over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Trapped nerve causing tricep weakness?

anabolic2k

Registered
Around 4 weeks ago i overstretched the muscle that lies under the left side of my trap which resulted in a trapped nerve in that area around my spine causing localised pain in that area and a stabbing pain running all down my left arm right down to my finger tips.

This also caused a total weakness in my left tricep - i litterally i went from 1 week benching 55kg dumbells for 8 reps down to the next week not even being able to do 2 reps with my usual 1st warm up set of 22.5kg db`s. Dips i can manage 10 negatives but not a hope of any positive reps. Any tricep extension work is also out of the question unless very light.

Ive had the area worked on by both my physio and chiro and the nerve appears to have released and the pain now completly gone from my back/neck and arm but the weakness is still there and doesnt appear to be getting any stronger. :banghead:

Has anybody here ever suffered similar and how long did the weakness last and what did you do to help correct the weakness and get the muscle back up to full strength.

any help would be appreciated :confused:

Stu.

I dealt with an nerve impingement on my left shoulder that affected my tricep in a similar manner, chiro helped me the most adjusted it until I got normal innervation and strength back.

Around 4 weeks ago i overstretched the muscle that lies under the left side of my trap which resulted in a trapped nerve in that area around my spine causing localised pain in that area and a stabbing pain running all down my left arm right down to my finger tips.

This also caused a total weakness in my left tricep - i litterally i went from 1 week benching 55kg dumbells for 8 reps down to the next week not even being able to do 2 reps with my usual 1st warm up set of 22.5kg db`s. Dips i can manage 10 negatives but not a hope of any positive reps. Any tricep extension work is also out of the question unless very light.

Ive had the area worked on by both my physio and chiro and the nerve appears to have released and the pain now completly gone from my back/neck and arm but the weakness is still there and doesnt appear to be getting any stronger. :banghead:

Has anybody here ever suffered similar and how long did the weakness last and what did you do to help correct the weakness and get the muscle back up to full strength.

Stu.

At work right now and cant talk, but I had the same thing except it was right delt and bicep weakness. PM me and Ill tell you what my doc had me do. It helped a lot and strength has come back. It might take until tonight before I have a chance to respond but that particular injury just sucks simply because its so annoying.

At work right now and cant talk, but I had the same thing except it was right delt and bicep weakness. PM me and Ill tell you what my doc had me do. It helped a lot and strength has come back. It might take until tonight before I have a chance to respond but that particular injury just sucks simply because its so annoying.

Cheers dude - pm`d!

I worked with a guy pretty built but years ago he landed akwardly on his neck and shoulder during a pick up football game. Similar thing happened to his tricep and he never regained the size or strength in it. Now that was a blunt for injury hopefully this is not nearly as bad or permanent

i tore a rhomboid muscle on my right side that inflamed and damaged a nerve coming outa my spinal column. my right triceps and pec were both basically paralyzed. the pain wasnt bad prone, but when i stood up gravity pulled on my scapula and it felt like a knife in my back. i couldnt even push over in bed, hold myself up against the wall.... they atrophied badly before i ended up in physical therapy. i started with band therapy and massage, christ, it sucked as i recall.took a long time to recover, months. and to this day, those muscles are weaker than on my left side.

Last edited:
I worked with a guy pretty built but years ago he landed akwardly on his neck and shoulder during a pick up football game. Similar thing happened to his tricep and he never regained the size or strength in it. Now that was a blunt for injury hopefully this is not nearly as bad or permanent

Ive heard several stories like this and im hoping this isnt the case!

Strangely enough my boxing hasnt suffered and i can still punch as hard as before but it seems more like a certain stabilizer muscle has gone astray somewhere!?!?!?

I.kknow iits, know it.s been years but hoping you are stolla member and can give some valuable advice?

I had a nerve problem in recent past that affected my calf. Massive loss in strength and size. Took me about 2-3 months (after rehab) to get back to 100%

I had a nerve problem in recent past that affected my calf. Massive loss in strength and size. Took me about 2-3 months (after rehab) to get back to 100%

Would you mind sharing your rehab protocol and what exactly did yo u do? I mean how did yo u rest or d the nerve and signals to the muscle, how you retain d,was it sciatica?

I have a recurring disc herniation at c6-c7 that has all but killed my left tricep. In 2010, and 2 years of working out, I got it back to full strength by 2012. However, September 2015 I popped the disc again, compressed the nerve and lost most of my size and strength down the rear head of my left tricep. I've been injecting 20mcg IGF into it daily trying to get it to respond, but so far it's a slow process. Def sucks balls.

Would you mind sharing your rehab protocol and what exactly did yo u do? I mean how did yo u rest or d the nerve and signals to the muscle, how you retain d,was it sciatica?

I went to a chiro for a couple months, don't know if that actually helped really lol. I believe the main thing was rest. I had major nerve inpingement. At its worst, I couldn't get my heel off the ground and had a numb foot.
Slowly, I was able to lift the heel off the ground etc. I didn't touch a weight for about 3 weeks. Then slowly I got back into lifting and I mean slowly.
The chiro had me on all sorts of stretches but half the time I didn't do them. Did they help? Maybe. But just plain rest I can say did the trick.

i tore a rhomboid muscle on my right side that inflamed and damaged a nerve coming outa my spinal column. my right triceps and pec were both basically paralyzed. the pain wasnt bad prone, but when i stood up gravity pulled on my scapula and it felt like a knife in my back. i couldnt even push over in bed, hold myself up against the wall.... they atrophied badly before i ended up in physical therapy. i started with band therapy and massage, christ, it sucked as i recall.took a long time to recover, months. and to this day, those muscles are weaker than on my left side.

Same exact thing happened to me 20 years ago. I tore my left Rhomboid, and to this day the muscles on my left side, starting at the pecs all the way down to my quads, are smaller and weaker than my right side

Muscle weakness from nerve irritation is something to take serious. Go to your medical doctor right away. The longer you wait to treat this the greater your chance this will be permanent. And boxing, that is the last thing I would do. At my work, when someone comes in with true muscle weakness as a result of spine pathology they get evaluated by the spine surgeons immediately. Oral steroids or injections of steroids onto the damaged nerves could be tried to see if this helps but if it doesn't spine surgery is usually done quickly.

As we can see from the responses, lots of people suffer from similar problems.

Would you mind posting it here so we can all benefit?

Thanks a ton in advance Bro

Stu.

never have this happen.

ive had what it felt like the right side of my body go numb during a massage.

Id say just keep working triceps, higher reps and see if you can get back to original weight you were doing, but keep reps higher , and see if itll eventually get back to where it was. dont push it though when you get frustrated bc it can cause damage which then your back to the problem again or worse

Dealing with ulnar nerve pain in left elbow. Only hurts during tricep exercises.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws