyone already

I used to train more Ronnie style, just moving weights, but now I train exactly how Nick is training in that video. The gains have been much better.
This change was mostly out of necessity due to injuries originally, then I just found it worked better

I’ve noticed better results w a controlled and strong concentric, 3-4s eccentric and I’ll add a 2s pause in either the stretch or the squeeze position at times as well.

I find the pause in the stretched position to be a killer

I feel like it's more about mind muscle connection rather than form and tempo. Ronnie and said the way he did his exercises was the way he felt his muscles working the most, Jay said the same thing too. For me on many exercises i get a much better pump doing loose form and half reps than strict form and full range of motion.

I used to train more Ronnie style, just moving weights, but now I train exactly how Nick is training in that video. The gains have been much better.
This change was mostly out of necessity due to injuries originally, then I just found it worked better

Are you still doing alot of compound lifts and similar routine as before?

Are you still doing alot of compound lifts and similar routine as before?
Yeah man, still trained by the same coach as when we last spoke. Just changed up my overall lifting style and he’s on board with it
And for my squats, deads, benches I changed it up to be a little more controlled especially on the descent. Deadlifts I’m doing a lot of RDLs with tempo negatives and it seems to help my overall strength a lot.

Where as before I would just use acceleration and aggression to finish a deadlift before muscular strength actually played in, I feel a lot more strength now and can grind hard through sticking points. Before it was either flying up or it wasn’t coming up, I wasn’t able to grind

Now all my bodybuilding type accessory work, I will train with much more mind muscle connection similar to Nick Walker. At first I had a dip in strength, but now I’ve surpassed where I was before. Before I would train everything from lat pulldowns to dumbbell bench to curls Ronnie/Branch style

Physique wise my body looks completely different with these changes.
And when I hit the platform I will be lifting as fast and explosively as possible. But I’m not 25 anymore and can’t be dive bombing squats or gripping and ripping deads anymore

This might be a little more than what you asked for brother haha, but this might be of interest to anyone interested in being successful powerlifter while preventing injury and looking like a bodybuilder. Most people assume I’m a bodybuilder nowadays

I agree with the "It depends" mentality.

I get doms when I do a slower negative (3-4 seconds), pause, and explode rep tempo. That said, its not like doing a controlled tempo throughout the movement hasn't worked for me either. I've seen gains in strength and size with both. I feel like training hard with a weight you can control and continually trying to progress is the key. And that will look different for everyone.

I'm at a place where I am training as hard and as smart as my body allows. So, my definition of heavy is likely different than a lot of people on here might be.

Yeah man, still trained by the same coach as when we last spoke. Just changed up my overall lifting style and he’s on board with it
And for my squats, deads, benches I changed it up to be a little more controlled especially on the descent. Deadlifts I’m doing a lot of RDLs with tempo negatives and it seems to help my overall strength a lot.

Where as before I would just use acceleration and aggression to finish a deadlift before muscular strength actually played in, I feel a lot more strength now and can grind hard through sticking points. Before it was either flying up or it wasn’t coming up, I wasn’t able to grind

Now all my bodybuilding type accessory work, I will train with much more mind muscle connection similar to Nick Walker. At first I had a dip in strength, but now I’ve surpassed where I was before. Before I would train everything from lat pulldowns to dumbbell bench to curls Ronnie/Branch style

And when I hit the platform I will be lifting as fast and explosively as possible. But I’m not 25 anymore and can’t be dive bombing squats or gripping and ripping deads anymore

This might be a little more than what you asked for brother haha, but this might be of interest to anyone interested in being successful powerlifter while preventing injury and looking like a bodybuilder. Most people assume I’m a bodybuilder nowadays

Haha definitely not

Appreciate the detailed response and keep up the good work

One thing that has drastically improved my deadlift and bracing is deadstop RDLs/SLDLs.
(I feel the difference are just semantics between those two….hing with semi stiff knees..call it what you must)

I’ll control it down, and let it gently touch the ground, a very faint clank, but not lose tension, with a slight pause. then bring it back up trying to accelerate it as much as I can.

Very humbling. I’m a long torso guy, and my bracing and trunk stiffness has improved by leaps and bounds

I think a controlled excentric is for sure better, maybe not as slow as Nick does in his vids. It takes a way the pleassure of training for me as well. On compounds movements I tend to move a bit fast and slow down more on assistance.

Age and injuries forced me to slow down so I could lessen the weight to keep the rep range around 12-15. For me at almost 50 a true 4 -5 sec down brief pause then about 3 -4 sec raise has helped my joints no end. Is it ideal probably not but it means I can keep training

FAST but SMART with every key principle and hack integrated ( REST PAUSE, FORCED CONTRACTIONS, SLOW NEGATIVES, QUICK EXPLOSIONS, NO JOINT LOCKS)
I maybe take 15-30sec max in between sets. Ive been in a gym for 16+ years almost every day the last thing I want to do is spend more than an hour in a public gym with all the people around.

NOW, a totally empty gym, I would take my time more and be creative, but regardless, still high intensity and till failure, and keep myself guessing, I never stick to the same rep schemes or exercises, play it by ear, and SUFFER

FAST but SMART with every key principle and hack integrated ( REST PAUSE, FORCED CONTRACTIONS, SLOW NEGATIVES, QUICK EXPLOSIONS, NO JOINT LOCKS)
I maybe take 15-30sec max in between sets. Ive been in a gym for 16+ years almost every day the last thing I want to do is spend more than an hour in a public gym with all the people around.

NOW, a totally empty gym, I would take my time more and be creative, but regardless, still high intensity and till failure, and keep myself guessing, I never stick to the same rep schemes or exercises, play it by ear, and SUFFER
All good! but the “quick explosions” 👎
Please explain.

All good! but the “quick explosions” 👎
Please explain.
like I will explode quick on my eccentric (imagine a leg press, I will explode fast and drive from heels/glutes on the positive yet stop right before locking out joints on full exertion and lengthening of tissue, hold the forced contraction for a few 2-3 sec until it pisses me off and makes me mad, then I go super slow on the negative and suffer, and stop again an inch before rerack to hit the rest pause again on the negative. I tap into the evil side when I go in the gym and get busy, demon mode , the only time I listen to rap music or hardcore metal either haha

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws