over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Traps with Back or Shoulders

ShortStop

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I've always trained Traps with shoulders. Now I do them with Back. I've been thru the Pros youtube training videos and it does vary on training styles. Some do them with back others with shoulders. I use to do back n biceps but now that I do arms on a separate day. I find they fit and flow much better in my back routine. I was just curious how you guys trained your Traps?? What exercises do u do besides shruggs?? I know that upright rows hit them but that's shoulder day. So let me hear your training style.

I started hitting them a little on both days recently. Before though I'd do it on back day. Here's a link to something I just started doing that I feel works great. Hits shoulders a bit too though. I usually do it immediately following a set of shrugs.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BC22E0ziEpc[/ame]

I do with back.... The way Markus ruhl (biggest traps I ever seen) does them... W dbs.. Hang full stretch at bottom for 3 seconds and let stretch down far as possible... Stuff delts into ears and hold peak 5 seconds... Release slowly down back into stretch...

I'll do two sets of these, then two sets for the rear traps bent over a little and pulling shoulder blades together... Sometimes I will do that rear trap exercise bigA gave with the incline bench on the low cable and just squeezing traps backwards, works really good too

I do with back.... The way Markus ruhl (biggest traps I ever seen) does them... W dbs.. Hang full stretch at bottom for 3 seconds and let stretch down far as possible... Stuff delts into ears and hold peak 5 seconds... Release slowly down back into stretch...

I'll do two sets of these, then two sets for the rear traps bent over a little and pulling shoulder blades together... Sometimes I will do that rear trap exercise bigA gave with the incline bench on the low cable and just squeezing traps backwards, works really good too

Did Big A post a vid of that or something? I've really made good progress with my traps but I'm always looking for something new to do. Oh and happy belated bday bro!!

both!
shrugs on back day and lateral raises with trap engagement on shoulder days

I like to train them directly with delts and they get plenty as well on back day with deads.

My traps get way to big if I train them directly anymore. When I was coming up I got my best results when I trained them with my BACK.
(BACK,TRAPS,BICEPS,FOREARMS)
Yea I'm getting better results on back day also. Now Idk if that was the switch or now there getting hit twice because they also get hit with shoulders as well.

Now that's something new. The rear Trap on the incline. I'm going to have to try that..
both!
shrugs on back day and lateral raises with trap engagement on shoulder days

I like to train them directly with delts and they get plenty as well on back day with deads.

Now this could be why I'm getting better results. I'm basically hitting my Traps twice a week now. I thought it was just the switch to back changing things up. Now I believe it's becuz my Traps are getting more volume of training per week

I was lamenting my traps the other day and then realized I don't really train them...so I can't blame them for lagging.

Time to add them back to...back day ;)

Oh I wanted to ask. Does anybody get like what feels like a migraine or a headache usually comes around the second day after working Traps. I have to really concentrate on just squeezing my Traps and not my neck muscles as well. I always get what feels like a headache like the 2nd day after traps. Does anybody else feel this or do you even notice it?? I'm always like damit I got another headace. Oh yea that's right I just worked my Traps. I know it's just stiff or sore muscles but it can feel even worse like a bad migraine if I get really crazy in there

Last edited:
Oh I wanted to ask. Does anybody get like what feels like a migraine or a headache usually comes around the second day after working Traps. I have to really concentrate on just squeezing my Traps and not my neck muscles as well. I always get what feels like a headache like the 2nd day after traps. Does anybody else feel this or do you even notice it?? I'm always like damit I got another headace. Oh yea that's right I just worked my Traps. I know it's just stiff or sore muscles but it can feel even worse like a bad migraine if I get really crazy in there

John meadows / mountaindog mentioned he gets migraines from training traps, so he doesn't...

And, since I'm following one of his contest prep log/programs that's why I'm not training them...

John meadows / mountaindog mentioned he gets migraines from training traps, so he doesn't...

And, since I'm following one of his contest prep log/programs that's why I'm not training them...

Yea ok.... I thought it was just me.... Like I said if I get crazy in there and over do it. Especially with the squeezing and the poundage. I can literally make myself sick go catabolic because I can't eat or drink nothing when I feel sick like that.
I took a friend back when I use to do them with shoulders and I killed him in there. He never use to workout and he wanted to go with me one day.. He got so sick for a couple of days. It feels like a really bad migraine. It can also get as bad as getting sick to your stomach. He actually missed work. I told him to take it easy but he didnt listen.. Needless to say he never came with me again..

TopGun that sounds like a tension headache, you are putting too much force on the neck. What I do is lean my neck forward and stick my head out in front of my body. This way all the tension is on the traps.

I used to train traps with shoulders. I switched to training them with back and between running out of time and forearms and hands giving up it seemed counterproductive. So I went back to training them with shoulders. I also feel that lateral raises hit them as well so that was another reason. So now I do them with shoulders again and usually do laterals, followed by upright rows, then end off with some type of shrug (alternate dbs and machine usually).

Pinning them helps expand the muscle as well... :D

Did Big A post a vid of that or something? I've really made good progress with my traps but I'm always looking for something new to do. Oh and happy belated bday bro!!

i can't rememeber... I've found two ways to do them basically-

1) setup an incline bench so its inclined and chest facing towards pulley... BigA said to do it underhand grip w EZ curl bar but my body prefers using the neutral grip pulldown bar thats about 2ft wide....lay chest on bench and let arms totally lock... then just pull your traps backwards kinda pulling your shoulder blades together... hits the traps that run down the top of the back downwards..

2) Just use the hammer strength low row machine... personally i use the overhand grip on that one bc the neutral grip on HS low row is very very narrow at the start and it doesn't let u pull the traps back far enough... the overhand grip lets u pull further back... i slide my ass all the way to the back of the seat and lean a little more forward than if i was doing rows...

3) can probably figure out 10 other machines to do it with... just keep arms locked and pull shoulder blades together pretty much, play w little different angles and grips...

And THANK YOU BROTHA!!! much appreciated!! :headbang:

Last edited:
I have no set routine so it's all mixed up. I train them on back or shoulder days. On an odd occasion I may walk in the gym and just think I am gonna destroy traps and nothing else but that is very rare.

As others have stated lean the head fractionally forward and nice and slow and controlled with traps going to the ears and holding. Sometimes it may be a 2 sec, 5 sec or even a 10 sec hold at the top. Full range of motion and make them burn. Sometimes I speed up the reps at the end of a set.

I rotate between db's, barbell, smith, cables and machines. I do like front and behind the back smith shrugs a lot though. One issue for me is I can't go too heavy on the smith due to my lower back. However I found a machine to combat this in many ways. If your gym has a hammer strength shoulder press similar to mine you could try that one day. I put the seat right to the bottom and stand on it and it feels amazing. I can position myself directly to the side of the handles and go extremely heavy without feel of injuring myself.

1) setup an incline bench so its inclined and chest facing towards pulley... BigA said to do it underhand grip w EZ curl bar but my body prefers using the neutral grip pulldown bar thats about 2ft wide....lay chest on bench and let arms totally lock... then just pull your traps backwards kinda pulling your shoulder blades together... hits the traps that run down the top of the back downwards..

2) Just use the hammer strength low row machine... personally i use the overhand grip on that one bc the neutral grip on HS low row is very very narrow at the start and it doesn't let u pull the traps back far enough... the overhand grip lets u pull further back... i slide my ass all the way to the back of the seat and lean a little more forward than if i was doing rows...

3) can probably figure out 10 other machines to do it with... just keep arms locked and pull shoulder blades together pretty much, play w little different angles and grips...

The first exercise you mentioned here is one of my favorites. Always on back day since the traps are an enormous muscle group and run almost all the way down the back .

this would happen to me.

then a little bird came to me.....sombitch landed
right on my shoulder and tweeted.....

"bury your chin into your clavicles"

:cool:

TopGun that sounds like a tension headache, you are putting too much force on the neck. What I do is lean my neck forward and stick my head out in front of my body. This way all the tension is on the traps.

I used to train traps with shoulders. I switched to training them with back and between running out of time and forearms and hands giving up it seemed counterproductive. So I went back to training them with shoulders. I also feel that lateral raises hit them as well so that was another reason. So now I do them with shoulders again and usually do laterals, followed by upright rows, then end off with some type of shrug (alternate dbs and machine usually).

Pinning them helps expand the muscle as well... :D

I have no set routine so it's all mixed up. I train them on back or shoulder days. On an odd occasion I may walk in the gym and just think I am gonna destroy traps and nothing else but that is very rare.

As others have stated lean the head fractionally forward and nice and slow and controlled with traps going to the ears and holding. Sometimes it may be a 2 sec, 5 sec or even a 10 sec hold at the top. Full range of motion and make them burn. Sometimes I speed up the reps at the end of a set.

I rotate between db's, barbell, smith, cables and machines. I do like front and behind the back smith shrugs a lot though. One issue for me is I can't go too heavy on the smith due to my lower back. However I found a machine to combat this in many ways. If your gym has a hammer strength shoulder press similar to mine you could try that one day. I put the seat right to the bottom and stand on it and it feels amazing. I can position myself directly to the side of the handles and go extremely heavy without feel of injuring myself.

this would happen to me.

then a little bird came to me.....sombitch landed
right on my shoulder and tweeted.....

"bury your chin into your clavicles"

:cool:

Yea I can tell I worked shoulders 2 days ago because I have a headace right now..
Its actually nice to hear that you even know what im talking about.....
I squeeze way to much. To much tension instead of just letting the muscle work. I like that "My chin to my clavicle" Tenny makes me laugh. He has this eloquent sarcasm I find funny...
I like doing shruggs with a smith machine behind me reverse shruggs... I feel like i can control.the muscle much better. Plus my hand grip will go way out before my Traps give out. I'm so short most of those smith's i don't even need the stopper. I don't have to hook the bar..
I get it. Now that I have some traps there getting easier to work or i should say see working. I can isolate much better if i can watch them work... If I could just find some girl to pay to massage my neck n shoulders for an hour. OMG! I'd be in heaven...
I would Pay $ 50 $100 an hr no problem.
Thanks for the wisdom gentlemen.

Great thanks. I will definitely give this a try. And no problem. Hope you enjoyed your bday.

traps pull delts push, I would never train them with shoulders.
-F2S

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear